Questions about VIA's Canadian

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

coachseats

Service Attendant
I am fortunate enough to have the opportunity to ride VIA's Canadian from Toronto to Vancouver next month as part of an extended trip. I am definitely looking forward to it but have a few questions for those who have been on this train before. Thanks for any help!

1. I will be taking some food with to save on costs. As long as it is sealed or in a package is it OK to take food across the border into Canada?

2. Is there drinking water available on board the train?

3. Can you pay with American dollars for food on the train or will I need to exchange for some Canadian dollars? How about in Toronto and Vancouver?

4. If the train is running on time, how long do the service stops last at the major cities? Long enough to get out and walk around?

5. I have photo ID's and my original birth certificate. Is this good enough to cross the border both coming and going?

6. Any other major differences between this train and an Amtrak one?

Are you taking this train in Coach, or in Silver & Blue class (sleeper)? The onboard amenities are far different for each.

Coach, of course! A. My budget definitely dosen't go for a sleeper on this train. B. How could I possibly use my name on this board if I travelled otherwise! :)

Coachseats, you are beating me to the draw(though I took the trip 30 years ago, details understandably a bit hazy). I am going mid-September.

You need to check with Via Rail Canada's website and that will help.

1.As to food across the border, I suggest you call VIA (1-888-VIA-RAIL) and ask. They are NOT a 24/7 operation, rather, that phone is answered from about 7 a.m. to about 11 p.m. You could possilby ask the same question of Amtrak, as to border crossing.

2.Drinking water, sure, just like here. In many, many respects their facilities are very similar to ours(see below question 6).

3.American dollars on the train? Probably. When I have been to Canada before, not just the big trip but shorter, I SEEM to recall having no trouble with American dollars, but again I would ask. Since you will be seeing those people (on the train) for several days, Canadian dollars might make you more welcome, But call and ask.

4 How long the stops? Check the internet post or call and ask them to mail you a timetable. Some of the stops are quite long, actually.And there is quite a bit of padding in the train's schedule, I have read. You can probably pick up a timetable at the station or onboard, if not before. They will probably make good announcements about such things.

5.Photo ID and original birth certificate good enough, Yes, I think so, Amtrak timetable goes into this.

6.Major differences? There are a thousand ways to answer this, and with how much detail, etc. There is also a potential generation gap here(because this is well maintained equpment from 1954 as opposed to Amtrak's much newer equipment). ......so.....let me answer it this way.

FIrst, this equipment is the same kind, inherited from the railroads when Amtrak was formed, which came to be known as "heritage" by Amtrak. Still found in the east on some diners, dorm cars, baggage cars. It does not bear that name in Canada, no need.

Superficially, it will still look like our trains (though built in 1954, it will not look like an "old wild west" steam engine type train---it will still look good....very good) and it will be silver(as we are used to here). The equipment corresponds to our single level in a way, not to Superliner. But instead of double deck superliners, there will be a few "dome cars" scattered about consist.

Domes are camel hump protrusions sticking up from the roof of a few cars. There are 24 seats in a standard dome. The dome car is something you visit on your own, like the diner and lounge, if and when you wish, assuming seats are available. It is not reserved space, it is public. Though it is possible that, as a coach passenger, you will not be allowed into the rear dome,which is also an observation car.("observation" does not refer to the dome, it refers to the rounded rear end of the train with windows to look out. THOSE kinds of cars were invented many years before domes, thus the name "observation" became attached to them; first come, first served.

Our Amtrak Superliners have the advantage of the entire train being double deck, so you can see well from your room or your seat, as long as you are on the top floor. On "dome " trains, not so, you have to "go'" to where the viewing is good. One advantage to a dome, though, is that you can see straight ahead out of its front window. Look at the VIA website and you will see domes. (and also the Observation car).

If you were riding in a sleeper(and I know you are not) there are different names and types of rooms from what we have in Amtrak.

In a coach, I cannot think of any serious difference. Of course the shape will be a little different from, say,Amfleet II. It will be bulkier, boxier, less streamlined, the entire train will be that way. I think you will find larger restrooms, with sort of a lounge area within them.

The diner will be familiar looking (like a "heritage" diner). Lounge space will be kind of different. It also has some coffee-shop lounges, which will be slightly different from what we are used to on Amtrak.

Again, there are many ways to answer question 6, let us know any other questions.

It sounds like a wonderful trip.

With regards to #5: A photo ID and birth certificate will suffice, but I would strongly recommend a passport if you have one. Immigration and customs (both Canadian and US) are getting tougher. It is possible (but unlikley) that you could get held up for a bit without a passport.

Bill Haithcoat said:
The diner will be familiar looking (like a "heritage" diner).
Just FYI - I believe on the Canadian the diners are open to sleeper pax only - the coach pax do have a Skyline lounge/dome car where food can be purchased. This may have changed since I took the trip three years ago, but as far as I recall that is the case.

It is truly a spectacular trip - wish I could be going too! :) :D

Anthony said:
Bill Haithcoat said:
The diner will be familiar looking (like a "heritage" diner).
Just FYI - I believe on the Canadian the diners are open to sleeper pax only - the coach pax do have a Skyline lounge/dome car where food can be purchased. This may have changed since I took the trip three years ago, but as far as I recall that is the case.

It is truly a spectacular trip - wish I could be going too! :) :D
It's not what you would find in a typical Amtrak Lounge car. VIA Skyline Lounges have small kitchens where items are freshly prepared by an onboard chef. It's also not like Amtrak where every single item you purchase in the Cafe is nuked. Most of it's fresh, and the stuff that is cooked will be cooked in that little kitchen.

Be prepared to use Canadian money only on the Canadian. If you use your atm card in an ATM machin in Toronto, you will get canadian money.

The coaches in Canada are refurbished cars from the 1950's They are very comfortable. However, the space in the dome car will be hotly contested for most of the trip during the summer.

If at all possible, investigate getting a lower berth in a section in silver in blue class for at least a portion of your trip. It will broaden your horizons. :D

Thanks for all of the great suggestions! This will be part of a 30 day North American Rail Pass trip. There is a special dept. at Amtrak reservations that has been very helpful in putting it together for me. I figured that going through this pass would be the only way I could currently afford to take this train and it will probably be gone by the time I could afford to go first class all the way- so here I go! Getting some Canadian $$ at an ATM sounds like a good idea. I'll probably bring snacks for breakfast and lunch and eat dinner in the lounge. Trip will be in late April/ early May so hopefully I will avoid the busiest summer crowds. Will take lots of pictures and report on entire trip upon return. I'm sure I may have other questions before I leave.

As for the issue with food you can bring packaged food across the border with the exception of agricultural products (i.e., fresh fruit or vegetables) you would also have the same issue coming back into the US from Canada as they always seem to want to know if you are bringing any meat, fruits, vegetables, or plants back.

Since I live about 25 miles from the border, I can answer a couple of your questions.

1) Money... Canadians LOVE American money. $1 usa equils about $1.30 canadian. They would be foolish not to take it. Then again it would not be wise to use your US dollars either. Most banks by the border or a bank in a major city such as Toronto, Montral, or New York probably can exchange it. Another good idea is to use your ATM card at a ATM to withdraw Canadian money. Your bank will automaticaly figure the current exchange rate. This also applies to credit cards. For example, you purchase a cup of coffee in Canada for $1.30 with your Visa card. When you get your statement in the mail you will only be billed for $1.00 (assuming the rate is $1.30 to $1). DO NOT use the little stands in the train station (Toronto used to have one) to exchange your money ! This is a total rip off ! They make there money on giving you a horrible exchange rate. You would be better off using American money.

2) crossing the border... Your birth certificate and photo ID most likely will be plenty. If you want total 100% assurence that you will have no problems, get yourself a passport. Crossing the border at least by car has not changed too much, however i haven't done it on the train in about 9 years. Think about the passport, not saying you really need it but think about this..... If I get turned away at the border, it's only a 1/2 hour drive home. If YOU get turned down...it will totaly wreck your vacation !

Hi,

I took the trip last year and it was fantastic. One of the best trains ever. Before you give up on first class, call VIA and see if there are any specials or last mnute upgrades. The lower berth is only a little more than coach when you consider the food is free for three days!

Even if you do coach, the Skyline Lounge was very nice, one of my favorite places. Shouldn't be too packed in April.

Write and give us a trip report of the entire North American pass trip!

The dome car is something you visit on your own, like the diner and lounge, if and when you wish, assuming seats are available. It is not reserved space, it is public. Though it is possible that, as a coach passenger, you will not be allowed into the rear dome,which is also an observation car.
"Just as long as I can can have access to at least one dome car seat (in the dome section) as a coach passenger. I have read that, at various times, coach passengers have not been allowed at all into the dome seats--even in the Skylounge section. Hopefully that has been corrected. That rule still seems to be in effect on the Skeena during the Summer season. Too bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back