Private Cars??

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmushial

OBS Chief
I've now read a couple times in the forum threads about "private cars." I've got some questions about such... is a private car truly a privately owned rail car - I presume a "passenger car," though probably made out to be a rolling hotel room? Or, is there no single definition of a private car, ie, they come in all flavors? Or, can they just be an Amtrak passenger car, but leased from Amtrak and used by the leasees for moving company people around or whatever? How many are there of these; and how often do they get attached to a scheduled Amtrak train? It sounds like they tend to get attached at the end of the normal train - is this more to allow for easy attach and cutting out; or to not interfere with the passengers of the Amtrak train moving around?

If someone(s) [sic] would care to pontificate on such - I would be most appreciative.

many thanks - greg

While you can certainly engage a car (or an entire train) by prior arrangement with Amtrak. For example, the NY Giants have used a private train when traveling to DC to play the Redskins.

That said, what is typically referred to are privately owned RR cars. Amtrak has very detailed specs for cars that it will accept to transport on the rear of its trains. For example, to travel on an Amtrak consist the car must have been converted to HEP.

More information is available on the excellent website of the Association of Private Railway Car Owners.

http://www.aaprco.com/

Private cars are generally cars that are owned by individuals (or corporations). Often, they are for the exclusive use of the owners. Many owners open up their cars to the public on designated trips, or if you've got enough money you can rent private cars that can run on just about any Amtrak or Via route. The cars are not owned by Amtrak, but those attached to Amtrak trains must meet physical standards that allow them to operate at Amtrak speeds.

Cars can be leased from Amtrak for the exclusive use of individual parties, but these are not generally referred to as private cars.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the posts and link... I remember reading that various of the super wealthy of the golden era had private Pullmans... but had thought that era was long gone. Again, thanks - greg

www.ozarkmountainrailcar.com

www.sterlingrail.com

About 300k a rail car ready to roll on Amtrak.

However the price to buy is smaller than the cost to maintain and run said railcar.

Google is your friend. The above web sites are just two of many.

There was a private car (I was told by another passenger) attached to the back of the EB that I came out on a few days ago. They must have been switched to the Seattle train at our overnight stop in Spokane, because when we got to Portland, they weren't there anymore. The people who got off at a stop in Montana to walk their dog did not appear to be wealthy, although I know appearance doesn't always tell you anything. I thought the car looked old, but very nice. It said "Pullman" on the side, so maybe the person who told me it was a private car was wrong?

There was a private car (I was told by another passenger) attached to the back of the EB that I came out on a few days ago. They must have been switched to the Seattle train at our overnight stop in Spokane, because when we got to Portland, they weren't there anymore. The people who got off at a stop in Montana to walk their dog did not appear to be wealthy, although I know appearance doesn't always tell you anything. I thought the car looked old, but very nice. It said "Pullman" on the side, so maybe the person who told me it was a private car was wrong?
It was a private car. No Amtrak cars are labeled Pullman. Many private car owners paint their cars in the colors of old time railroads.

So far as I know most private cars are preAmtrak equipment usually redone inside to meet the owners likes..PreAmtrak means built before 1971 and that usually in the 40s and 50s

Often such cars were built of stainless steel and that helps keep down corrosion

When I rode the LSL NYP - CHI last year with my son their was a private car in back that a couple had rented for their ?? anniversary and had invited their kids / grandkids along. They had a big group and many had roomette reservations on the normal train, but they ended up eating and hanging out in the private car most of the trip (they had to cut through the baggage car to get there?). Made the dinning car much less crowded than normal.

Back