Question about GPS's

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

radsmom

Train Attendant
Hey - my husband wanted me to ask you guys if you ever traveled with a GPS on the train? He has been wanting one for a while and now they are getting to be pretty cheap. Anyway he was thinking of getting one and taking it with us on our upcoming big trip.

Any thoughts?

I personally have never taken one with me onboard but I have heard good things from people who have. It can be very cool to watch on the GPS exactly where the train is. It can also serve as a good marker for when spectacular scenery or nautural landmarks might be coming up. :)

radsmom said:
Hey - my husband wanted me to ask you guys if you ever traveled with a GPS on the train? He has been wanting one for a while and now they are getting to be pretty cheap. Anyway he was thinking of getting one and taking it with us on our upcoming big trip. Any thoughts?
Hey there, we had one on board back in 1999 on the Coast Starlight - the kind you plug into a laptop and use with a mapping program. It worked very well, but often we would have to put the receiving unit somewhere near a window... say, prop it up on the sill so that it could get better reception. BUT - when it was working, it was really cool to be able to see the little arrow hugging the railroad tracks, showing us where we were. :) Needless to say, it was quite the attraction in the Pacific Parlour Car :lol:

The GPS idea is one that is very popular amongst both hardcore railfans and leisure travelers alike. It's really interesting to see your actual speed, altitude, and where the heck you are. I'd try to make sure the thing comes with an AC adaptor so you can plug it into your electrical outlet and not drain batteries.

Based on my experience, operation of a typical inexpensive GPS on the train is a solid "maybe"! The main problem you face is that GPS's rely on being able to have an unobstructed view (in the radio frequency sense) of a significant portion of the sky. The metal construction of rail cars tends to severely limit the ability of the GPS to receive the necessary satellite signals required for it to determine your position. However, depending on the specific orientation of your car at any given time, and the specific position of the GPS satellites at the same time, there will be times when you can get sufficient signal by holding the GPS near the window. Now to avoid being "glued" to the window, it works out best if you have a GPS that has a removable antenna that you can stick to the window itself, letting you comfortably hold the GPS readout in your lap. This sort of rules out the lowest priced units. I have traveled with a Garmin GPS III that has a relatively high performance 12 channel reciever, and found that on average I can get and maintain signal lock about 50% of the time. Again, it depends on several factors, and "your milage may vary" as they say. I would advise that if at all possible you avoid the least expensive models, and get one with both an external antenna and a built-in map database, so you can actually track your progress against known landmarks, etc. By all means take it along - it doesn't cost any extra to give it a try!

Sorry to get so wordy here - didn't mean to write a book!

This topic has actually raised my interest in GPS for travel. I'm kind of looking for something that can be compatible with a notebook computer and a map program that can tell my speed, location, and direction of travel. Am I better off looking at hand-held devices? Ay info would be great. Thanks. :)

The GPS for the computer is great in my opinion. There is a lot that you can do with it, from topographical info, to standard maps etc. A friend of mine at DOT has one for his laptop and he always sets it up when he rides so people can see where we are, similar to what the refurbed lunges were supposed to do (the only lounge where the GPS works is in 28009).

battalion51 said:
The GPS for the computer is great in my opinion. There is a lot that you can do with it, from topographical info, to standard maps etc. A friend of mine at DOT has one for his laptop and he always sets it up when he rides so people can see where we are, similar to what the refurbed lunges were supposed to do (the only lounge where the GPS works is in 28009).
Well I've been looking at the ones online for PCs and they only have a place point on the map. I would also want to know speed, direction, etc.

The DeLorme Street Atlas USA has a companion GPS you can buy... I think it's called Earthmate. We have the predecessor to that called Tripmate, and it showed speed, etc. in a little dialog box. You might want to look into that software...not sure how the newer versions compare.

Anthony said:
The DeLorme Street Atlas USA has a companion GPS you can buy... I think it's called Earthmate. We have the predecessor to that called Tripmate, and it showed speed, etc. in a little dialog box. You might want to look into that software...not sure how the newer versions compare.
Wow, thanks. Though it does not have speed, or I can't find it yet, it does have location and direction of travel.

For PC-based GPS map software, another one to check out is Fugawi 3 (www.fugawi.com). It is more of an aviation product, but it works well and supports multiple map types (street, aeronautical, topo, etc.) and will give you speed, heading, altitude, and lots of other things too. Yes, it's $100, but based on my experience (never on a train, though!) it's well worth it.

Since I've had to design some GPS receivers for a living in recent years, I have some observations. Many commercial GPS receivers, which work well in Superliner equipment (and others) don't operate well in Viewliner sleeper rooms. This seems to be the fault, as best I can determine, of some kind of sun-shielding (or something similar) on the glass of Viewliner cars, which acts as a shield to the signals the GPS receiver is trying to recover. A carry a GPS receiver with me just about everywhere (I become lost very easily), and have only discovered the Viewliner issue relative to GPS. The work-around is to compare the number of "correlators" in the receivers, which you can discover in the “detailed specifications” (the nerd sheet). The more correlators the better. The extra money spent on correlators will not offer useful benefits in most circumstances.

Since I don't have a laptop, what are some good handheld GPS systems? I'm looking for something with speed, mapping, and possibly some of those other things you guys have mentione.

Viewliner said:
Since I don't have a laptop, what are some good handheld GPS systems? I'm looking for something with speed, mapping, and possibly some of those other things you guys have mentione.
I just did a google search and came up with a bunch of stuff (reviews, etc.). Hand-held devices ranged from $250-1000.

When shopping for handheld GPS terminals, you need to look for the high resolution maps. Some units (the expensive ones) have the maps built-in. Others (the cheaper ones) require you load maps from a PC. Almost all units have low resolution maps of North America built-in. Also, not all maps include railroad lines. The ones that do sometimes show the railroads only with certain resolution settings.

At the risk of sounding like an ad - LOL - take a look at Garmin's GPS III Plus model - good receiver performance, external antenna, and decent built-in maps that include RR's in a nice small size. Should be able to find one for under $300. I have the earlier model and have carried it with me many places and always with good results.

Thanks for the advice, Randy Can you provide me a link to a site for the product?
www.garmin.com for info on the III Plus model. Don't be swayed by their latest and greatest models though - "door to door voice prompted routing", etc. isn't much use on the train! Check eBay for price trends - these are very reliable and I wouldn't hesitate to buy a used one .

I have a Garmin Etrex Legend, a handheld GPS, that I purchased at Amazon.com for $199 with a $50 rebate; it includes a cable to connect it to my laptop. It's a nifty little device used independently--even includes a calculator. I've connected it to the laptop and used it with Microsoft Streets and Trips and it works great. I haven't tried it on a train, but hope to do so on a planned trip from Charlottesville to Chicago to New Oleans and back to Charlottesville in July/August. I'll let you know how it works on the train.

My Garmin Etrex Legend performed very well, both in Viewliner and Superlinler equipment. It does need to be right next to the window to pick up the satellite signals, and of course does not work in tunnels or when there are trees or embankments close by.

I used it connected to my laptop with the Microsoft Streets and Trips program, and the level of detail is super. But the built-in map is more than adequate for getting a general idea of where you are when you wake up in the middle of the night. It's also fun to know how fast you're going and how far you've traveled.

These guys:

http://gpsinformation.net/

review almost everything available and are an excellent source of information on GPS for beginners. Anyone thinking about investing in a GPS unit should check out their site before purchasing.

We use a Magellan Map330 and are very happy with it! :D

We have used it in the car for basic navigation. It also interfaces with Delorme's mapping software (which has voice prompts!) Microsoft's Streets and Trips and Mapinfo, providing real-time position updates, direction speed and heading, etc.

We primarily use the GPS for a sport called Geocaching. There's a link to the web page in the gpsinformation.net page. I've found the Magellan GPS units to be more accurate than some of the other hand held units available, but that is just my opinion.

The newer Magellan Meridians are very capable, as mapping GPS units.

Diane

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back