Private Car Alert

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amfleet Fan

Service Attendant
I'll be traveling up to Montreal this weekend, taking the Adirondack northbound on 10/10 and Vermonter southbound on 10/14.

My friend who works for Amtrak sent me this e-mail, thought some here might find it interesting.

"Good Morning, my friend...

Well, you're down to 22 hours and counting. The numbers are still

climbing.

You're now departing NYP with 218 on-board, and 129 are going into MTR.

I tried pulling up your consist for tomorrow but it's still too early

for

details. You will have, though, a locomotive, baggage car, two

coaches, a

lounge car, and two more coaches. I did find out, however, that you

will be

taking two private cars from NYP to MTR. Second rearmost will be "Ohio

River" and on the rear will be "Kitchi Gammi Club."

If I find out your exact consist at a reasonable hour, I'll let you

know.

Talk to you later."

(21 hours and 15 minutes left !!!)

I wonder about that "Ohio River" private car. It might be the L&N pullman featured in Viewliner's webpage, "Historical Equipment Photos". Check that out and see if that is it when you make your trip. A pretty royal blue car.

L&N (Louisvlle and Nashville) was one of the old pre-Amtrak railroads which has long since been merged into today's CSX.

Wait a minute, Viewliner. If you were asking if that car was originally Monon, my answer is as above.

But if you mean was the L&N RR originally Monon, no, they were two very separate entities at least historically, though the complications of one railroad buying another's bit of track or two could complicate the answer. But the "big" L&N as such was a major railroad, the Monon a smaller operator, centered mainly around Indiana/Chicago. I guess Monon, too, is now part of CSX. (almost everything in the southeast/midwest is, that isn't Norfolk Southern).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back