Questions about NYC to Philadelphia

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill631

Train Attendant
Greetings all,

I have a friend who will soon be needing to take Amtrak from NYC Penn Station to Philadelphia.

Neither have been to Philly in many years. Anyway, it looks like the Amtrak station in Philly that will be closest to where he needs to go is the one at 2955 Market Street. Is this the main station in Philadelphia?

His biggest concern is getting a taxi at the station. Is anyone familiar with this station? Are taxi's readliy available there?

Hi will need to go to the Lowe's Hotel, at 1200 market Street, downtown.

Of course, he will need to choose which train to take, but we are not quite there yet.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Bill

:p

The train station at Market Street is not served directly by Amtrak. Amtrak serves 30th Street Station. So you would want to purchase your Amtrak ticket from New York Penn Station (NYP) to Philadelphia (PHL) 30th Street Station. At 30th Street you can transfer to a SEPTA train, and as long as you show the SEPTA conductor your Amtrak ticket stub you can travel to the train station on Market Street which is known as Market East.

Actually to be clear, Amtrak's 30th Street station is at 2955 Market Street. There will indeed be cabs right there that would take you over the river and into Center City.

However, as mentioned by LongTrain, your friend could also transfer to a SEPTA train for free by showing his Amtrak ticket stub on the way to the hotel and the full ticket on the return, assuming that they are returning the same way, and ride the SEPTA train for free. By taking any Center City bound SEPTA train you friend can avoid the hefty charges of a taxi and leave them with at most a 1 block walk to the hotel depending on which exit they come out of. The Market East station is at 1170 Market St.

As one walks up the ramp towards the SEPTA area there is a monitor that shows the "Next Train to Center City" with track info. Catch the next train and ride to the second stop. The first stop is Suburban Station, the second is Market East.

As LTR and Alan have mentioned your friend can take Septa to Market East which is 2 blocks away from the lowes. OR pay $2 and take the El to 15th street and get off there. But take the train. Free! No conductor will ask for a ticket. Suburban is the Crew Change point and crews don't tend to ask for tickets till AFTER Market East. The train would leave from Track 1, 2, or 6. But there is a Information booth on the Septa level if he or she has any questions about it.

Steve

Actually to be clear, Amtrak's 30th Street station is at 2955 Market Street. There will indeed be cabs right there that would take you over the river and into Center City.
Whoops didn't know that I assumed 30th Street's address was something like XXXX 30th Street :lol: Just figured Market Street= Market East :lol: thanks Alan.

I stayed at the Loews in Philly the last time I was down there and it is really as easy as they say to transfer to a SEPTA train to Market East. A cab is also very easy, it cost me $10 to get back to 30th Street Station from the Lowes.

I would take a cab. SEPTA leaves you at Market East, which is a block north of Market Street, and the Loews is on the south side of Market. The station itself is two blocks long. The walk to the hotel could be two or three blocks. Take a cab and get dropped off at the hotel door.

BTW, the Loews Hotel is in the former PSFS building - an architectural landmark in Philadelphia. For many years, the PSFS (Philadelphia Savings Fund Society) Building was second only to City Hall as the tallest building in the city. Built in 1932, the building was the first skyscraper of it's style in the United States. PSFS was merged and dissolved out of business in the 1980's. The development that included the Loews hotel saved the building. Across Market Street is the Hard Rock Cafe. The Hard Rock is in a beautifully restored portion of Reading Terminal - the former city terminal of the Reading Railroad.

I hope your friend enjoys Philly.

As one walks up the ramp towards the SEPTA area there is a monitor that shows the "Next Train to Center City" with track info. Catch the next train and ride to the second stop. The first stop is Suburban Station, the second is Market East.
Alan - unless it's been replaced, this "Next Train to Center City" television monitor has been gone for the past few weeks. The trains to Center City are on tracks 1, 2, and 5, so I usually just see what train is coming next on one of those tracks.

Just take NJ Transit and transfer to Septa at trenton. It takes twice as long but its a hella cheaper.
And to save even more, take PATH from NYC to Newark, then NJT.

Only a railfan would do all that! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back