Q410 Derailment disrupts service

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

battalion51

Engineer
Earlier today CSX Q410 derailed near Alaexandria, VA causing major disruptions on the southern side of Amtrak's system. P020 was annulled at Manassas, wyed, serviced to become P019. Other service has been cancelled or suspended. VRE is working a holiday schedule, and all Amtrak is cancelled south of Washington except AT. I should be hearing soon whether 98/92/90 will make it through, but only time will tell.

Actually the impact is even worse than what Battalion indicated above. VRE has basically suspended all service. They are hoping to perhaps run two trains for the evening rush, one on each line, starting south of the derailment. This however is only a hope, I've not yet heard if they actually managed to do this.

Additionally they don't expect to be able to run a normal schedule tomorrow at present. No word yet on just what will happen yet.

This derailment also forced the suspension of the DC Metro Blue for over an hour this morning.

A freight train derailed early Thursday just outside Washington, disrupting rail service for thousands of commuters and travelers along Amtrak's eastern corridor. About 13 cars on a CSX freight train from Richmond to Philadelphia came off the tracks just before 6 a.m. in Alexandria, about 10 miles south of Washington. CSX officials said the derailed cars blocked three tracks.
The full story from WTOP News Radio. The story also includes some pictures of the derailment.

Additional information on what VRE hopes to do and the impact on today's service, can be found here.

Here is Amtrak's service advisory concerning today's derailment and the ramifications of it on Service between NY and Florida.

One word come to mind, ouch. Word is that 92-17 was turned at Richmond to become 97-18, 90-17 to 89-19. 98-18 was held at Richmond until the track was reinstalled, 92 should have no conflicts.

Here's the 6:00 PM EST update from Slamtrak.

12/18/03 6:00 p.m. EST
Due to the derailment of a CSX freight train in Alexandria, VA, most Amtrak

service south of Washington, D.C. was suspended Thursday, December 18.  

On Friday, December 19:

The Silver Star (trains 91 and 92), Silver Meteor (trains 97

and 98), Palmetto (trains 89 and 90) and the Carolinian (trains 79 and 80)

will operate as scheduled, but are expected to experience delays.

Auto Train service between Lorton, VA and Sanford, FL will operate

as scheduled.

All Regional service between Newport News, Richmond and Washington

will be suspended.  All southbound Regional trains will terminate in

Washington.

The New York-Atlanta-New Orleans Crescent (trains 19 and 20) will

originate and terminate in Manassas, VA.  Passengers will be provided bus

transportation between Washington and Manassas.

The southbound Cardinal (train 51) passengers will be

provided bus transportation from Washington, D.C. to Charlottesville, VA,

where they will board a train for the balance of the trip to Chicago.

Passengers on the eastbound Cardinal (train 50) will be provided bus

transportation from Charlottesville to Washington, D.C., where they will

board a train to points north.

Amtrak strongly advises passengers with plans to travel between Washington

D.C. and Miami in the states of Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina,

Georgia, and Florida to call 1-800-USA-RAIL for further information.

battalion51 said:
Oh snap, I didn't realize that was from yesterday. :huh: Oops. :lol:
Not only was that from yesterday it is exactly what I linked to above last night B)

Sorry bout that tp49. I didn't read that article, and I'm sleep deprived, so sorry. :lol: :D :ph34r:

No problem, sleep seprivation and I are old friends so I understand. Now go get some sleep B)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back