question about San Francisco

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jb64

OBS Chief
We have an AGR trip to San Francisco coming up in March. I booked to SFW (Fishersmans Wharf) because it appears to be 3 blocks from our hotel (Tuscan Inn). Having never been to San Francisco before, I was wondering how safe we would be walking to our hotel from the SFW bus stop at 10:30 at night? I see things at Pier 39 typically close at 10 p.m.. If not safe, will taxis be available there at that time? Would I be better off to get off the bus at the Ferry Building stop and take a taxi from there?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Last summer, I was scheduled to get off at SWF but the bus actually took each of us to our hotels. I did notice that although SWF area was well lit, there did not appear to be any taxis there but our train (and then our bus) was late. Perhaps someone else can speak to that. I was surprised that the bus was taking us to our hotels but when I mentioned it, some of the folks on the bus had experienced that before.

Last summer, I was scheduled to get off at SWF but the bus actually took each of us to our hotels. I did notice that although SWF area was well lit, there did not appear to be any taxis there but our train (and then our bus) was late. Perhaps someone else can speak to that. I was surprised that the bus was taking us to our hotels but when I mentioned it, some of the folks on the bus had experienced that before.

That would be awesome. Hope that is the case.

I've actually stayed at the property that you're staying at. Rooms are a bit small but clean, nice location and nice shopping around. When we took the train in, the bus driver only had three people on the wharf and he dropped us off across the street from our hotels.

As for crime, SF is really a pretty safe city for the most part. Basic disclaimer is to keep good track of wallets, purses, don't flash cash, and know that there is a homeless population around in places. But the city police are effective, mass transit is prompt and relatively clean, and I've never had any real issues other than occasional bursts of pan handling. Again, just maintain situational awareness and you'll be fine. There tends to be a lot of tourist traffic at night, especially on weekends.

From where you'll be, there's a major tourist attraction nearby, Pier39, with a nice assortment of stores, dining, and the like. Moving towards the golden gate bridge, there's a state maritime museum that has several really neat older ships including a Northern Pacific car ferry. In your immediate neighborhood, there's a Trader Joe's and a Safeway, a book store, and other shops. Another fun trip is to ride the ferry over to Sausilito and enjoy their waterfront. There are some really neat art shops and the like over there, plus crossing the bay can be fun.

Other outings worth pursuing would be Alcatraz (book early, that tends to sell out quick in tourist season), Angel Island (an old TB asylum / immigrant way station now turned into picnic areas and walking trails), and Golden Gate Park.

Probably gave you way more info than you asked for, but hey, it's my favorite city. Enjoy your trip and have a blast!

Mike

It sounds like that's an area of the city where you'll be fine. (I lived there for around 8 years). The Fisherman's Wharf area is a touristy area though, so keep things like wallets and bags secure. I'm not sure if there are people that prey on tourists there, but, as a local, I'd not be scared walking around there at 10:30pm.

It also sounds like the bus drivers on that route are cool and will probably drop you off at your hotel. If not, I'm pretty confident you'll make it 3 blocks to your hotel.

Have a safe trip.

We have an AGR trip to San Francisco coming up in March. I booked to SFW (Fishersmans Wharf) because it appears to be 3 blocks from our hotel (Tuscan Inn). Having never been to San Francisco before, I was wondering how safe we would be walking to our hotel from the SFW bus stop at 10:30 at night? I see things at Pier 39 typically close at 10 p.m.. If not safe, will taxis be available there at that time? Would I be better off to get off the bus at the Ferry Building stop and take a taxi from there?

You should be O K for that short walk, if you have to. We have done this walk many times, at different times of the evening and night. Some bus drivers will drop you at your hotel if its very late. However some or I should say at least one wont. A real by the book guy. The suggestion of a nice tip sometimes works, along with a mention of the lateness of the hour. Good luck and have a nice trip.

Thanks everyone for the replies. Looking forward to the trip very much.

When we took that trip a few years ago we stayed at the Palace. The driver that took us from the train station in Oakland told us that San Francisco was fine in the day time but once it got dark to avoid the streets due to many homeless coming out then. From our rooms we could hear some carrying on on the streets late into the night so I don't know if I would want to go walking around out late or not? When we took the remaining trolley ride which is to Castro and the new recreation area near the ocean the Castro end was pretty strange. I can see why it has a reputation for attracting people with problems. However in the day we really enjoyed the cable cars and other attractions which made it a fun place to see, and we walked quite a few places without any sense of danger.

My daughter was recently transferred from New York City (Manhattan) to San Francisco.

She immediately noticed the huge number of homeless people in the city. She felt New York

was much safer than San Francisco. She was staying in temporary housing near the Mission

section of the city. One morning, she decided to stop at Starbuck's to get some coffee.

Much to her surprize, there was not vacant seats in the shop as all seats were taken by

homeless people drinking their coffee ($5.00 per cup) talking on their smartphones!!

She has settled in the Pacific Heights section of the city and she finds it more like

her former home in Manhattan, but is still alert to the challenges of the city.

I don't think she will "leave her heart in San Francisco!!"

We were there in June, and stayed at the Hyatt. I could see Fishermans Wharf from our hotel window. Nice hotel close to Trolleys and their quaint little streetcars. Public transportation is easy, plentiful and recommended. As far as safety goes, there were alot of homeless people just camped out where ever there was a patch of grass it seemed. I wasn't used to seeing anything like this but it was re-assuring to know if my well runs dry where I can go :) . No one bothered us and I never felt threatened or uncomfortable, if you use the precautions listed above and stay out of dark alleys you should enjoy your trip!

Last edited by a moderator:

You are about to learn why they call California the land of the fruits and nuts. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
You are about to learn why they call California the land of the fruits and nuts. :lol:
You left out the other part: 'and flakes', which is why when you put them all together it is called "The Granola State" by some.
Sounds like an episode of "The Three Stooges" or the current Republican Presidential Crop! (Fruit=Perry Nut= Bachmann Flake=Paul) :help: :help: :help: California has the name but New York City and New Orleans have 'em in the Streets! :lol: )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back