Question on Detroit service and Dearborn parking

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
O

ohmark

Considering taking the train next week from Detroit (Dearborn or Ann Arbor) to Chicago. Anybody with info as to parking availability at Dearborn or Ann Arbor, and safety of leaving car? Also, any comments on business class and food on the Lake Cities (353 and 352)? Thanks for the help.

I regularly travel between Dearborn and Chicago, and work very near to the Dearborn station. The Dearborn station has adequate parking available. If for some reason the lot is full, (I've only seen it completely full once or twice) there is plenty of parking in nearby lots. I've never had any problems leaving my vehicle at the Dearborn station. The station and parking lot are directly behind the Dearborn police headquarters.

The food on these trains is your typical Amtrak cafe food...not near as good as dining car food, but acceptable.

In my opinion, the upgrade to business class is well worth the approximate $9 upgrade price. You'll get complimentary non-alcoholic beverages, and a voucher for $4.50 that's good toward anything that the cafe sells. You'll also be seating in a section of the train that only seats roughly 20 passengers, so there won't be a lot of traffic up and down the aisle. Hopefully, you'll also get one of the newly refurbished business class cars with the larger, more comfortable seats, and lots of legroom.

Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with the Ann Arbor station...other than seeing it through the window. :)

I have nothing to add to the comments above regarding the Dearborn station. I have avoided the Ann Arbor station for the past 2 years. The only reason is that the long term parking lot has been closed due to the road bridge re-construction that is about 200 ft. from the station. It was a huge mess out there for long term parking. You may want to call the Amtrak station in Ann Arbor and ask the agent if the bridge construction is completed and if the parking lot is open yet. The last time I inquired it was still closed, but that was sometime last year. The construction was a 2 or 3 year project. Other then that, it seems to be a safe area to leave a vehicle. You can get the Ann Arbor station phone number through either information or call Amtraks toll- free number (1-800-usa-rail) and ask the agent for the direct number to that station.

I always upgrade to business class, well worth the $9 each way! B)

Ohmark,

I knew that we had a few experts on Michigan over here. :)

Hopefully they've answered all of the questions that you had. If not, ask away. :)

See you around FT.

You can park your car in Ann Arbor there are 5 short term parking spaces and 70 long term parking spaces usually full on Holidays and weekends.

Dearborn short term parking 100 spaces 50 long term parking spaces. :)

I would not leave a car at the Det station we have had Amtrak crews cars broken into at that station.

Thanks to those of you who responded, particularly AlanB who suggested this forum to me after I posted on Flyertalk. I will be making this trip as I have business in the Windy City, a trip I heretofore have made by air.

Back