Question about garbage in sleeper car?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CaliforniaMom

Service Attendant
This is probably a really dumb question, but is there a garbage can in the bedrooms? Does the SCA empty it out daily, or do I ask for that?

This is probably a really dumb question, but is there a garbage can in the bedrooms? Does the SCA empty it out daily, or do I ask for that?
There is a small garbage can in each room. It's emptied when they clean your room before you detrain, but I'm sure you could ask to have it emptied before then.

We put small stuff (tissues, wrappers) in that garbage can and use the one by the coffee station if we have larger items that can't be recycled.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a small trash receptacle below the sink in Superliner bedrooms. The space for it is a bit crowded because the water pipes and drain pipe are also in that space. Capacity isn't too great. If it gets too full, call your attendant and your problem should be solved.

Tom

There is a garbage can in each sleeper. If it gets full there is a bigger can in the center of each car that you can empty yours into if the SCA is busy or unavailable. It has been my experience that they will empty them daily but as always YMMV.

There is a garbage can in each sleeper. If it gets full there is a bigger can in the center of each car that you can empty yours into if the SCA is busy or unavailable. It has been my experience that they will empty them daily but as always YMMV.
In my experience the SCA's do not empty the trash from within the sleeper compartment until near the end of the line. Unless you ask them to. Been that way for as long as I can remember.

In my experience the SCA's do not empty the trash from within the sleeper compartment until near the end of the line. Unless you ask them to. Been that way for as long as I can remember.
I must be trashier than most folks then :lol:

I agree that the trash receptacles in all the sleepers are very small and ours were not emptied during our trip. They are handy for very small items.

As for the larger can by the coffee station:

Our recent four-train trip went just about perfectly, but we did experience a minor trash dragonette on the last leg of our trip. My friend had a regular sized take-out container with half a sandwich and some chips in it from our last layover, and of course it would not fit into our little trash can. She took it to the larger one by the coffee station, but the SCA saw her and told her she couldn't put it in that can, but to take it back and put it in the one in our compartment. Strange, because it obviously wouldn't fit in ours, even if crunched up. I think she finally disposed of it in a larger can either in the vestibule or maybe in the dining car. The SCA was firm but not unpleasant. We never could figure out how he thought it would fit in ours, or why it couldn't go in the can by the coffee station, which had plenty of room.

Our four SCA's were all very different personalities, with two being very thorough and helpful in every way, and two being satisfactory. No complaints; a wonderful trip!

Last edited by a moderator:
Good idea especially if you bring food aboard. Actually, we had very, very little trash (wrapper from the soap, etc.), so the little trash container was adequate except for Amanda's sandwich container.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back