Question about AGR Ruling

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frugalist

Lead Service Attendant
My wife and I currently have a 3-zone bedroom AGR rewards trip booked from PDX-CHI, then CHI-WAS, then WAS-SBG. I've been waiting for a resolution to the Canadian border crossing dispute before adding the VAC-PDX portion of our trip to our reservation (same-day 2-hour connection in PDX). Now that Amtrak Cascades #513 has been extended for another year, I called AGR this morning to book that train. I was hoping we could simply add that train onto our existing reservation. Since the existing reservation is a 3-zone award (PDX-SBG), and the new reservation would also be a 3-zone award (VAC-SBG), there should be no addition points charged.

That's not what the agent claims. She claims that since the Amtrak Cascades is a Special Route, it cannot be booked as a through trip with another long-distance train on the same award. It must be booked separately, which would cost 1000 points per person (1500 in business).

I think this is absolutely wrong. She said she spoke to someone else, who agreed with her. Who's right here? If I'm right, what can I say to the agent when I call back? I did not change my reservation this morning, nor did I book #513 separately. I'll wait for word from our learned forum members before continuing.

Thanks.

That sounds like it's connected to the situation down in California where you can be double charged if your itinerary forces you to transfer between two different trains.

If this is going to be the policy everywhere, that really sucks. I'd hit up FlyerTalk and see what "AGR Insider" has to say about the issue.

I agree with Ryan, it sounds like the agent is confusing the directive that requires them to charge 2,000 points when you change trains on special routes with the idea that a 3 zone award allows one to go from coast to coast without regard to how many trains you use. What she's suggesting would see someone needing to spend 51,000 points for a Bedroom or 36,000 points for a roomette that connects to San Diego. That is wrong!

I'd try a couple of different phone calls to agents to see if you can't get a different answer. If not, then you may have no choice but to appeal to AGR Insider. But they're swamped right now, so I'd first try at least a second phone call if not even a third, before going that route.

Depending on how soon you're going and how full the trains are, it may even be best to scrap your existing reservation and start fresh. Maybe try calling and posing the question as a new reservation wouldn't be as confusing.

Taking Ryan's idea - talk to the agent as if you want a new reservation, then ask to have your current reservation changed to the details of the "new" reservation.

Just got home. Thanks for the advice. I'll call AGR again tomorrow morning and see if I get the right answer. The trip is in July. I'll report back after my call tomorrow.

Just got off the phone with a very friendly and helpful AGR rep. When I told her I would like to change our existing reservation by adding train #513 from VAC to PDX, she said that train has already been added to our reservation! OK, that's weird. Good, but weird. ;) I asked if we were booked in business. She said no, we were in coach. But it took her less than a minute to get us into business. Finally I asked her to confirm the number of AGR points in my account and she confirmed I had exactly the number of points I expected. No points were deducted for our trip on #513.

Very strange. Happy outcome. Just strange how it happened. Maybe someone in AGR is lurking! ;) If so, thank you for your silent intervention.

If I'm getting this straight, STL to MKE; i.e.Lincoln service transferring to a Hiawatha, both special routes, would be 1000 points.

Nope, as established by those trying to book in California, that would require 2,000 points. Now if you rode the Eagle, which would require 5,500 points, then you could get the Hiawatha on the same award.

Back