question about Texas Eagle and connections

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sutton8596

Service Attendant
If one travels from LA to San Antonio, I see that you connect to the Texas Eagle in order to go the two hours to Austin.

Here's the problem: the ever late Sunset Limited gets in at 5am; the train to Austin departs at 8am. Seems fine. Three hours. But we know how late that train can be.

If I miss the connection, will Amtrak at least send me by bus to Austin?

Thanks,

Scott

Yes.

The situation occurs often enough to have reduced the bus mechanism to a well-run routine. depending on the passenger load, a bus or two goes to Dallas/Fort Worth, and another bus goes to all the stops -including Austin- between San Antonio and Fort Worth.

When I took that route in April, we were bus'd from El Paso to San Antonio, although when I got on at Tucson, they said we'd be bus'd from El Paso to Fort Worth. I guess by the time we got to E.P. they re-evaluated the timing. Actually left S.A. about an hour late.

The highway route from ElP to SAS is about twice as fast as the rail route, so you can make up a great deal of time if need be to catch the Eagle. If you call Amtrak and talk to an agent they should be able to tell you what they did on the most recent late train 2's

If you can find the number (it can be a wild goose chase at times) try calling San Antonio itself (if you can't find it on line ask an agent at the 800 number for it) and ask the agent there what they do, many times the people who do the dirty work themselves can tell you much better than an agent who sits in a cubicle outside Chicago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back