question about pacific parlour car

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sutton8596

Service Attendant
Hi guys,

I was reading on the trainweb site a couple complaints from riders who say the PPC wasn't running on the days they were traveling. I had the same bad luck last summer. Just out of curiosity, how often is the PPC left off the consist? Does Amtrak only own two or three? Are they considering building more? I think that some kind of lounge car, not necessarily luxurious, but in addition to the dome lounge, would be a draw for future passengers. For all LDT's.

see ya all,

Scott

I believe there are 4 PPC's which are ex ATSF Hi level cars. I have seen times where due to one or more of the PPC's being out for maintenance a Sightseer or some other type of lounge is substituted, so it is left out either when there is maintenance or should it be bad ordered.

At last count there were 5 PPC's still in service. This in theory allows for one car to be bad ordered and/or out of service for repairs at any time without shorting a consist a PPC.

Of course as TP mentioned these are ex ATSF cars and are therefore showing their years. So especially at this time of the year Amtrak tends to pull the cars out for extra service, in an effort to keep them all in service during the peak summer months. This sometimes means that one is out for heavy maintenance and then another gets bad ordered, forcing a Coast Starlight to run without a PPC. :(

I'm on the coast starlight the next two weekends - if the PPC is not on, do they add an extra sightseer ????

Thanks

John

maltbird said:
I'm on the coast starlight the next two weekends - if the PPC is not on, do they add an extra sightseer ????
Thanks

John
As far as I know, if one is available then yes they will subsitute a Sightseer Lounge. However from what I've heard, it's not nearly as nice. :(

The Pacific Parlor Car is quite a bit nicer than the sightseer lounge. I have only ridden it one time but I made a big mistake---I ate breakfast before boarding.If only I had known....there were plenty of goodies, fruit and danish,coffee, etc. that I should have saved my breakfast for that.

And there are no "serving hours": it was sitting there waiting for us as soon as we boarded the train. I was so mad at myself for having already eaten. This was n.b. out of LA., two years ago..

However, I think it may not be as nicely furnished with snacks as it used to, from what I have read. Alan, I think it would remind you somewhat of the Observation Lounge from the 20th Century Limited you saw not too long ago in Hoboken.

Barring a last minute or enroute bad order, there is always either a parlor or an extra sightseer substitute on the Starlights.

Guest said:
However, I think it may not be as nicely furnished with snacks as it used to, from what I have read. Alan, I think it would remind you somewhat of the Observation Lounge from the 20th Century Limited you saw not too long ago in Hoboken.
For those unfamiliar to the car Bill, or are interested in seeing pictures of it, Click Here for that page of My Webpage.

The car is "Hickory Creek" one of two build for the NYC's 20th Century Limited (the other being "Sandy Creek"). It was on display at New Jersey Transit's Try Transit Festival on September 29, 2002.

There are actually 5 cars. Four have been refurbished into what the Standard Parlour car is like. The fifth car is unrefurbished in its original ATSF decor.

I had to smile at the guest's posting. I, too, last summer had the unfortunate circumstance that the PPC had been removed from the consist. They did replace it with an observation car, but had all the breakfast goodies out for an hour or more. I'd already eaten, but ate some more :)

battalion51 said:
There are actually 5 cars. Four have been refurbished into what the Standard Parlour car is like. The fifth car is unrefurbished in its original ATSF decor.
Actually, there are four Pacific Parlour Cars in Coast Starlight service,

and an additional one is available as a back-up,

for a total of five -- Nos. 39970-72-73-74-75.

No. 39971 is the sixth Hi-Level Lounge, but it is not in PPC livery, just Amtrak Phase whatever.

Hope this helps.

14(15) had 39970, and 11(14) heading back into LA had 39974 thru San Luis Obispo Sat 3/15.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back