quaility of service on the silver service

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

amtrakmichigan

Lead Service Attendant
I have gotten the impression somewhere, maybe it's something I read at one time, that the onboard service crew on the Silver Service is "better" then most other trains. Would any of you agree or disagree with this statement? I am traveling to Florida next month and will be riding the Meteor south out of WAS.

I am wondering, just maybe, you might be thinking that the term "silver service" refers to a certain category or class of service. Such designations are not uncommon in the travel industry. I believe the VIA(Canadian Rail) uses some such terminology these days, maybe "silver and blue service".

Actually, the term came from such trains being built of unpainted stainless steel back in a day when that was a genuine novelty. The Silver Meteor began operation in 1939 and the Silver Star(and a now-defunct Silver Comet, pre-amtrak) in 1947. Stainless steel or other light weight construction was a prized advancement then,not the norm it is today.

I have learned from Alan, a moderator on this forum, that some even think silver service refers to the silver-haired elderly folk frequenting such trains, including the Auto-Train, for the winter in Florida.

Now, if your question had nothing to do with any the above, then I would defer to those on this forum who have much more experience with them than have I.

I recieved unsatisfactory service on the Silver Meteor back in April 2002. Our Sleeping Car attendant was down right rude and one would feel uncomfortable approaching him to ask a question or recieve service. The Dining Car crew was okay, but the service attedants did not crack a smile the whole trip. The Lounge attendant seemed a bit more relaxed and nicer than the rest of the crew, but I never utalized that car. Now if you want to talk Silver Service I will hand the microphone over the Battalion-51 and Viewliner who ride the trains more often than I do.

I would say that the crews aren't so bad at least on the Meteor, I usually get a good sleeper attendant (I think my favorite has either retired or is about to retire), the dining car crews vary, but are also generally good (although my opinion of one dining car crew changed for the better once I got to know them) as do the Lounge crews. But generally they're pretty good. I honestly can't compare it to other routes, as I've yet to take any other Long Distance routes. This has given me an Idea for a new topic. :rolleyes:

Silver Service crews in my opinion are the best in the country. Most of these guys love coming to work every week, although some can get stressed by the end of the trip. All in all theseguys will give you a good trip, with very few not enjoying their job. Jamie, if you send me a private message with your departure dates, I can probably tell you more about the specifics of your crews.

On my recent trip on the #97 I found our cabin attendent to be the best one we have ever had - she was exceptional. I found the dining car crew to be some of the worst I have ever had - they were terrible!!!!

battalion51 said:
Jamie, if you send me a private message with your departure dates, I can probably tell you more about the specifics of your crews.
Check your e-mail, I wrote you my trip details. THANKS !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back