Question about coach seats and lounge....

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Breeze

Train Attendant
Hey all..ok since I'm riding in coach, is it roomy and how many people would I be sitting with? Is there an area on the train to put your bags or do you just keep them under your seat when sitting in coach?

Also, ok the lounge area.. how long are you able to sit there..like is there a certain time your allowed in the lounge? And can you see as much scenery as you can when your just in your own seat, if your in coach?

So many questions, let's start at the top. The coaches are VERY roomy, with leg room comperable to first class on a plane. While travelling on the Southwest Chief there is a baggage rack downstairs near the enterance, but this is generally reserved for larger luggage. If you're talking about a small suitcase or duffle it will easily fit in the overhead storage rack or about your feet. As for the LSL there is limited room in the rear of the coach for big items, but again same story with the luggage rack overhead. As far as the number of people you are sitting with, you have one person next to you, that's it. Each coach holds 75-83 people on the Chief, and 59 on the LSL. As for the lounge area, there is no limit to how long you sit in there, it's common area. On the Chief it is a true lounge with couches, captains chairs, etc. The view is outstanding with large wraparound windows, it also gives you a much wider angle on the scenery vs. your coach seat. As for the lounge on the LSL it is a little closer to a diner setting, with tables as the main feature. Tables are generally reserved for those eating from the lounge because of the limited number of tables. You are certainly welcome to stay, but common courtesty is a wise thing. There are times I've seen not a soul besides myself, the Conductor, and the LSA in the lounge. Then there are times when people are asked to leave because there are people with food who'd like to eat at a table. You need to be willing to share a table with someone if they ask. The view in an east coast lounge however isn't much better than that off your coach seat, the environment is just a little more social. I'd advise you to check out my Amtrak car page, which has interior shots for both the east coast and Superliner consists that you will see. You can find it here.

Yes the coach seats are very roomy. Im a big guy (6'2 220) and i have never been uncomfortable on Amtrak. The seats are just as big and comfortable as a first class seat on any major airline. As far as seatmates go you will only have one as there are only two seats on either side of the ailse. Whether you keep your bags with you or store them depends on the size of the bag. On amfleet equipment there are overhead luggage racks and i think there is luggage storage at one end of the car. As for the superliners they also have overhead luggage racks and i think luggage storage on the lower level but im not sure because i havent been on a superliner in 5 years.

As far as the lounge you can sit there as long as you want when it is open. The lounge usually opens an hour after the train originates and closes and hour before the train terminates. In addition the lounge will close at certain stops enroute to restock. Besides these times you can sit in the lounge whenever you want even at 2 in the morning. As far as scenery if you are travelling on a train equipped with superliners then the lounge is definetly the place to view scenery. It has big wraparound windows and chairs that turn in every direction. On single level trains the lounge isnt anything special as far as sightseeing. The windows are the same size as the coaches and there are no swivling chairs only stationary booths. I hope this answers all your questions.

Thank you Battalion and Blueman.. yes you both answered my questions, but I have another...Ok when picking coach which is better lower level reserved seats or reserved coach seats? :)

Personally, I'd opt for a reserved seat. They are on the upper level of the car, while the others are obviously on the lower level. While 3 of the 4 bathrooms in the car are on the lower level, there tends to be more noise from the tracks on the lower level.

The upper level offers better views, plus the connections to the rest of the train are on the upper level. The upper level however also tends to sway a bit more than the lower level.

The seats themselves are the same on either level.

Oh no so that's not good then if it is swaying! Oh my gosh Alan I looked at Battalion's pictures and I saw a picture of a part of a train that had derailed and it was titled a little, like the left side went off the track a little and that scared the crap out of me :unsure:

But maybe lower level would be best because it doesn't have swaying and easier to the exits?

Well I need to decide tonight if I'm taking the train because I'm getting the tixs tomorrow.

Believe me you DO NOT want the lower level if you are physically able to walk up and down the stairs. The swaying is nothing on the upper level; on the lower level it is a dark little cave with a bunch of unhappy people snarling on each side of you because of the enclosed pit they're sitting in. (At least this is the attitude I observe every time I walk by the lower level door as I make my way to the restroom or to the vestibule for disembarking)

The upper level is nice and roomy and you don't have to trek the staircase every time you want to go to the lounge or the diner. :)

also try to avoid the ends of the car, as the noise during the night between the cars can be kinda loud as people open the doors to pass through. sometimes the conductor will set the door to be always open, or the door will simply be inoperative and perform as such.

gswager said:
The least amount of swaying on upper level is center of car. However, try to avoid from the staircase area which it is located in center of car due to people stomping on stairs in and out.
Anthony:

also try to avoid the ends of the car, as the noise during the night between the cars can be kinda loud as people open the doors to pass through. sometimes the conductor will set the door to be always open, or the door will simply be inoperative and perform as such.
You guys are making these Superliners sound really bad! I have sat both right by the stairs and right by the end of coaches and was not really bothered by the "stomping" on the stairs or "loud opening and closing of the doors". People are generally very considerate and the train aisle isn't usually packed with passenger traffic. I have rode on many trains where really the only people passing between cars were the train crew and maybe five or six people an hour. It's not that bad.

AlanB said:
While 3 of the 4 bathrooms in the car are on the lower level, there tends to be more noise from the tracks on the lower level.
Actually, Alan, in the Superliner coaches, all of the bathrooms are on the lower level. It's only the sleepers that have the upper level bathroom.

EmpireBuilderFan said:
AlanB said:
While 3 of the 4 bathrooms in the car are on the lower level, there tends to be more noise from the tracks on the lower level.
Actually, Alan, in the Superliner coaches, all of the bathrooms are on the lower level. It's only the sleepers that have the upper level bathroom.
Well that just shows you how many times I've ridden in a Superliner coach. :lol: :D

Other than a quick walk though just to see what they look like, I've never sat in a Superliner Coach. All my trips were in sleepers.

AlanB said:
EmpireBuilderFan said:
AlanB said:
Well that just shows you how many times I've ridden in a Superliner coach. :lol: :D

Other than a quick walk though just to see what they look like, I've never sat in a Superliner Coach. All my trips were in sleepers.
Maybe you should try coach on your next trip. While the "cattle cars" aren't as nice as a Sleeper, you're garanteed an interesting trip. :lol: :)

Interesting is an understatement. :lol: While I "technically" am in Coach on most of my trips I'm really not, due to the lounge factor. But really the sway isn't all that noticable after you've been on board for about half an hour or so. I mean when I'm in the cab car of the Tri-Rail bi-levels and we're in push mode, the sway is barely there, and but more pronounced than a Superliner, but people hardly notice it.

Oh no so that's not good then if it is swaying! Oh my gosh Alan I looked at Battalion's pictures and I saw a picture of a part of a train that had derailed and it was titled a little, like the left side went off the track a little and that scared the crap out of me.
Umm Breeze, that derailed Amfleet lounge you saw on my site, that had a very good cause for being derailed. This is what happened to cause that:

Amtrak%20P-40%20Locomotive%20806-Derailed.jpg

Now obviously when you whack something like that on the New England Central's old jointed rail (which is very out of date, all the railroads you'll travel over have welded rail) you're bound to derail. It's very unusual for there to be derailments, I think last fiscal year Amtrak only had one, that being the Silver Star derailment in Georgia. They don't happen that often. :lol:

Oh my gosh!!!! What happened to that truck! what! Ok I think I'm going to cry :(

I showed my mom and she is just like.... "what the h*ll happened to that train?" And she's like, "are you sure you want to take the train..I'm not too sure about this?"

That's still pretty bad in that picture.. poor person in the truck and poor people in that particular car of the train! :(

Yeah it doesn't happen often, but I don't want to be in the next one whenever it happens again!!!!! :unsure:

Well let's see what happened to the truck. Well he decided it'd be fun to block a road crossing when there was a train coming, just so he wouldn't have to wait the 30 seconds between the time the gates go down and they go back up. Trains hitting trucks is a rare thing, it only happens a couple of times a year, and there are rarely any on board deaths resulting from them. Like I said before, you are more likely to be killed by being hit by a train, than you are being killed while on the train. You're more likely to be killed in a car accident than you are on a train. It is THE safest way to travel. Only one person died on an Amtrak train last year, and that was (God help him) Engineer Wayne Edenfield, who was killed when his train hit a tractor trailer in Georgia. THAT'S IT! No one on the rear was killed on ANY Amtrak train last fiscal year, and so far this year. The odds are very low Breeze, you are safer on a train than you are on Greyhound, on a plane, or in a car. We are where people come when they are to freaked out to get on a plane. And that's saying something. :lol:

What was he thinking of when he decided to do that! What is wrong with people trying to beat a train.

Awwe he was killed..did it hit him directly on, like head on and that's why he died? :(

Yes Anthony I see that, unfortunately my mom just saw rubble and was shocked!

Also since not only am I afraid of planes..I'm afraid of heights and but of course I decide to go on the Amtrak site to see what trains I would need exactly and look at my map to see the route I would be taking and of course they would have to say on the site, 'you will be going over the longest double decked swing span bridge over the Mighty Mississippi River' and I'm thinking Lord help me.

Oh my gosh, I know I'm going to cry...I'm going to pray that I make it to Boston safely, just to write you guys about my experience.. I'm sure I'll have alot to tell you guys and of course that I make it home safely, to tell you about that part of the trip as well!

Well Wayne's death wasn't pretty to say the least. Wayne was on the Fireman's side at the time of the accident (he wasn't running). When they knew they were going to hit the truck both he and the Assistant Engineer hit the deck. Well the trailer they hit had a forklift on the rear. When they hit the truck the trailer bent like a piece of metal, the forklift hit the side of the engine, right at the cab door. The forklift came crashing through the door, and well, landed on top of Wayne. He survived the impact, but died the next day at the hospital in Savannah. There's a picture on my site here if you wish to see it. If you were upset by that derailed car, you may not want to look at the engine, but it's there if you want to see it.

That was pretty bad, but the truck got way more damage than the train.

Now the door of the train didn't look as bad as I thought it was going too, like it was pushed in though. :(

ok question..I know you guys said that derailments don't happen often, but what about bridges and when the train is close to edges of water, because I know you go over a bridge over the Mighty Mississippi on the Southwest Chief and then your like close to an egde, like right by water on the Lake Shore Limited, so have there been any problems or cases with trains going over bridges or in water?

Breeze, think about it this way:

Why would the train be any more likely to go into the water than a car or bus? You have mentione that rodecross country with your grandfather when you were 8 or 9 and enjoyed it. He had to face the same geography that the train faced. (including the Mississippi River).

If anything,a train would go into the water LESS OFTEN than a car or bus since a train does not "swerve" in the way that a car or bus could be prone to do ---it operates on a fixed track, so the "falling off" thing is too microscopic to worry about.

Look forward to your trip. It can be a really exciting adventure for you.

Breeze said:
ok question..I know you guys said that derailments don't happen often, but what about bridges and when the train is close to edges of water, because I know you go over a bridge over the Mighty Mississippi on the Southwest Chief and then your like close to an egde, like right by water on the Lake Shore Limited, so have there been any problems or cases with trains going over bridges or in water?
With all due respect, are you really just looking for an excuse not to ride?

Everything everyone does do has associated risks. Every transportation mode has an accident rate. The question should not be whether a terrible thing might happen, or could happen, or has ever happened in recorded history. The question should be whether it will happen and happen to you. The fact is the accident rates for both rail and air travel are extraordinarily low, and have never been lower in history. Every 15 days, 1 million people ride an Amtrak train. Every single day 1.5 million people board a commercial airline flight. Guess what: the odds that any one of them will not survive the experience are about two in one hundred million. But, if you want to avoid all risks of traveling, then the only option is to just stay home.

So, to directly answer your question: Yes, despite all the in-depth safety measures, sometimes trains do derail on bridges, and yes sometimes those trains end up in the water. And sometimes meteors come in from space and hit homes. And sometimes trucks run off roads and kill people sitting in their living rooms watching TV. The simple fact that such a thing happened sometime in the past does not mean it is about to happen to you.

So, here’s my advice to you. Buy you’re ticket, get on your train, look at the scenery, have a bite to eat, and enjoy yourself.

No PRR, I'm looking for the one reason it's best, over planes, to ride the train!

I just worry alot, so it doesn't matter what I do, I'm just one of those people that need great detail. Certain things scare me, so I'm trying to figure out if it's something I can handle or not...that's all. ;)

Yeah Bill but it's like a 5 lane highway on each side, so if my grandpi didn't want to, he could stay in the middle and not the edge. A train is really close to the edge, from what I have seen in the pictures, so I'm just worried if a part goes off the track, it could end up in a river or something..that worries me!

The odds of a train going off a bridge are so miniscule they are not really even worth discussing. The last time that happened was in the early 1990's in Alabama when a barge hit a drawbridge threw it out of alignment and the train derailed then. For that to happen something incredibly catastrophic has to happen so catastrophic in fact that you have better chance of all of the following events happening: getting struck by lightning, winning the lottery, hitting a slot machine jackpot in Las Vegas, and being on a plane that either has a serious incident or outright crashes.

As for airplanes I can give you many reasons not to fly if you have the time at your disposal: being crammed into coach seats with so little pitch that you feel trapped if the person in front of you even thinks about reclining, lack of food on planes, incredibly cranky passengers, dealing with the morass that is airport security and the potential degredation that comes with it), crews who make some of Amtrak's worst look damn good, weather related delays (especially flying to the east coast from the west), crappy inflight entertainment and no place to plug in my laptop in coach, and the turbulence (and yes I've been on planes that have had violent turbulence usually flying over the Rockies of High Sierra).

If I had a choice of a cross-country train trip or a 6 hour flight of doom, I'd pick the train even if I had to ride in the baggage car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back