Questions on CZ (5/6) & DEN

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sky Pilot

Train Attendant
So .. I have to go from Virginia to Denver on business in a few weeks. And within reason, my company will pay for train travel if it costs the same as a plane/hotel. Thus, I'm thinking of going from NPN/RVR to WAS to CHI to DEN and getting a sleeper. Looks promising on Amsnag but there are a couple of things holding me back. I did a forum search but didn't really find any answers to the following questions.

1) I read that the station at DEN has relocated temorarily while the historic one (Union Station) is re-furbished into a multi-modal transportation center. The concern I have is checked baggage. It's bad enough that NPN doesn't have checked baggage despite being a staffed station, which is why I'm looking at going from RVR. From what I can tell, DEN has half as many trains as NPN -- one CZ per day in each direction -- so does it offer baggage services. I know the web-site and timetable indicate such but I want to make sure that this is still true at the temporary station.

2) I laugh when I see a "will ___ meal be seved if I board/disembark at ____ station" question as if Americans in general couldn't afford to miss a few meals (including yours truly) :giggle: but here goes. With a 7:15AM arrival on #5 at DEN, is it reasonable to expect to eat breakfast?

3) Anyone have a rough idea what an upgrade from roomette to sleeper would cost: I read the Amtrak service manual and for the life of me can't follow the math other than the minimum is $50.

4) Anyone know if rental cars are reasonably available at DEN?

5) If I do this, I'd fly home or alternatively, fly there and take the train home. Having never ridden this route (my Amtrak experience is limited to the NEC, a sleeper on the CS from LAUS to SEA, and day use of a sleeper on the Silver Star from RVR to NYP) is there an advantage to going westbound versus eastbound? This time of year I don't think I'll have much daylight to see alot so I'm guessing most of what I see will be limited to Illinois/Iowa anyway since #6 leaves at 7:10PM but I thought I'd ask.

6) Apart from the schedule constraint of not running 7 days a week, it looks like the Cardinal is more expensive than the CL. From reading the forum it appears the basic tradeoff is more train-time and better scenery versus a more direct routing and better service and a full-fledged diner car. Anything I'm missing?

Appreciate anyone's input. If I can make this work in my mind, I'm inclined to give it a shot. One benefit this time of year is it seems like the train is less likely to be adversely affected by snowstorms than airports. This time last year I had to go to a meeting (public hearing) in western NE via Denver Int'l on a Monday evening. I was scheduled to fly on Sunday evening but after I got to the airport the flight was canceled due to snow in ATL. Flew the next morning from Va. to CVG but that flight was so delayed that I missed the connection to DEN and thus would miss the meeting. So I wound up flying back home from CVG that same afternoon. Not a pleasant experience and my client wasn't thrilled either.

Blue skies ..

Edited: Added a question I forgot.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I'll be able to offer input on a few of these.

Denver, even in the temp station, is offering full checked baggage service. The station is fully staffed and is reasonable for a temporary facility, complete with an indoor waiting room and parking lot.

I think you'll have no trouble getting breakfast, as they tend to begin serving at 5:30. Your SCA may even be happy to hear of your interest, as it will give them time to remake your room while at breakfast for the new occupants who will very likely be getting on at Denver as you disembark!

For rental cars. There are no rental lots near the station, but you can easily make arrangements with a company like Enterprise. I've done this before, having made a reservation and then called the local office directly afterward to arrange a pick-up. They know to expect a pick-up, and you simply call them once the train has pulled into the station. Wait a few minutes and you have your car.

Hope this helps!

Check Amsnag, http://biketrain.netfirms.com/amsnag/amSnag.php, to get a better idea of the sleeper fares. I don't have a great feel for eastern/midwestern sleeper fares, but have seldom seen Superliner roomettes available for less than about $125-150 a night accommodation charge (in addition to rail fare) as a low bucket. You are talking about 2 nights, one on the Capitol Limited, one on the CZ.

As a general rule, sleeper fares for single occupancy on Amtrak are almost always more expensive than coach airfare, often by a considerable amount. I have done business trips on occasion using Amtrak myself, but only get reimbursed for the rail portion of the fare. I have to eat the accommodation charge myself. This is partly because of my company's travel policies, but at the end of the day, it is the accommodation charges that make it so much more expensive than flying.

Checked baggage service is absolutely available at Denver.

I've never rented a car at the temporary Denver station, but it is right downtown and only a couple blocks from Union Station. I'm sure there are quite a few rental agencies in the area that would pick you up in a van. The Amtrak website has links to a number of car rental companies in Denver - there is a link on the Amtrak home page to Hotels, Insurance & More and then a further link to Cars. Not sure if these are good deals, but at least it indicates that cars are available.

Even though I am a big fan of the Cardinal Route - I would try to book the Capital Limited, if you are buying tickets. On a free (Award) ticket, yes - go Cardinal, but I recently purchased a Bedroom on the Cap Limited for my wife and I - from Ashland to Chicago at $442. What a deal, it is a great train, excellent dinner, Sightseer Lounge and Bedrooms at $442 (now $452 I think). Plus the Acela Lounge in Washington. That fare included coach from Ashland, VA.

If you are traveling alone - a Roomette is really nice, but crowded with two

The CZ is really nice as you pull out of Chicago - it goes very fast through the city. And once you hit the Illinois countryside - it is really nice. You should see snow too.

The train sits in Denver for an hour and you can stay a little longer in the dinner.

If possible, you really should pay cash for a coach ticket from Denver up to Granby, CO on the same train. Don't worry about the room - you really have to be in the Sightseer for this trip - up the Front Range. It's really amazing. Then hop off at Granby and catch the Eastbound CZ back to Denver. Perhaps the best day trip on the entire Amtrak Route. Just try to get a window seat in the SSL. Also -by adding this excursion, it will insure that you have time to finish your breakfast - which should be included with the sleeper. No need to rush off the train. But that would put you into Denver that evening, rather than that morning. But I would not miss that ride for the world.

Even though I am a big fan of the Cardinal Route - I would try to book the Capital Limited, if you are buying tickets. On a free (Award) ticket, yes - go Cardinal, but I recently purchased a Bedroom on the Cap Limited for my wife and I - from Ashland to Chicago at $442. What a deal, it is a great train, excellent dinner, Sightseer Lounge and Bedrooms at $442 (now $452 I think). Plus the Acela Lounge in Washington. That fare included coach from Ashland, VA.

If you are traveling alone - a Roomette is really nice, but crowded with two

The CZ is really nice as you pull out of Chicago - it goes very fast through the city. And once you hit the Illinois countryside - it is really nice. You should see snow too.

The train sits in Denver for an hour and you can stay a little longer in the dinner.

If possible, you really should pay cash for a coach ticket from Denver up to Granby, CO on the same train. Don't worry about the room - you really have to be in the Sightseer for this trip - up the Front Range. It's really amazing. Then hop off at Granby and catch the Eastbound CZ back to Denver. Perhaps the best day trip on the entire Amtrak Route. Just try to get a window seat in the SSL. Also -by adding this excursion, it will insure that you have time to finish your breakfast - which should be included with the sleeper. No need to rush off the train. But that would put you into Denver that evening, rather than that morning. But I would not miss that ride for the world.
Really interesting suggestion. (Nice blog BTW - brought back memories when I used to live in Richmond.)

So I'm thinking about my luggage for a week long trip. Any issue if I check that to DEN but don't claim it until I return from Granby? I'm thinking Amtrak allows you to store checked luggage 24 hours before they nail you with a fee. Looking at AmSnag, the fares on the CL are really, really reasonable and the CZ fare looks pretty good to. I probably would just book CHI->GRA and then a GRA->DEN ticket rather than want to vacate my room and move my stuff. The fare difference is like $34 and then the fare back to DEN is $17.

You've given me something to mull over .. I'll have to figure out what there is to see and do in Granby for 4+ hours.

Blue skies ..

I'll have to figure out what there is to see and do in Granby for 4+ hours.
I've been there -- it's a small town with a few shops and restaurants that would be within walking distance from the train station. Heck, you might enjoy just sitting on the platform breathing the mountain air.

Any issue if I check that to DEN but don't claim it until I return from Granby? I'm thinking Amtrak allows you to store checked luggage 24 hours before they nail you with a fee.
Amtrak will hold checked bags for 3 days before they start charging.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back