Questions on Sunset Limited Sleeper bedroom

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I will be taking the SL from Houston to LA in mid August. I have a reservation for a bedroom in car 130, #D. Is this car a Superliner I or II? Would the car be refurbished as to the paneling and larger vanity/sink combination as shown on the Amtrak website? This will be our first overnight Amtrak trip and was just wondering about the current conditions of the sleepers as far as cleanliness and working condition of the equipment, etc. Thanks,

I will be taking the SL from Houston to LA in mid August. I have a reservation for a bedroom in car 130, #D. Is this car a Superliner I or II? Would the car be refurbished as to the paneling and larger vanity/sink combination as shown on the Amtrak website? This will be our first overnight Amtrak trip and was just wondering about the current conditions of the sleepers as far as cleanliness and working condition of the equipment, etc. Thanks,
You never know what type car it may be before you board other than yes, it will be a Superliner I or II. Same with how well everything works. Luck of the draw.

To the average passenger (even among the "enthususiast" that are on this site) there is is no real difference between the Superliner I's and II's. The Superliner I's don't have the two small cabinets above the coffee station and they typically have the small closets in the roomette's, which of course you won't really get to see as you're in a bedroom. I will agree that the refurbished cars with the larger vanities and restrooms are a much needed improvement. My favorite feature is the blue night light for in the bathroom so one won't have that annoying glare protruding from under the door.

Enjoy your trip!!!

:)

You might go to the Houston Station(such as it is)on the trip to NOL(#2)the day before your trip and check theslleepers on the train, its ALMOST certain the same train will come back as #1 for your boarding pending any

bad orders,switching of equipment etc. in NOL. Otherwise it is Luck of the Draw!Bon Voyage!

"You might go to the Houston Station(such as it is)on the trip to NOL(#2)the day before your trip and check the

slleepers on the train, its ALMOST certain the same train will come back as #1"

NADA, that equipment sits in N'awlinz and the previous train #2's equipment makes up number 1. In other words, the equipment that arrives into NOL today (Tuesday) will be Friday's departure. Yes, it really sits there that long unused. The equipment that departed yesterday (Monday) is the set that arrived on Friday.

"You might go to the Houston Station(such as it is)on the trip to NOL(#2)the day before your trip and check theslleepers on the train, its ALMOST certain the same train will come back as #1"

NADA, that equipment sits in N'awlinz and the previous train #2's equipment makes up number 1. In other words, the equipment that arrives into NOL today (Tuesday) will be Friday's departure. Yes, it really sits there that long unused. The equipment that departed yesterday (Monday) is the set that arrived on Friday.
Amazing!Is this any way to run a railroad???We keep hearing they are short os equipment,perhapsthe big shots in Washington "conviently" dont know this so they can line up @ the trough for some "Free" $$$$>

Why on earth is this happening, they can sure use the Equipment on the CZ and EB,probably the CS too!!!

Thanx for the info! :blink:

Well back in the days when the trains would run through to Florida it would only layover for a single night. The only time there was an extended layover was when one set had to dwell for two days because of the tri-weekly schedule. Now Amtrak could probably fix this if they were to adjust the schedule, but they'd have to get UP and BNSF to agree to it. BNSF wouldn't be too hard, UP on the other hand...

"You might go to the Houston Station(such as it is)on the trip to NOL(#2)the day before your trip and check theslleepers on the train, its ALMOST certain the same train will come back as #1"

Amazing!Is this any way to run a railroad???We keep hearing they are short os equipment,perhapsthe big shots in Washington "conviently" dont know this so they can line up @ the trough for some "Free" $$$$>

Why on earth is this happening, they can sure use the Equipment on the CZ and EB,probably the CS too!!!

That is the reason Amtrak is proposing to run the Sunset on a daily basis. The three day a week schedule combined with the discontinuance of the route east of New Orleans left that equipment there for several days.

That is the reason Amtrak is proposing to run the Sunset on a daily basis. The three day a week schedule combined with the discontinuance of the route east of New Orleans left that equipment there for several days.
But Amtrak isn't proposing running the Sunset daily, they are proposing running the Texas Eagle daily with a stub train in place of the Sunset for the rest of the run and that's not the same thing. That leaves half of the "current" Sunset Limited route without sleeper service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back