Propane on Amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey; I only want to see National Guardsmen carrying guns; "well organized milita"!! Read the full text, not just the part you like!!
I'll jump into the deep end of the pool, and admit I agree with you.

Back around 1776, there was a concern that the newly formed federal government might attempt to seize additional power away from the States. One of the first steps to this happening, would be the federal government taking away the right of States to form and maintain their own well armed organized militia. I mean, state militias were the last line of defense the States had, to anyone attempting to take them over. What would happen to the States, if a dictator managed to gain control of the newly formed federal government (if you think this is impossible, think of, later on, Hitler gaining control as a dictator over Germany's democratic government).

Yea, 200+ years later, it is difficult for most Americans to envision the federal government taking power away from the States. The federal government has already grown in power to far beyond any of the Founding Fathers would have ever envisioned in 1776. In other words, the federal government has already assumed for itself, powers far far beyond those of each State.

So, to me, the 2nd Amendment is really a right of the States, not the right of individuals.

OK, I'm ready. Attack me. I'm use to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back