Put Bicycle in large bag?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking to take a bike trip from NJ to Balitmore; just me, my bike, and a few small things.

I want to take an Amtrak Train from Baltimore Penn Station to MetroPark or Newark, but I called up and asked about bikes on board and they said no, and there isn't a baggage car.

Would it be possible to take my bike apart (not a problem for me) and put the bike in a bag like this:

NS-BCC-NCL-ANGLE.jpg

(or see bag here)

The bags dimensions are pretty big; 47"x32" but only 6" wide, and it'll be fairly light cause my bike is light. And I certainly won't be needing any assistance with it.

I know people do this with airlines cause they specifically don't allow bikes or charge outragious fees for them, so they pack it away in a box and say its art, gym equipment, or something.

The train I'm looking to take is around 1-2pm on a Monday, could I get away with this?

I've taken this train before when I used to go to school in Baltimore about 6 years ago, but haven't taken it since, so I'm unfamiliar with how strict they are.

Thanks for any help.

Mike

Amtrak does have a page about transporting bicycles..

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServe...487&ssid=43

Among other things, it says specifically:

You can bring your bicycle on Amtrak as checked baggage between all cities where checked baggage services are offered. Keep in mind that not all stations or trains have checked baggage service, and that baggage service may not be available every day. For more information, please call 1-800-USA-RAIL (1-800-872-7245) or your agent.

Baltimore has checked baggage service from 6 am to 10 pm.

Newark has checked baggage service from 5:30 am to 10:30 pm.

My guess would be that you should be able to have the bicycle carried as checked baggage, but it would have to be on one of the trains that has checked baggage and serves both those stations. So I would talk to the originating station's agent and ask them how to do that. I would expect they will require you to show your are ticketed between that city pair for that day. Whether they allow a bag, or require a box, or whatever, is up to the agent or conductor, I guess. But from the web site it does sound like they ought to be able to handle this. Unfortunately I can't give you any personal experience on this one as I'm in Florida.

Thats a tough one. I don't think you'll be allowed onboard with a carry on of that size even if it's light. Amtrak's policy is that no carry on bag can exceed 28x22x14. You could try but it would be an awful shame to be denied boarding on the platform.

That said, I took my skis with my on a ski trip on the Vermonter last winter. I didn't even think twice about it. But I just found this on the amtrak site:

Ski equipment, snowboards, golf clubs and bicycles may generally only be handled as checked baggage on Amtrak trains, and not as carry-ons. Items are permitted onboard when they can be safely stowed in the exterior lockers of Superliner equipment, or onboard equipment that is specifically designed to safely and securely accommodate the storage of the items.
It appears I got away with bringing my skis with me on the Vermonter, which has no checked baggage. No-one mentioned anything when I boarded in DC, or on the return trip from Vermont. Thinking back, I would have been mad-as-fire if they didn't allow me to bring my skis on a train serving the Vermont ski areas.

So I was able to bring my skis, which is apparantly against Amtrak's policy. Maybe you'll have a similar experience with a bike. I think it's risky though.

Baltimore has checked baggage service from 6 am to 10 pm.
Newark has checked baggage service from 5:30 am to 10:30 pm.

My guess would be that you should be able to have the bicycle carried as checked baggage, but it would have to be on one of the trains that has checked baggage and serves both those stations. So I would talk to the originating station's agent and ask them how to do that. I would expect they will require you to show your are ticketed between that city pair for that day. Whether they allow a bag, or require a box, or whatever, is up to the agent or conductor, I guess. But from the web site it does sound like they ought to be able to handle this. Unfortunately I can't give you any personal experience on this one as I'm in Florida.
Good catch AmtrakWPK. My initial thought was that there was no checked baggage on the corridor, since neither the Silver service trains, nor the Palmetto carry local pax between NY and DC. But that thought is incorrect as there seems to be two trains that handle checked bags locally: The Carolinian (79/80) and Regional (66/67).

Looks like the Carolinian will work in this case as it departs Newark at 7:36 AM and arrive Baltimore at 9:58.

66/67 does not stop at Newark.

As for you JerseysBest - I would take this early train instead of the 1PM regional you were going to take. This is probably better as the Carolinian is usually cheaper than the regionals.

Last edited by a moderator:
After looking even further into the system timetable (Spring/Summer 2007) it looks like you wouldn't be able to make a return trip!

The schedule says the northbound Carolinian #80 stops only to discharge passengers!! Also, baggage service is not even offered at Baltimore for the northbound train! The northbound 66 does not offer baggage service at Newark!

Is this a misprint? How could Amtrak allow baggage southbound at Baltimore but not northbound? Seem silly.

Wow.

Well, again, I would call and talk to the station agents at the stations involved (Not at the 800 number where they may not be familiar with what actually happens, as opposed to what the books say happens. They are the folks "on the ground" at the actual stations, and they know what can and can't be shipped from their stations. Usually if you can build a little friendly rapport with the station agents, they will be happy to try to help you.

I would consider how your bike would be handled even if it could be handled as checked baggage. Amtrak makes it pretty clear that they are not exactly equipped to handle bags gently and that checked bags should be able to deal with the "rigors" of baggage handling. I have to admit the concept of a bike bag that can be easily rolled up and carried with you is interesting and its certainly more convenient than a bike box.

Though I have not experienced any major problems when checking duffel bags, I've seen bags literally tossed onto conveyors and baggage carts. On one occasion, I was very glad that I packed the sun screen and shampoo in plastic bags since I ended up with a bag of liquid goo. I realize this can happen when transporting bags by any mode of transit.

Please let us know what you end up doing. I'd like to use the train to access a few bike ride destinations as well.

Cheers!

Deimos

I know it wount help you on the NEC but here is a safe way to avoid a bike as checked baggage on a superliner.

I guess Amtrak passengers could only dream of this: your bike at 125mph in a german Intercity train.

Almost every time I've ridden this train from Baltimore to MetroPark or Newark, I've sat in either half or completely empty cars. I know so many people that would take Amtrak if they'd just put bike racks or have an area for bikes on board with out having to check it, and checking baggage is not even available...

Ugh... I think I'm just gonna drive. This is too much to worry about.

PLEASE put that into a letter and send it to Amtrak, requesting a response, and let us know what the response is. They already obviously know, from what is on the website, that there is a growing need and desire for more bicycle carriage capability. The more they hear it, the more likely they will be to do something about it, and you can help force that by letting them know that you needed it but that they failed to provide an easy way to do it. Tri-Rail, the commuter system that runs between Miami and West Palm Beach in Florida has been increasing it's capabilities for folks to bring their bikes with them, and making it easier to do so. Amtrak will have to do this as well, systemwide, and the more request (and complaints) they get about it, the faster it will likely happen. But they need to hear from you, a customer they failed, and lost business as a result, and it needs to be in writing, with a request for a response, so that it can't be ignored. I would also send it to one of your elected representatives, with a cover letter, and indicate in the letter to Amtrak that you are doing that, to make it that much more difficult for them to pretend they never got it.

PLEASE put that into a letter and send it to Amtrak, requesting a response, and let us know what the response is. They already obviously know, from what is on the website, that there is a growing need and desire for more bicycle carriage capability. The more they hear it, the more likely they will be to do something about it, and you can help force that by letting them know that you needed it but that they failed to provide an easy way to do it. Tri-Rail, the commuter system that runs between Miami and West Palm Beach in Florida has been increasing it's capabilities for folks to bring their bikes with them, and making it easier to do so. Amtrak will have to do this as well, systemwide, and the more request (and complaints) they get about it, the faster it will likely happen. But they need to hear from you, a customer they failed, and lost business as a result, and it needs to be in writing, with a request for a response, so that it can't be ignored. I would also send it to one of your elected representatives, with a cover letter, and indicate in the letter to Amtrak that you are doing that, to make it that much more difficult for them to pretend they never got it.
I seconded that. Majority of commuter trains are equipped with bike racks. Other option is to mail your bike via UPS or Fedex if that'll help.

Almost every time I've ridden this train from Baltimore to MetroPark or Newark, I've sat in either half or completely empty cars. I know so many people that would take Amtrak if they'd just put bike racks or have an area for bikes on board with out having to check it, and checking baggage is not even available...
Ugh... I think I'm just gonna drive. This is too much to worry about.

I completely agree with you! on a related note, I think Boston is evaluating how to handle bikes on commuter trains. I saw a picture showing bike racks that were installed along one side of the passenger car. I don't remember where I saw the picture.

I'll second that recommendation as well! Perhaps a few of us should send in letters.

I would bet that you would have no problems at all on the amtrak acela. There is a large baggage space, not checked baggage, but for carry ons. I have seen bags way bigger than the one you described. I would bet that you would have no problems at all. Just don't make a scene or anything, just board as normal and place it in the baggage area. I knoiw that in front of the handicapped seat in first class they do stow a lot of large items. I would think it would be fine as you have it.

My wife and I recently took our bikes from Quincy, IL to Baltimore and return (Illinois Zephyr, Capitol Limited, and Regional). There is one southbound regional (the earliest) and one north bound (the latest) that have a baggage car; and this is how our bikes traveled between DC and Baltimore. We had to pick them up the next day upon arrival and drop them off the day prior to departure.

A few observations:

While we were unpacking our bikes, 4 people asked us about taking bikes on Amtrak. One of them had a bike and wanted to go to NJ. He wound up checking his bike; which means he was not able to pick it up until the next morning.

The Baltimore baggage clerk, who was very friendly and helpful, wanted to charge us $20 per bike, $15 for the box and $5 for handling; but agreed on the $15 that we paid in Chicago on the EB trip. Later, it took about 30 minutes with Amtrak customer service; but we finally found that the correct charge, which matches the website, is $10 for the box and 5 for handling.

It was 13 years ago, but I had no trouble taking a bike in a bag identical to yours in a SL sleeping car on the Capital Limited from Chicago to Connelsville, PA, which has no baggage service, for a ride on the Great Great Allegheny Passage.

California trains have bike racks and Illinois and Missouri (but not the auto state of Michigan) Midwest corridor trains carry bikes. However, they are banned from the NE corridor. Are easterners couch potatoes or what?

On the above mention recent return trip on the Capital Limited, I noticed a couple de-training from coach with a TANDEM at Cumberland, another station w/o baggage service. They apparently were newbies and didn't know any better; but the train personnel allowed them to carry it on anyway. This is a sore point because Cumberland is the western terminus of the C&O canal bike path to DC; and the eastern terminus of the Great Allegheny Passage bike path to Pittsburgh. Amtrak needs to accommodate bikes here.

The whole subject of bikes on Amtrak needs a forum of its own.

Edit -- interesting that this year-old thread is being revived.

For bikes on the NEC, I would think it's because of space limitations on the Acela and Amfleet trainsets. I guess it there was sufficient demand they would set aside some bike space. However, even in California, train operators have to balance the requests of cyclists with being able to get everyone aboard.

That said, I do love the idea of being able to take my bike throughout California without trying to fit it in my car (which it doesn't). I haven't done it yet, but I'm thinking about it when I get in better shape.

I think the topic of bikes is interesting. I believe that for most long-distance trains, passengers are required to check their bikes as baggage.

It's pretty easy for me to understand why they want to bicycles to be stowed properly. I rode light rail in Sacramento. There were bike spaces provided, but no cyclist used it. It was pretty interesting when the cars braked or went into a turn.

For Amtrak, I saw someone with a bike board Starlight at my home station (CIC). This passenger just showed up with his bag and his bike (no box or anything). The on-board staff member just opened up a compartment near the coach boarding door and placed the bike inside.

I thought it was very unusual, given what I had read online. I thought it was nice for the staff member to do this, but I wouldn't think there would be any guarantee of other staffers doing something similar.

Anyway, thanks for offering a different perspective on the train service.

What if he went Business Class? There should be more than enough room, in terms of floor space for baggage (as oppose to coach's overhead racks).

For bikes on the NEC, I would think it's because of space limitations on the Acela and Amfleet trainsets. I guess it there was sufficient demand they would set aside some bike space. However, even in California, train operators have to balance the requests of cyclists with being able to get everyone aboard.
There's a *ton* of space on Keystone cars--they're all missing an entire seat at one end. Granted, I assume that's intended for wheelchairs, but ... well, the space is always either available or filled with luggage or people sitting on the floor because their stop is coming up soon. It'd be simple to put a bike there. I'd love to be able to take my bike out to the 'burbs for a day....

Well, but there'd have to be a safe way to tie it down, of course. Amtrak would have to put some sort of bike rack there. And then maybe we'd get into some safety requirement that the bike rack not be "in the passenger compartment". On Dutch trains, the bike rack is in the vestibule. You buy a separate day-return ticket for your bicycle, which I think cost five euro.

IMHO, this bike might fit in the magazine pocket in front of you. :D

bicycle1.JPG

I did recently see a large group of people in BAL come off the train with folding bikes, which I thought was a great idea. They were definitely dressed for work, so they were commuters. Not sure if they got off of a MARC or Amtrak, but it definitely got me thinking about buying one so I can take the train to even more places!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back