Questions about traveling with a baby

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Newbie with baby

Long time reader, first time poster here. I'm about to take the CS as my first overnight Amtrak trip. As I have an 11 month, I have a couple questions.

1) In the Dining car, how is a baby normally accomodated who'd usually sit in a high chair? I'm assuming a high chair is not feasible, nor would Amtrak carry them.

2) Given that the baby didn't pay a fare, can he get food off the menu? Cereal etc... (We're in a sleeper)

I'm well outside of the time window in which the Train-Bus-Train detour that the CS is currently experiencing.

Newbie with baby said:
1)  In the Dining car, how is a baby normally accomodated who'd usually sit in a high chair?  I'm assuming a high chair is not feasible, nor would Amtrak carry them.  
You are correct, there are no high chairs available. Amtrak does have booster seats available, so depending on just how well your 11-month can sit up along with how big he is you may be able to use the booster seat. It basically fits the width of the seat, so that it bumps into the table edge. The seat does also come with safety straps to help hold a child in.

Otherwise the only choices you would have would be to hold him, take your meals in the bedroom, or take turns in the dining car.

Newbie with baby said:
2)  Given that the baby didn't pay a fare, can he get food off the menu?  Cereal etc... (We're in a sleeper)
Well I suspect that the waiter/waitress would have a really though time translating his order into English. :lol: :D

However if mommy wanted to place his order, after she translated, the attendants will indeed serve him anything that you feel he can eat. He's entitled to a meal just like anyone else in a sleeper, even though he paid no fare.

You can even ask them to put his drinks in your own cups or bottles. Most attendant are happy to comply, or at least they will bring it to you in a paper cup so that you can then pour it into your own bottle or cup.

Most diner crews have "kids items." These are things like chicken nuggets and macaroni and cheese. The smaller kids are content to get stuff from mom's plate, which is a good deal given the rather large portions featured in the diner.

The smaller kids are content to get stuff from mom's plate, which is a good deal given the rather large portions featured in the diner.
I'd suggest cutting it up first though. :lol:
However if mommy wanted to place his order, after she translated, the attendants will indeed serve him anything that you feel he can eat. He's entitled to a meal just like anyone else in a sleeper, even though he paid no fare.
You can even ask them to put his drinks in your own cups or bottles. Most attendant are happy to comply, or at least they will bring it to you in a paper cup so that you can then pour it into your own bottle or cup.
Most waiters will bring you the (apple, orange, or cranberry) juice in a non-revenue coffee cup and from there you can pour it into the bottle with the right mixture of water to dilute it. Cereals available included (but not limited to) on most trains are Cherios, Frosted Flakes, and others. Dining is my favorite part of the on board experience.

Hello Newbie -

I have some good experience on traveling on long distance trains with a little one.

We have taken our son since he was 6 months - he is now three. Our longest trip was a three night stint last summer from LA to FL. We always get a deluxe sleeper.

Do not count on a booster seat to be provided by Amtrak. Although I have heard they are on some trains I have never seen one. We purchased a great inflatable booster seat that I would recommend. I did quite a bit of research and shopping before I bought this one. The one we got is made by "The First Years" and costs around $15.00. I actually found ours at Sears on sale and it was only $12.00. It is made of nylon and the seat portion inflates and it has lap straps. It is good for train travel as it is lightweight and very compact.

Here are my other tips for you:

Bring a sippy cup! They will give you juice in the dining car. And there is plently of bottled water available at the sleeper area. Bring a couple of bibs so you can have a fresh one, or bring disposable Bibsters if you like those.

Good luck and have a safe & fun trip - feel free to ask if you have any more questions.

Opps - that last post was from me - I didn't realize I wasn't logged in!

:blink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back