question about power in the superliner

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I am from Holland and in May and June I will be travelling through your great country by Amtrak. I will take the Coast Starlight from LA to San Fransisco, then the Zephyr to Salt Lake City and Chicago and the Lake shore ltd to Boston. Does anyone of you have an idea if I can charge a laptop on the route? Otherwise I have to take some extra batteries.

There are electrical outlets on board, they're scattered in coach, but in all sleeper rooms. Make sure you bring a Surge Protector.

Enjoy your trip.

I forgot to mention that I will travel by coach, my ten week travel through the US is alrady expencieve enough as it is! :p

Yes, 110 VAC power is available in many places all over the train. It comes out of a normal U.S.-style 3-hole outlet (two slots and one round). If you are in a sleeper, you may need a short (only 6 inches) 3-wire U.S.-style extension cable if you want to plug in a surge protector or something with a "battery eliminator" box, as some Superliner sleepers have these power outlets recessed into the fixtures. You can get the short extension cable and a surge protector (about $8 for a little one as big as a fist) at any Radio Shack store when you arrive in the U.S. These stores are just about everywhere and very easy to find.

I should mention that only refurbished/rebuilt coaches are equiped with electrical outlets. Unreferbished coaches have electrical outlets usually in hidden places and are mainly used by cleaning crews, but you can use them. Enjoy your trip! Should be a great experience! :)

You will not need the extension cable if you are in coach, but you will need a small surge protector, as the power is not "clean" all the time and could damage a computer.

If you have a multi-band GSM cellular phone (1900 MHz for the U.S), and your European wireless subscription allows international roaming, your phone will work in the U.S., and in many places along the routes you will be traveling. The GSM phone is cheaper than many alternatives.

Also, if you have GPRS service in Europe for your laptop (e-mail and stuff) that works in the U.S. with "authorized" European sibscriptions.

These outlets are available in superliner coaches? I dont recall seing them. I think she will be riding the Coast Starlight and the Zephyr, both trains that use superliner cars.

Steve, there are a couple of outlets in the car for use for vaccum cleaners (when cleaning) and for those who require electricity for medical devices (all those these folks are more likely to be found on the lower level). It is not like a Concept 2000 Amfleet coach where an outlet is at every seat. (Just as a side note, more and more cars are being upgraded to Concept 2000 standards, which means happier passengers in Coach).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back