questions for upcoming trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We're headed to SF from Chicago next week. I am somewhat dreading the trip after reading some of the reports. We couldn't get a sleeper, they're sold out, and are traveling with two kids, including a 2year old! Yikes! But here's the question: the ticket agent where we bought our ticket told us NOT to buy a ticket for our 2 year old, even though we admitted that he was already 2. He said that he'd have to share a seat with his brother anyway and "he doesn't look 2 to me!"

Any advice? I'm worried we will be kicked off the train. I don't mind buying another ticket, but the train is now full.

Also--does anyone know if the California Zephyr has a playroom car? I'm crossing my fingers... :rolleyes:

Well they will not kick you off the train for the 2 yr old not having a ticket. Ask the conductor if there are any sleepers available. Since you say they are already sold out though, you may be outa luck. But who knows? Riding in coach, get the seats in the very front of the car. There is lots of floor space in front for the kids. There's not really a play room on the CZ I don't think. Thats why you should get the very front seats, board the train first.

CHris

suzrain said:
We're headed to SF from Chicago next week. I am somewhat dreading the trip after reading some of the reports. We couldn't get a sleeper, they're sold out, and are traveling with two kids, including a 2year old! Yikes! But here's the question: the ticket agent where we bought our ticket told us NOT to buy a ticket for our 2 year old, even though we admitted that he was already 2. He said that he'd have to share a seat with his brother anyway and "he doesn't look 2 to me!"Any advice? I'm worried we will be kicked off the train. I don't mind buying another ticket, but the train is now full.

Also--does anyone know if the California Zephyr has a playroom car? I'm crossing my fingers... :rolleyes:
He would have to share a seat with his brother anyway? Even if he held a ticket? The agent was wrong. If your two year old travelled on a ticket, he would have his own seat. I'm sure the agent thought he (or she) was doing you a favor by saving you one half fare, but that extra seat would be very helpful (I remember what two year olds are like).

Keep checking back with Amtrak about the extra coach seat. Sold out trains can and do open-up. Even check on the day of travel at Chicago. If you can get the extra seat, it will be worth every dollar.

Keep checking Amtrak about the sleeper as well. At seven days the sleeper charge become non-refundable, so eight days ahead may be a time when a lot of cancellations come through. The sleeper (Family Room, preferably) would make a world of difference. If one becomes available, DO NOT wait to see if you can buy an onboard upgrade. Snap it up right away!

Even once you get en route make sure you let the different Conductors (they change periodically) en route know that if something opens up during the trip you'd like to book it. Many times there are no shows or rooms are vacated en route. Especially on a long route like this a room may be occupied say Chicago-Denver, but is empty after that, so you may be able to get the upgrade that way. Ask your Chicago Conductor to check his/her manufest and see if that is the case with any of the Deluxe/Family rooms, and get them to do the upgrade then and have CNOC block it out right then, that way a station down the road doesn't sell it.

I would also echo everyone else's concerns about your two year old. Last Friday one of our Conductors refused to board a passenger because her son was over 2, didn't have a ticket (I think she also refused to pay for the ticket and the associated penalty). If your child doesn't have a ticket that's not only a moral issue (breaking the rules), but can get people in trouble for not collecting revenue on a passenger.

Hi, I took this trip a few months ago, and there were quite a few children on the train. I admit that it was not over full at the time, but quite an atsmosphere of family travel was evident..I felt that most train travellers seemed quite indulgent of children, and expected them to behave as kids, not as adults! Good luck! B)

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I'm hoping t be able to purchase a ticket for the two-year old when we get there--maybe they'll let me pay for a seat even though there isn't one to be had? I think the idea was that since I'm traveling alone with the 2 kids, and there are only two seats per side, the agent was saying that obviously one kid wasn't going to sit somewhere else, so they'd be sharing a seat and why pay for it. But I still feel weird about it, so I'll try to buy one.

Wish us luck! We'll post a trip story when we get home, complete with what happened with the unticketed 2-year old! Thanks again for the kind words!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back