Question to tip or not tip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

slither

Train Attendant
On our long distance train trips we always travel in a sleeper, and i generally tip 20% of what our meals would be if we would pay for them. My feelings are always mixed on tipping the SCA, because we always carry are bags (usually one suit case and one carry on each) on ourselves. Then when we turn in for the night I get the bed into sleeping position and bring the mattress and pillows down for the night. When we get up in the a.m. we then return everything back to the daytime configuration. Other then some pleasant conversation while we're on board the SCA doesn't really do things for us which is fine as there are other people that can use his or her assistance. Is it rude not to tip under these

circumstances? Sometimes I get the feeling that they expect me to pad their palm when we depart at our destination.

Tips are an essential part of some low paid employees incomes. I am not saying Amtrak employees fall into this sector.

Tipping for good service, not tipping for bad service is straight forward.

If a sleeping car attendant is pleasant, makes themselves available and offers service, then I think a small "thank you" tip would be in order, even if you don't avail yourself of their offers.

Ed. :cool:

Amtrak employees are not paid sub-minimum wage, so tipping is not "essential" in that sense. (I.E. We do not enjoy lower Amtrak fares as a result of Amtrak paying its employees below minimum wage, in the way that restaurant goers in some states enjoy lower menu prices since waitstaff is paid below minimum wage).

I'd say if you don't want to tip, then don't tip. That said, a good SCA works behind the scenes to make your journey more pleasant. So even though it may not seem like you're using their services, you may in fact be benefiting from their foresight. [but a lot of those things fall under the category of "just doing their job"] But under no circumstances is a tip required on Amtrak and you should not feel guilty for not doing so.

IMO tipping is only appropriate if the TASC (Train Attendant - Sleeper Car) provides service.

Like having ice and juice out for their sleeper car passengers and coffee ready in the mornings.

Keeping the bathrooms and the communal shower cleaned and stocked is also part of the service I consider when deciding how much to tip the TASC.

If I configure the berth to both night and day mode I tip the TASC quite a bit less than if the TASC does that for me.

So I tip the TASC anywhere from nothing to $10/night/person based on my perception of how much 'service' they have provided.

I almost always tip in full service restaurants, mainly because that's just how I was raised, but also because I know they won't earn a useful wage without tips. In the case of the SCA there is rarely anything I need from them. I already know how everything works and I can handle my own luggage and my own bed and such. The main factors for earning a tip from me involving keeping the car temperature reasonably comfortable, maintaining a calm and quiet sleep-promoting atmosphere, and providing easy and routine access to ice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here we go again.....

Personally, I enjoy having the SCA change the room from day to night and back. Saves my back and never a smashed finger - some of the equipment is, shall we say, balky. I remember one SCA earning his tip one night boarding a late LSL in Syracuse, it has been a loooong day and the sight of the roomette ready for sleeping brought a smile to our faces.

I remember several excellent SCA's, one on the LSL in a blowing winter storm, stepping out onto an unplowed platform, taking my bag, holding my arm so I didn't slip walking to the door of the car, also late at night at Syracuse. He had my bed made and helped clean the snow off me before getting to my room. He even offered to get me something from to snack on since the train was so late. I tipped him very well. I have had a couple SCA's who were great with my granddaughters when they were very young. One made animals out of the hand towels, using them as puppets to get the girls to loosen up and smile at him, then he entertained all the kids in the car with train stories, and preceded all announcements with his own train whistle. The girls fondly remember this trip even today.

I never tip the AWOL SCA, seen only to collect his or her tip upon your arrival. These individuals also get reported to the Conductor and to Customer Relations when I get home. I have no tolerance for this type of behavior, but I also firmly believe in rewarding well those who truly care about their guests.

I always offer a gratuity to the SCA regardless of the quality of his/her sevice. Some are better than others and they receive a bit more. Close to a 20% of the anticipated normal cost of the bill in the Dining Car when I am a Sleeping Car guest, as well.

I vary between 15 - 20% for meals trying to be even dollar amounts and without spending a lot of time calculating. I carry a selection of ones, fives, tens, twenties for tipping for a long RT. I base tip the SCA $10/night/person as long as the SCA is not AWOL.

I've had SCA s carry my bags on and off which is part of their jobs . I've had some who simply left me to fend for myself. If they carry my bags I tip 2.00 bag each way. (Sometimes a Red Cap puts my bags on)Plus 2.00 to put make the bed at night and in a.m. so my tip is between 10 and 16.00 for 1 night or 20.00 if they are very attentive.

As far as the SCA s who never get around to helping me with my bags...zippo. nada.

I have also noticed many who do not tip from the Sleeper. Because I do tip, the DC staff usually quickly recognizes me and treats me accordingly, some much more than others. Also, before I leave on my trips, I review what I my possible tip cash needs could be to make sure I have a good mix of bills to vary up or down based on the service received. Long time ago I forgot to bring enough cash with me, so I had to limit my tipping to under tipping, something I have never done again.

I always ask names upon my first meal in dining room. Try to be very friendly which I am. I usually tip well unless its really poor service. For the SCA I try to explain my needs right off the bat. They are few but give him/her the times I like bed made and when I might need ice etc. Helps that they know my expectations but still get duds.

IMO tipping is only appropriate if the TASC (Train Attendant - Sleeper Car) provides service.
This is my basic philosophy. Gratuities are for services rendered (and if provided in advance, as discussed on other threads, aren't gratuities at all, but bribes). Customers who reward simply because they feel it's expected or because they want to be seen as "nice people" aren't helping the overall passenger experience. Tipping doesn't keep sleeper car or railfare prices down, and if rendered inappropriately, rewards those personnel who are essentially slackers and need to find other employment.

I never tip the AWOL SCA, seen only to collect his or her tip upon your arrival. These individuals also get reported to the Conductor and to Customer Relations when I get home. I have no tolerance for this type of behavior, but I also firmly believe in rewarding well those who truly care about their guests.
Good for you; this is probably the most annoying aspect of travel and customer service. Every food and beverage sales counter seems to have the requisite tip jar out nowadays. Yet, I never see any increase in service between those who actively deposit something in those jars (other than spare change) and myself (who believes that basic counter service is included in the price of goods). At the rate society is going, can tip jars on the sales counters of Macy's and JCPenney be far behind? (And if so, will I no longer have to chase someone down to come to a register to complete my purchase?)

As to the OP's original query, I have long gotten over the feeling of "being rude" when not providing a gratuity while in a sleeper. I have had great TASC/SCAs and have generally rewarded them appropriately. Others I've barely noticed while on my trip and haven't availed themselves to be of service---or in the other extreme, are overbearing in letting you know that they are the attendant in the sleeper and please notice what they do for you so they can presumably be appropriately compensated at the end of your journey. In the latter two cases, I simply "forget" to slip them something when I deboard.

That said, I'm pretty self-service when it comes to the train. I can only remember pressing a call button once in my multiple years of train travel and only request ice from the TASC/SCA since I can no longer get it myself. I've never requested meals to be brought to me, and have often made my own bed when it is more convenient for me do to so myself than to wait for the attendant. I've also noticed an increasing neediness among other passengers in recent years. I remember the first time I traveled in a sleeper to not being aware of what the call button was when it went off once or twice during my overnight trip. The last couple times I've traveled at peak times, I've heard the call button go off about a dozen times. It's like some passengers think of the TASC/SCA as being their personal butler while onboard. I hope those people are giving out Andrew Jacksons at the end of their trips, but somehow, I'm betting not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back