Questions on Empire Builder #28 Sleeper Dinner Box out of PDX in 2017

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChuckL

Service Attendant
I'm wondering what the cold box dinner choices and quality are for departures out of Portland on the Empire Builder. Could someone who's had this recently please comment? Also, is dinner served in your sleeping accommodation or in the lounge car?

About a year ago we did PDX to SPK on #28 to catch a river cruise.

Dinner was "box" lunches...my wife had a chicken Caesar salad and I had a shrimp salad. Both were pretty good...no complaints. At least good enough for the diner if not better! Ample size servings. Don't recall the other choices.

Our SCA brought the dinners to our sleeper (I believe he brought everyone's!)

Last edited by a moderator:

Dinner was "box" lunches...my wife had a chicken Caesar salad and I had a shrimp salad. Both were pretty good...no complaints. At least good enough for the diner if not better! Ample size servings. Don't recall the other choices.

FresnicPic. Thanks for the info and your welcome to me on my introduction post. Was there anything else that came with the salads?

Last time I rode #28 from Portland the SCA passed out the Boxed Dinners in the Sleeping Car.

Choices were Beef,Shrimp,Veggie and Chicken, but there were only a limited amount of each, so first come,first served!

I thought my Shrimp Dinner with a Brownie was excellent, one of the best I've had.

It also had a container of apple juice and the SCA passed out bottled water.

The Cold Boxed Breakfast served on #27 from Spokane in the Lounge was not so Hot so to speak!

FresnicPic. Thanks for the info and your welcome to me on my introduction post. Was there anything else that came with the salads?
Bob Dylan jogged my memory...some kind of desert (don't recall if it was a brownie or something else) which I gave to my wife :giggle:

Also, the typical non-alcoholic beverages.

Back