Questions on planning a trip taking us to and through Boston

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is off topic, but I'm wondering why you would recommend the blue line to the airport (orange line to blue line to shuttle bus) over the silver line with its single bus connection for the same price? Or detrain at BBY and take Logan Express?
Very simple the Silver Line buses are way too small, they get jammed packed, and can get caught in traffic, just like the Logan Express buses.

Getting to the Blue Line may take a transfer, but it will get you to the airport faster, and I will add just don't take any form of transit to the airport during weekday rush hours, as any

and all forms of transit in our great city operate beyond capacity during these hours.

Ken

This is off topic, but I'm wondering why you would recommend the blue line to the airport (orange line to blue line to shuttle bus) over the silver line with its single bus connection for the same price? Or detrain at BBY and take Logan Express?
Very simple the Silver Line buses are way too small, they get jammed packed, and can get caught in traffic, just like the Logan Express buses.

Getting to the Blue Line may take a transfer, but it will get you to the airport faster, and I will add just don't take any form of transit to the airport during weekday rush hours, as any

and all forms of transit in our great city operate beyond capacity during these hours.

Ken
To each their own. I would rather cram in to the Silver Line bus than to have to take two subways and a bus to get there, even if it were quicker (which it won't be, during the bulk of the day). 25 minutes if you were to take the MBTA from BBY to BOS, then Silver Line (SL1). So of course Amtrak to South Station and then SL1 would be the same. Taking the Orange to the Blue to the shuttle is 35+. Unless it were rush hour and someone has a tight connection, I would absolutely recommend the one seat ride from South Station to Logan. Only during rush hour or perhaps bad weather would I say taking the subway connections would have an advantage. Especially if someone has any heavy luggage but doesn't want to take a cab or Logan Express, if they have mobility issues, or are unfamiliar with the area/Boston public transit. And in the reverse direction, SL1 pick ups at the airport are free (and could be used to travel about the subway system for free for anyone who's curious.), so that's another positive in that direction.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Back+Bay+Station,+145+Dartmouth+St,+Boston,+MA+02116/Logan+Airport+Terminal+A,+Boston,+MA/@42.3570037,-71.0836141,13z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m19!4m18!1m5!1m1!1s0x89e37a0c54df1ea3:0x624c2612bf081d45!2m2!1d-71.0755662!2d42.3474034!1m5!1m1!1s0x89e3701591acf8bb:0x7b434ef1b964608c!2m2!1d-71.0210987!2d42.3646391!2m3!6e4!7e2!8j1488286800!3e3!5i7

, I would absolutely recommend the one seat ride from South Station to Logan. Only during rush hour or perhaps bad weather would I say taking the subway connections would have an advantage. Especially if someone has any heavy luggage but doesn't want to take a cab or Logan Express, if they have mobility issues, or are unfamiliar with the area/Boston public transit.
This is my experience. I've done the connection many, many times. My kids also like riding the "loop" for fun. ie South Station, to airport via SL1, and blue line back. The blue line can be quicker, but it all depends on how quick you make the connections. The airport shuttle can take forever if it stops at the car rental, and boat ferry stops.

We ran into this issue a couple weeks ago when we were landing in Logan at 6:30, and needed to catch out train at 7:05 (north station). I know, tight connection. Despite being closer physically to the airport then south station, it takes much longer via MBTA. We ended up deciding to grab a taxi at the taxi stand, only to discover that there are no taxis! Apparently, you are supposed to call ahead for one.

There are hotels within a 2-3 block 8 minute walk from South Station. But we are talking $250 per night. As mentioned before, downtown Boston is not cheap! But for that sort of price you can have a modern room in a very ritzy hotel, overlooking the harbor.

Back