Question about roomettes (Feb. CONO) and points

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyJourneys

Train Attendant
I recently redeemed points for roomettes for a Feb. trip on the CONO (before I read about the menu changes... but that's a whole 'nother issue).

Under the new system, I'd use fewer points. Could I (should I?) see if they can reverse the points and re-redeem when the changes take effect in January?

Journey

I recently redeemed points for roomettes for a Feb. trip on the CONO (before I read about the menu changes... but that's a whole 'nother issue).

Under the new system, I'd use fewer points. Could I (should I?) see if they can reverse the points and re-redeem when the changes take effect in January?

Journey
Yep, aftervJan 24th, 2016 there will be a 10% Piunt Penalty for cancelling AGR Award trips ,( 20% if less than 14 days!!!)

So call in and cancel your trip, your points will be returned to your account!

Note: You will still be able to book trips until Jan 23th under the current AGR System for travel up to 11 months in advance!

However, be aware that if you call in and cancel your reservation now, there is no guarantee that a room will be available for your proposed travel day when you call back in on January 24. That is the risk that you will be taking, so I guess it depends on how many miles you will be saving if you cancel and rebook.

There is also the risk the fare and the cost of roomette might be higher in January resulting potentially in higher point requirement. Do nothing right now.

Check rates and availability on Jan 23....if things look good you can cancel sell without penalty and rebook under new program the next dat...minimal risk.

Wait, will the 10% cancellation/change penalty apply for bookings made under the current AGR? I'd assume not (is it legal for a merchant to change a refund policy retroactively on prior purchases?) - in which case the poster can wait until January 24 to rebook with no penalty under the new AGR. Of course, once that's done, the new refund policy undoubtedly applies.

But perhaps I'm wrong about the refund policy.

It doesn't apply to bookings made before Jan. 24,2016,

But any modifications or cancellations after that date will be subject to a 10% Penalty, and if less than 14 days before departure, a 20% Penalty!

Back