question about Sunset Limited

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

scott

I've got to choose between one of two long-distance trips: the Sunset Limited or the Southwest Chief. The thing is, I've been on the Chief before, several years ago. (Nice scenery!), so I lean towards taking the Limited this time--besides, the ride is longer :) My question: have any of you ridden the Sunset Limited? Impressions? Is the scenery great, allright or pretty dull (don't even tell me about Texas!). On time performance has no bearing on my decision.

Thanks all!

In asmuch as on time performance is not a problem (I hope you know what you are getting in for---it can be HOURS late)then by all means take the Sunset route for variety. Defining scenery is a personal choice, but it is very much desert, about the western two thirds.Near New Orleans you get some interesting bayou-type scenery.The desert probably does not begin until past San Antonio. I know that in El Paso you can see Mexico across the way.There is a giant statue of Christ that can be seen near El Paso, sort of like the one overlooking Rio de Janero. I have taken a number of cross country trips and have always gone one way and returned another. I strongly advise adding entirely different route miles to your itinerary. You will be glad you did down the road.In a way, being able to say you have been on a certain route might mean more to you than specificlaly documenting the scenery.Just don't make any tight connections!!

Hi BIll,

Thanks so much for the advice. I think the Sunset Limited appeals to me for the reasons you mention.

PS any advice on how to post a travelogue here?? Thanks,

Scott

I rode the Texas Eagle/Sunset Limited from Chicao to LA and back last summer. Overall it was a great trip. Be advised that if you take this route, bussing is often used to bus passengers from eastbound number 2 to northbound 22 when 2 is late into San Antonio. I was bussed even though 2 was only about 90 minutes late into San Antonio. This was somewhat of a downer because I had anticipated riding the San Antonio to Dallas segment going nb. Instead, I was rooted out of my economy bedroom and placed aboard a bus from San Antonio to Dallas. A food stop was made at a nasty restaurant/truckstop. This really sucked. The only positive, I got to se the JFK museum in Dallas which is near the station. I saw 21 departing Dallas from the same window that Kennedy's assassin used in the book depository. That was weird.

scott said:
How do I post a word document?
Scott,

You can't post a Word doc on here. You would have to cut and paste the text from your Word file into one of the typing boxes for this BB.

Even if you submit your report to On Track On Line they want a plain text file, and not a Word doc.

Hi! I just got off the Sunset Limited a few weeks ago and I enjoyed the round trip!

Going west, there's lots of open space for the first half and the 2nd half is all GREEN. We had rain in Texas and LA, the was cool.

You see the weirdest stuff off the line. Like a pile of horse bones on a pile of dirt or the old 20s era schoolbus i found in AZ wich we plan to drive out too.

The best thing on the trip is the Huey P Long Bridge in LA. INCREDIBLE!!!!!!!

You see it in day going west, eastwards at night. The view is very cool.

If you want to check out a few pics, go here: trains22.tripod.com; my site for trains. Click on the P42 and it will take you to my Amtrak pics menu!

Cya!

Coach34135

Amfleet said:
Regarding the picture with your son on the seat. How did you get the leg rest to go up that far? I've never been able to do that.
Amfleet,

It looks pretty normal for Superliners to me, although I have seen some that don't quite go that high. It's pretty nice when you're stretched out on both seats for the night and you have long legs (like I do) resting on them. It's almost comfortable (almost! ;) )

I took the SL round trip LA to Orlando in August. If you want to see my pix send me an e-mail and I'll send you the URL. Thanks.

PS) we had a great trip - but the train was late (6+ hours both directions) and my favorite part of the scenery was between TX and FL.

Amfleet said:
Regarding the picture with your son on the seat. How did you get the leg rest to go up that far? I've never been able to do that.
Chris got the seat to do things I'd never bother with. He had the leg rest all the way up vertical! He's silly. :lol:

That picture there was the first thing he did when he checked out the seats. He had fun with em!

That's one thing I like about riding trains is there's so many things to play around with or discover on the seats or in a sleeper room. I spent about 20 minutes going through every single function of a Viewliner Standard bedroom when I first road one.

Amfleet,I coudl not agree more. I continue to be amazed at how much can compactly fit into a sleeping car room---any kind of room, any kind of car. I am so mellow about the whole train that every time I have been on one about five minutes a warm glow comes over me which says, "This is home"..."This is where I belong". BUt that is especially true in a sleeper...but coaches, also, esp. the leg rest positions,reclining positions, etc, the meal tray, etc. ALos the restrooms can be well, interesting..

Add the compactness of a dining car kitchen to the things of wonderment about a train. Not that I have ever been in one, probably few if any of us have...except perhaps Miami Joe or anyone who actually works for Amtrak and perhaps B-51. But , most of all,I am amazed at a sleeping car room. The shower is intriguing, also,,not what a non-railroad person would expect..

I was in the kitchen of a Superliner II Dining Car once in '97. I remember one side was where dishes, pots, pans, etc. were washed and there was a larger freezer. The other side was where all the ovens were and some of the food was stored. I thought the kitchen was pretty compact and everyting was stainless steel.

Viewliner said:
Coach 34135 we've been so busy that we forgot to welcome you to the forums. So welcome :) .
Thank You!

Recently I've become a railfan and more important an AmFan :D I photograph the Surfline most the time, since it's local. I love getting action shots. I like the looks of the P59PHI and matching train, it just looks so right for SoCal.

Since riding the Sunset Limited, (my first long trip) made me an even bigger fan. I hope to see my coach car, 34135, again in a consist heading to who knows where!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back