question about the Amfleet 1 dinettes

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sutton8596

Service Attendant
I read the postings (and article) about the refitting. Very nice. Does anyone know if these refitted lounge cars are being used on the Three Rivers? I've just booked a trip for next June and am curious as to whether one of these might be used.

Viewliner is right, the Three Rivers is typically 1 baggage, 1 Viewliner, 1 Horizon Dinette, 1 Amfleet II Coach, and 2 Horizon Long Distance Coaches, for passenger cars.

See they need all of those Horizon cars, so that the passengers can see what's on the horizon as the train goes round Horseshoe Curve. :D :lol: :p :)

hi again guys,

So should I try to get a seat in a Horizon coach car or the Amfleet coach? And is the Horizon dinette fairly big? Are will people be scrambling to find seating (June)? Thanks...

Well it really depends, in terms of who will be scrambling to find seats. I will tell you that I like the seats in the horizon coaches better because of the seemingly larger windows. The Horizon dinette is not much bigger.

sutton8596 said:
hi again guys,So should I try to get a seat in a Horizon coach car or the Amfleet coach? And is the Horizon dinette fairly big? Are will people be scrambling to find seating (June)? Thanks...
It depends on where you are traveling or the length of your trip. Conductors on this train tend to put those who will be traveling the longest in the Amfleet II coach.

I get to see this train everyday and it's consist does vary from time to time. I have seen it with two Amfleet II coaches and one Horizon.

The Horizon Food Service car is not bad. Heading west for dinner they place flowers and table cloths on the tables and offer a full meal service. Not as good as you would get in a full diner, but it does suffice. You will have to make a reservation if you want to have a full meal. Otherwise the other half of the dinette is used for those who will purchasing just snacks.

If you have the means, I highly suggest going sleeper. Since you are going in June, now is the time to book considering you can get a standard bedroom at a very good price.

Amfleet Fan said:
It depends on where you are traveling or the length of your trip. Conductors on this train tend to put those who will be traveling the longest in the Amfleet II coach.
I get to see this train everyday and it's consist does vary from time to time. I have seen it with two Amfleet II coaches and one Horizon.

The Horizon Food Service car is not bad. Heading west for dinner they place flowers and table cloths on the tables and offer a full meal service. Not as good as you would get in a full diner, but it does suffice. You will have to make a reservation if you want to have a full meal..
Amfleet Fan, the dinner service is reserved just for the sleeping car passengers I believe, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Yes, that is true, although not only on the 3 rivers. whenever a Horizon Lounge is used as a dining car on ANY train, the full meals are reserved for sleeper passengers. yet if they are not eaten by those in sleeper, they are given out to coach passengers.

PS. the consists that i encountered the Horizon were:

Carolinian-

Amcoach 1

Amcoach 1

Horizon Lounge

Amcoach 1

Amcoach 1

Amcoach 1

Amcoach 1

Amcoach 2

Much Baggage

Cardinal-

Heritage Dorm

Viewliner sleeper

Horizon Lounge

Amlounge 1

Amcoach 2

Amcoach 2

Amcoach 2

3 rivers-

Heritage Dorm

Viewliner Sleeper

Horizon lounge

Amcoach 2

Horizon Coach LD

Horizon Coach LD

AMTRAK-P42 said:
Well it really depends, in terms of who will be scrambling to find seats. I will tell you that I like the seats in the horizon coaches better because of the seemingly larger windows. The Horizon dinette is not much bigger.
Really? The windows in Horizon cars are the smallest of any other piece of equipment Amtrak owns. I'd much rather take a seat in an Amfleet II, than a Horizon any day.

The horizon LDs are fairly nice, but they are too bright when your trying to sleep. for that matter, so are the rebuilt amfleet 2 s. Sometimes i need to jam in a evacuation card to prevent the emergency lights from getting in my eye

Amfleet said:
AMTRAK-P42 said:
Really? The windows in Horizon cars are the smallest of any other piece of equipment Amtrak owns. I'd much rather take a seat in an Amfleet II, than a Horizon any day.
I guess I haven’t ever never really noticed. I will tell you that the Heritage coaches were my favorite for the same reason--having the largest windows. I guess I just associate "Square" cars for having the bigger windows :lol: . Of course the last time I was on a horizon coach was probably when I was 11, traveling out of Chicago. So maybe they just seemed bigger, and I seemed a little smaller :lol:

F59 PHI said:
The horizon LDs are fairly nice, but they are too bright when your trying to sleep. for that matter, so are the rebuilt amfleet 2 s. Sometimes i need to jam in a evacuation card to prevent the emergency lights from getting in my eye
Try one of those eye covers that they sell at a pharmacy or travel store. I've seen people wearing them in Coach and it certainly seems tp help. B)

battalion51 said:
Amfleet Fan said:
It depends on where you are traveling or the length of your trip.  Conductors on this train tend to put those who will be traveling the longest in the Amfleet II coach.  
I get to see this train everyday and it's consist does vary from time to time.  I have seen it with two Amfleet II coaches and one Horizon.

The Horizon Food Service car is not bad.  Heading west for dinner they place flowers and table cloths on the tables and offer a full meal service.   Not as good as you would get in a full diner, but it does suffice.  You will have to make a reservation if you want to have a full meal..
Amfleet Fan, the dinner service is reserved just for the sleeping car passengers I believe, someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Actually, when I rode this train this was not the case. Coach passengers were eating full service dinners at the same time I was. From what I remember, the coach passengers had the same meal, except paid on the spot. No proof, like first hand experience.

I'll be taking this train on March 17, (standard sleeper) so I'll let you know if this is the case as it was before.

Just got back this morning from train trip Ohio to LA on 3 Rivers and SWC. Three Rivers had Horizon dinettes both directions, All Amfleet coaches westbound, 2 Amfleet 1 Horizon eastbound. Recommendations on where to sit: If one or more of the Amfleets are the refurbished kind with the blue seats like I had last night, sit there if at all possible. Ask the conductor nicely and I'm sure he/she wouldn't have a problem with it. 2nd choice for seating would be in Horizon with green seats, very comfortable. 3rd choice would be unrefurbished Amfleet with red seats, last choice would be a Horizon with red seats, these are short-haul kind that are occasionally substituted when no other equipment available. Avoid this at all costs as the seats are hard as bricks and no leg or foot rests. Generally passengers travelling all the way NYC-CHI or reverse are seated in the nicest car. Usually plenty of room at tables in dinette for you to hang out in all you want.

Amfleet Fan, after reading this month's trains you are right, coach can buy excess meals, but only after FC passengers have ordered theirs. Good article on the Three Rivers in the March issue, News Section.

battalion51 said:
Amfleet Fan, after reading this month's trains you are right, coach can buy excess meals, but only after FC passengers have ordered theirs. Good article on the Three Rivers in the March issue, News Section.
I'll have to pick that issue up. Thanks for the heads up.

I now have a digital camera so I'll make sure to get some interior pics on the 3R and LSL next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back