Purchasing 2 adjoining bedrooms for themselves?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kbyrdleroydogg

Train Attendant
I was thinking of doing this as a way to stretch out and have more room. I can keep one bed down and relax on the sofa of the other.
Has anyone else done this?

I was thinking of doing this as a way to stretch out and have more room. I can keep one bed down and relax on the sofa of the other.
Has anyone else done this?
Haven't done it, but they probably will do it. I know they'll do it for 2 pax, it's a Bedroom Suite. You'll need to call to do it, but there may be a minimum occupancy requirement (1 per room).

It would never occur to me to spend the money for two Bedrooms just for myself, I content myself with roomettes.

My wife and I (just the two of us) had Bedroom Suite D-E on The Empire Builder departing CHI for SEA on 24 December 2015. Just wanted to be on the train Christmas Day for no good reason other than being a railfan and we arrived in Seattle on 26 December. It was, indeed, a great trip with all that room. My personal opinion has always been that Bedroom E in the best room on the Superliners--and all that room made it even better. Glad I did that trip then. Fare was $1316 total in 2015--same trip recently dummy booked would be over $4000!!! today.

My wife and I traveled to Albuquerque with my sister to visit our childhood home. We got adjoining bedrooms. By day we opened the door between the two rooms for extra space and visiting. At night we closed the door so my sister could have privacy. It worked out great. (Most of the time my sister and wife were in one room talking up a storm and I was in the other room happily reading by myself.)

For what Amtrak charges for two Bedrooms, one could probably get an accommodation in a Private car, although with many restrictions on routing and schedule. But I would look into that before gambling $5,000 on a suite for one person where they might not be able to open the adjoining door.

For what Amtrak charges for two Bedrooms, one could probably get an accommodation in a Private car, although with many restrictions on routing and schedule. But I would look into that before gambling $5,000 on a suite for one person where they might not be able to open the adjoining door.
To which private car do you refer?

A private car is a good idea, but finding availability is few and far between. You also have to be in contact with the right people.

Back