Questions on last minute reservations

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill631

Train Attendant
Hello all,

I have some questions regarding making last-minute reservations. I am posting this question here because, as usual, after calling Amtrak's reservation number, I got several completely different answers from several different reservations agents.

I will be taking the Lakeshore Ltd from NYC to CHI, then the Texas Eagle from CHI to Dallas, with sleeper accommodations on both.

Normally, I am able to book my trips pretty far in advance, but my next trip will have to be rather last minute for various reasons beyond my control.

Anyway, my questions are as follows:

If I make a reservation the day before the train departs, when is the latest I can pay for the ticket?

If I make a reservation the day of departure, how long will they hold it without for without having the payment?

Will they hold it right up until departure time?

Could I purchase my ticket at a "Quicktik" machine minutes before departure?

If I book and pay for my ticket less than 7 days in advance, can I change the date if I need to without losing all the money, apart from the 10% penalty? Keep in mind these are for sleepers.

I posed these questions to Amtrak and got several different answers.

Thanks in advance!

Bill

Bill,

Here's what I believe to be accurate, and I'm sure I'll be quickly corrected if I'm not:

If you're making a sleeper reservation last-minute (assuming you can find a room—train may be sold out):

-They'll hold the reservation until the train departs.

-You can, indeed, pick up the tickets from a Quik-Trak machine, as long as you're using a credit card or have paid via the phone or internet.

-If you pay at the time of reservation, you are committed to the cost of the room without the possibility of a cash refund (only way to get a refund on a sleeper is to cancel at least 7 days prior to departure).

-If you notify Amtrak just prior to departure that you won't be traveling, or if the train is already more than 2 hours late (the latter is not applicable to you since you're boarding at the point of origin), the sleeper fee can be changed into a travel voucher for 100% of the price paid. If you don't notify Amtrak of a change or cancelation prior to departure, and you've paid for the ticket, you forfeit the entire cost of the room.

-The Rail Fare can be refunded minus a 10% fee or a full refund in the form of a travel voucher.

-You should be okay to change the date of departure if you haven't paid yet. If you've already paid, and the new date is at a cheaper fare, then you'll have the choice between a 100% refund voucher, or cash refund minus 10%.

So... My advice is to make a reservation (even on the day of departure), but don't pay until you're absolutely sure you're going. If you end up not going or need to make a change, you don't need to wrestle with the non-refundability stuff.

-Rafi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back