Questions regarding my first trip Out West.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zoltan

Service Attendant
I am looking into a trip from the East Coast to California, and my first destination in the state would be to visit my friend nearby Los Angeles.

I am planning to travel from Los Angeles via Seattle in one direction, taking the Empire builder and probably breaking some time in Seattle, so my first question is which direction should I do it in? I know this has been asked enough times to solve the economic crisis if we got a dollar each time, but it would be nice for you to clarify the consensus for me.

My second regards the other directions. Leaving from Washington Union Station, I'm given, as I'm sure you all will already have worked out, four options taking varying lengths of time; taking the Crescent and the Sunset Limited with a night in New Orleans; or traveling via Chicago either on the Cardinal or the Capitol Limited (although I would then have to go via Chicago both ways!) and taking the Texas Eagle, the Southwest Chief, or, with a longer journey, the California Zephyr via Northern California.

So, which of these options is the most interesting in terms of the scenery of the route and the interest of places you'll pass through?

And in the case of routes which the Amtrak website would not immediately come up with on an end-to-end journey search, e.g. Los Angeles - Seattle - Chicago - New York, are there any particular tips or tricks on how to force Amtrak's website to give you the schedule that you want, for example splitting your booking into two parts at on obscure intermediate station? Or, indeed, would such bookings be easier for a representative on the phone to make with your instructions, rather than doing it yourself on the internet?

Fourthly, on the Empire builder and whatever other route you recommend, what would be the best side of the train to travel on to enjoy the scenery the most?

And lastly, if I was rationing my roomette use to just one leg out of the two or three for the sake of saving money, what would be the best way to go about it to minimise suffering while keeping costs reasonable?

Your help is, as always, very greatly appreciated.

I am looking into a trip from the East Coast to California, and my first destination in the state would be to visit my friend nearby Los Angeles.
I am planning to travel from Los Angeles via Seattle in one direction, taking the Empire builder and probably breaking some time in Seattle, so my first question is which direction should I do it in? I know this has been asked enough times to solve the economic crisis if we got a dollar each time, but it would be nice for you to clarify the consensus for me.

My second regards the other directions. Leaving from Washington Union Station, I'm given, as I'm sure you all will already have worked out, four options taking varying lengths of time; taking the Crescent and the Sunset Limited with a night in New Orleans; or traveling via Chicago either on the Cardinal or the Capitol Limited (although I would then have to go via Chicago both ways!) and taking the Texas Eagle, the Southwest Chief, or, with a longer journey, the California Zephyr via Northern California.

So, which of these options is the most interesting in terms of the scenery of the route and the interest of places you'll pass through?

And in the case of routes which the Amtrak website would not immediately come up with on an end-to-end journey search, e.g. Los Angeles - Seattle - Chicago - New York, are there any particular tips or tricks on how to force Amtrak's website to give you the schedule that you want, for example splitting your booking into two parts at on obscure intermediate station? Or, indeed, would such bookings be easier for a representative on the phone to make with your instructions, rather than doing it yourself on the internet?

Fourthly, on the Empire builder and whatever other route you recommend, what would be the best side of the train to travel on to enjoy the scenery the most?

And lastly, if I was rationing my roomette use to just one leg out of the two or three for the sake of saving money, what would be the best way to go about it to minimise suffering while keeping costs reasonable?

I just got back from a similar trip and worked out a lot of these same questions.

I ended up taking the Cap Limited West from DC to Chicago

the SouthWest Chief from Chicago to LA

then the Starlight North to Seattle

Seattle to Chicago on the Empire Builder

then the Cardinal (trip from hell, but not the Scenery) from Chicago back to the East.

some things to consider, daylight. it is in my opinion far better to come East on the Builder vs West.

and only go East on the Cardinal, Westbound puts one in the best parts after dark most of the year.

again going West only take the Zypher Westbound if you want the best chance to see the best scenery.

there is something to be said for the Cresent but other than the last part into New orleans there isn't much in the way of outstanding scenery. it is a fast efficient route, which for a railroad is flat and boring.

also West Texas is BIG, and taking a train accross west texas is looooooooooong, catching sight of an occasional jackrabbit is the high point of the trip (maybe not quite that bad)

take the Starlight, scenery is breathaking, try to get room or seat on left side of car facing North... or stake out a sightseer seat on that side early

however since these routings are the more popular, prices are likely lower going the otherway

in any case you can't really go wrong...

enjoy

Bob

get the roomette on the longest leg of the return trip, you will appreciate it more then.

Bob

Which direction your loop should go depends in large part on which trains you want to take and in smaller part on what time of year you'll be taking them. Summer means longer daylight hours and thus more of any given route's scenery will be visible, so as a general rule summer is better :) Though traveling through snowfall is pretty cool! Then again, I traveled through a blizzard on the Empire Builder in June this year, so this all follows the general rule that "on Amtrak, nothing is predictable!" :lol:

On the Coast Starlight, northbound the best coastal stretches will be in daylight while southbound it's less of a guarantee. On the Empire Builder, eastbound Glacier National Park will be in daylight while westbound it's less of a guarantee (but in late spring and summer, it's reasonably likely; this train has good timekeeping as a general rule, and even in late April it was daylight throughout the park).

If you take the California Zephyr, westbound the Rockies will be in daylight while eastbound it's less of a guarantee. I'm not sure of the best direction for the Southwest Chief or Sunset Limited, but I will say that I think of these three trains, the Sunset Limited has the least exciting scenery. (Ask me again in a month; I'm thinking of taking it in November!) The Rockies are magnificent.

The Crescent is dear to my heart, being my "hometown train" (growing up in central Virginia), and I enjoyed riding to New Orleans and back. But it's a much longer route to the west coast, especially with a required one (or two) night layover in New Orleans. On the other hand, New Orleans is a marvelous city and well worth the visit if you can afford it. But you have to consider that. And then, of course, you're committed to the Sunset Limited, which may not be the best scenery between the Midwest and the West.

Also, while New Orleans is fantastic, you have to factor in the additional cost of a hotel for a night (or two). I say "or two" because as you've probably noticed, the Sunset Limited only runs three days a week instead of daily, so if you arrive in New Orleans on the Crescent on certain days, the Sunset Limited will depart the next day, while on other days, you'll have to wait an extra day. Obviously, you can adjust your dates to make this work with whichever layover you choose.

In Chicago going westbound (and eastbound), you won't have any problems with a same-day connection because the California Zephyr, Southwest Chief, and Empire Builder all run daily. The three or four hour layover in Chicago is nice, since it's right around lunchtime and there are lots of places you can walk to from Chicago Union Station. It's only two blocks from the heart of Chicago ("the Loop"). Deep dish pizza from Giordano's is a favorite of many people on this forum :) You should also ride the El (you can purchase a day pass in Chicago Union Station, in the luggage locker room--and you can rent a luggage locker for your carry-on bags for a few dollars, too)--it's sort of a cross between "public transit" and "roller coaster", and it's a real Chicago experience.

The Cardinal has the great scenery of the Appalachians and the New River Gorge, which are most likely to be in daylight going westbound. The Capitol Limited has a shorter window of marvelous scenery in Virginia and West Virginia. The other difference between these three eastern trains is that the Capitol Limited uses Superliner (double-decker) cars--which all of the western trains use--while the Cardinal and Crescent use Amfleet (single-level) cars. And a third difference is that the Capitol Limited and Crescent both offer a much higher quality of food as compared to the Cardinal, and of those two, the Crescent has more seating in the dining car (so it's less likely you'll be told you can't get a dinner reservation). All of these trains also carry a "cafe car" in addition, which are all basically the same (where you can get microwaved burgers and hot dogs but not actual sit-down restaurant meals).

Note that like the Sunset Limited, the Cardinal also only runs three days a week. So again, if you're taking it, you should plan accordingly if you don't want to spend a night in Chicago. The Capitol Limited and Lake Shore Limited are daily, so a same-day connection is not a problem.

And your other option for a return from Chicago to the East Coast is the Lake Shore Limited (to New York), followed by a Regional south from New York. This is actually a fantastic option, as the Hudson River Valley is spectacular, and it will be in daylight splendor going eastbound from Chicago (well, once the train is going "due south" from Albany instead of "east", of course!). Here again, you'll be on single-level cars and have the least desirable sort of dining car, but the scenery is worth it in my opinion.

You don't have to book your entire trip as a single booking. You could try to (as it sounds like you did) use the "multi-city" option to do this, but there's no advantage over booking each leg of your trip separately--there's no price savings by combining legs. So you should book "east coast to west coast" as a single booking (e.g., WAS to LAX), "west coast" (e.g., LAX to SEA), and "west coast to east coast" (e.g., SEA to WAS) separately. That eliminates the problem you were having.

But it is advisable to book "east coast to west coast" as a single reservation and "west coast to east coast" likeise (each of which will be two trains) together--that way (and only that way) you'll have a "guaranteed connection", which means that if your first train is late, it is Amtrak's responsibility to get you to your final destination. If that requires booking you on a different train, that's no additional cost to you; if that requires you to spend a night in Chicago, that's no additional cost to you.

Generally speaking, for most trains both sides have good views about the same amount of the time--though on the Coast Starlight obviously only the western side has the Pacific Ocean, which makes a huge difference between the two sides :) For the Empire Builder, California Zephyr, Coast Starlight, etc, there is a lounge car open to all with enormous windows on both sides which wrap up to the ceiling. You're free to move from your coach (or roomette) seat into the lounge at any time for the best views (though for the Rockies, Glacier National Park, etc, it can get pretty full). As far as which side of the car your coach seat or roomette is on, you won't have a choice most of the time, though for some stretches the train may be empty enough that you can dash over to the other side of the coach car for a look if you spot something interesting over there. The river is on the left side (going west) on the California Zephyr while I think there were more mountains on the right side (again, going west); but really, both sides were grand, and if you're in the lounge you can see both sides. I think the best New River Gorge scenery is on the right (going east) on the Cardinal, and the Hudson River is on the right (going east/south) on the Lake Shore Limited. Being single-level trains, neither have the observation-lounge car (though you can always go to the cafe car and sit anywhere).

Perhaps the biggest factor here, since cost is an issue, is "which segment can you get the cheapest roomette". Roomette costs can vary tremendously, even over equivalent distances, because they're priced on a bucket system where the cost is inversely proportional to the number of remaining available roomettes. That is, when they're almost all sold out, they're really expensive ($400+/night), but if there are a lot of them available, they can be really cheap ($150+/night). Those are really rough numbers, but just to give you an idea.

As a general rule, a roomette will leave you well-rested upon arrival, so another consideration is "do you really need to be well-rested when you arrive home and can immediately go to sleep in your own bed" as opposed to "would you rather be well-rested when you arrive somewhere you're visiting for a limited amount of time". That is, you might prefer the roomette prior to visiting Los Angeles or Seattle. On the other hand, if you have to go to work the morning after you get home, you might want the roomette prior to that, especially since you'll be well-rested right before you start the entire vacation and you'll have "general travel weariness" by the return....

Remember also that your dining car meals are free for the time you have a roomette. So, for instance, you might value a roomette less on the Cardinal or Lake Shore Limited, where the dining car is inferior (and the menu for the "free meal" will consist of things like pasta or a chicken sandwich or the equivalent, as opposed to a menu offering steak or fish filet or several other excellent choices on all the other trains you're considering).

Oh, and one final perk from having a roomette is that if you arrive in or depart from (doesn't have to be both) Chicago in a roomette on a given day, you are permitted to use the "Metropolitan Lounge" for that day. It's a more relaxing place than the main waiting room, but perhaps more importantly for you, you can leave your carry-on bags there for free (they'll be watched) instead of paying for a luggage locker at the station. Of course, your laptop will be more secure in the locker than in the lounge (where it's watched but not actually locked up). Still, it's a nice perk.

If you are checking any baggage from Washington (or New York) to Los Angeles or Seattle to Washington (or New York), you don't have to handle it in Chicago (or New Orleans) when you change trains. It will be checked through, regardless of whether you have a roomette at any point. It's just carry-on bags that you'll have to consider a locker (or the lounge) for.

There are really no "bad options" here--these are all wonderful trains. But there are certainly differences (as you know), and certain routes might be much more appealing to you than others. Hopefully this helps you decide! Others will chime in I'm sure, and everyone here is happy to answer your questions and offer (perhaps too much!) advice :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I planned our trip next year to go from Chicago then to Portland then to LA then back to Chicago. But after hearing comments on this website that gave opinion that the view from the Empire Builder was better when traveling to the East I changed it to LA first then up to Portland via the CS so I can make that EB run eastbound!

I wonder if it might be wise, if it makes a difference in price, to do it the other way around, as I'll be going in during summer anyway, so daylight hours will be at their longest.

The amount of advice I've been given in awesome! I could be hours responding to this, I think I shall leave it until the morning.

I have riden on virtually every long-distance Amtrak train in the country, and in my opinion, the most beautiful scenery was on the California Zephyr. It runs through the heart of the Rocky Mountains in Colorado and Utah then through the Sierras in Nevada and California I HIGHLY recommend taking that trip!

Have fun!

Tom

I've taken the California Zephyr, Empire Builder and Southwest Chief. I think they all have their pros in terms of scenery, and not many cons. The Empire Builder's got the best views of the Rocky Mountains, just in that they're a little taller and wider than where the California Zephyr crosses them. Both trains also cross a second mountain range on the west coast, though at that point it's the California Zephyr that has the more impressive scenery. The Columbia River area on the EB is beautiful, but it just doesn't last that long if I remember right. The Sierras seem to go on forever on the Zephyr.

The thing I remember about the Southwest Chief is the desert scenery, which was just really unexpected and an experience I hadn't planned for. There are areas on that route where it's like being on another planet. The Arizona desert is, IMO, even more beautiful than the Rocky Mountains in some ways. The colors, the giant rock formations, the emptiness and "big sky" feeling, etc.

Of course, there are also sections of that route that are just nothing but flat land for as far as the eye can see. But that's true of the Zephyr and Builder too.

As for the east coast, I have also taken the Lake Shore Limited, Cardinal and Capitol Limited (as well as the Broadway Limited, but that's gone now). It's been a while since I did the Cardinal or Capitol but I don't remember the scenery on them being all that great - I literally can't remember a single thing I saw on either of them. The LSL has great views of the Hudson Valley and the mountains up in upstate New York. Once it gets further west it's mostly farmland, but that's just the way the midwest is. On the other hand, some people like Superliners better than the single-level equipment on the LSL, in which case you'd want the Capitol Limited. I think they've gotten rid of the lounge car on the Capitol Limited now, though, in which case that'd be less of a consideration.

It's too bad the Broadway Limited is gone, that was the best train going to Chicago from the east coast (in the Amtrak era, at least).

As for the east coast, I have also taken the Lake Shore Limited, Cardinal and Capitol Limited (as well as the Broadway Limited, but that's gone now). It's been a while since I did the Cardinal or Capitol but I don't remember the scenery on them being all that great - I literally can't remember a single thing I saw on either of them. The LSL has great views of the Hudson Valley and the mountains up in upstate New York. Once it gets further west it's mostly farmland, but that's just the way the midwest is. On the other hand, some people like Superliners better than the single-level equipment on the LSL, in which case you'd want the Capitol Limited. I think they've gotten rid of the lounge car on the Capitol Limited now, though, in which case that'd be less of a consideration.
The Cardinal IMHO has the best scenery east of the Mississippi, in New River Gorge National Park. There are only three ways to see that beautiful gorge, white water raft, hike, or Amtrak. There are no roads in the gorge that run right along the river.

And the Sightseer lounge car still runs on the Capitol Limited.

I wonder if it might be wise, if it makes a difference in price, to do it the other way around, as I'll be going in during summer anyway, so daylight hours will be at their longest.
When I made the switch the price did come down by nearly $70! :rolleyes: Just check it out and see!

When I made the switch, I called and spoke to an agent (Julie wouldn't talk to me) and let the agent know up front that I already had an unpaid reservation and wanted to see if could make the change to the existing reservation (availability) without effecting the price on my eastern connections on the LSL. The agent said I could and when she checked the price for the entire trip was lower. So I had her make the change.

Also note that I continued to have the same reservation number and the date to be paid by also did not change!

Warning though, be prepared to make the change on the spot. If you call back later, if even just 5 minutes later, the price could change and probably not to your advantage!

The Cardinal IMHO has the best scenery east of the Mississippi, in New River Gorge National Park.
I think the schedule when I took it probably had this part at night. I vaguely remember someone telling me I was going to miss the best part of the trip.

They may have changed the schedules now; this was a long time ago.

The Cardinal IMHO has the best scenery east of the Mississippi, in New River Gorge National Park.
I think the schedule when I took it probably had this part at night. I vaguely remember someone telling me I was going to miss the best part of the trip.

They may have changed the schedules now; this was a long time ago.
Westbound except during June and July, the best part often does fall after dark. Eastbound, unless there have been huge delays, you should always get to see the gorge.

Wayman, thank you so much for all your help!

Which direction your loop should go depends in large part on which trains you want to take and in smaller part on what time of year you'll be taking them. Summer means longer daylight hours and thus more of any given route's scenery will be visible, so as a general rule summer is better :) Though traveling through snowfall is pretty cool! Then again, I traveled through a blizzard on the Empire Builder in June this year, so this all follows the general rule that "on Amtrak, nothing is predictable!" :lol:
I plan to travel in the middle of summer, so perhaps i could get away with either direction given the long daylight hours. Is my reasoning sound here?

On the Coast Starlight, northbound the best coastal stretches will be in daylight while southbound it's less of a guarantee. On the Empire Builder, eastbound Glacier National Park will be in daylight while westbound it's less of a guarantee (but in late spring and summer, it's reasonably likely; this train has good timekeeping as a general rule, and even in late April it was daylight throughout the park).

And then, of course, you're committed to the Sunset Limited, which may not be the best scenery between the Midwest and the West.
Do you think the Sunset limited is a considerably less exciting train than the other two?

Also, while New Orleans is fantastic, you have to factor in the additional cost of a hotel for a night (or two).
That is a good point. When traveling, I try to avoid anywhere I don't know people I can stay with free, or the costs mount up! This characterises all the travel I do, pretty much.

Deep dish pizza from Giordano's is a favorite of many people on this forum :)
I shall remember this! :D

This is actually a fantastic option, as the Hudson River Valley is spectacular, and it will be in daylight splendor going eastbound from Chicago (well, once the train is going "due south" from Albany instead of "east", of course!). Here again, you'll be on single-level cars and have the least desirable sort of dining car, but the scenery is worth it in my opinion.
Being a fan of the Adirondack, I have the Hudson covered, and may well travel up it on a different occasion during my trip, so this does favour the caridinal somewhat.

I have visits to make in both Indianapolis and Cleveland, so the fact these are on different routes means it favours neither, and I'll have to do a stub of one or the other, however I do it!

But it is advisable to book "east coast to west coast" as a single reservation and "west coast to east coast" likeise (each of which will be two trains) together--that way (and only that way) you'll have a "guaranteed connection", which means that if your first train is late, it is Amtrak's responsibility to get you to your final destination. If that requires booking you on a different train, that's no additional cost to you; if that requires you to spend a night in Chicago, that's no additional cost to you.
Ah, thank you, that's very good advice! So do Amtrak, unlike British railway companies, not acknowledge missed connections on an itinerary that doesn't have one through ticket?

Generally speaking, for most trains both sides have good views about the same amount of the time--though on the Coast Starlight obviously only the western side has the Pacific Ocean, which makes a huge difference between the two sides :) For the Empire Builder, California Zephyr, Coast Starlight, etc, there is a lounge car open to all with enormous windows on both sides which wrap up to the ceiling. You're free to move from your coach (or roomette) seat into the lounge at any time for the best views (though for the Rockies, Glacier National Park, etc, it can get pretty full). As far as which side of the car your coach seat or roomette is on, you won't have a choice most of the time, though for some stretches the train may be empty enough that you can dash over to the other side of the coach car for a look if you spot something interesting over there.
Are you certain that coach passengers are permitted here?

Perhaps the biggest factor here, since cost is an issue, is "which segment can you get the cheapest roomette". Roomette costs can vary tremendously, even over equivalent distances, because they're priced on a bucket system where the cost is inversely proportional to the number of remaining available roomettes. That is, when they're almost all sold out, they're really expensive ($400+/night), but if there are a lot of them available, they can be really cheap ($150+/night). Those are really rough numbers, but just to give you an idea.
I guess that the bucket system favours me booking as soon in advance as i possibly can, then. And the dining car advice is very good!

If you are checking any baggage from Washington (or New York) to Los Angeles or Seattle to Washington (or New York), you don't have to handle it in Chicago (or New Orleans) when you change trains. It will be checked through, regardless of whether you have a roomette at any point. It's just carry-on bags that you'll have to consider a locker (or the lounge) for.
Are Amtrak good with through checking? I find myself a little worried about my bags not getting onto my connection.

I tend to travel with a backpack, a messenger back containing my laptop, and a medium sized suitcase; is there any need to check my baggage in this case, anyway?

Thank you again for your helpful advice! :)

Are Amtrak good with through checking? I find myself a little worried about my bags not getting onto my connection.

I tend to travel with a backpack, a messenger back containing my laptop, and a medium sized suitcase; is there any need to check my baggage in this case, anyway?

Thank you again for your helpful advice! :)
I'm not going to tell you that I never had a problem with through baggage checking. It might bring me bad luck on my next trip! :p

Seriously, you shouldn't have any problem with Amtrak with carrying and not checking what you've mentioned! If you will be in coach I'll let someone else answer on that!

I plan to travel in the middle of summer, so perhaps i could get away with either direction given the long daylight hours. Is my reasoning sound here?
Well, for the Empire Builder in summer, you've got reasonable odds of seeing the park in daylight, but if the train is delayed by more than 90 minutes at any point before western Montana and can't make up that time, you might miss it due to darkness. It's hard to predict those things. The Empire Builder is one of Amtrak's most reliable trains, but even so.... The California Zephyr is a bit less reliable (though it's gotten a lot better in the past year, I think). Again, it's a case of "if the train loses even 90 minutes or so, you might miss the scenery". It's really hard to judge those things, but the best suggestion I can make is to go to amtrakdelays.com and see how how on-time train 5 (westbound Zephyr) is to GJT (just west of the Rockies), train 6 (eastbound Zephyr) is to DEN (just east of the Rockies), train 7 (westbound Builder) is to WFH (just west of Glacier Nat'l Park), and train train 8 (eastbound Builder) is to GPK (just east of Glacier Nat'l Park) over the past four weeks. That will give you a sense of whether those trains made it completely past the most scenic stretches on time or not.

Do you think the Sunset limited is a considerably less exciting train than the other two?
That's the impression I have from reading about it. I haven't taken the Sunset, while I have taken the Southwest Chief and California Zephyr, so I can't speak entirely from experience.

Ah, thank you, that's very good advice! So do Amtrak, unlike British railway companies, not acknowledge missed connections on an itinerary that doesn't have one through ticket?
Right. If you have one reservation New York to Chicago and a separate reservation Chicago to Los Angeles, if the first train is four hours late, you're on your own. But if they're on the same reservation, you're covered. With a single reservation, you'll still have separate physical tickets for each train, but they'll share a reservation number.

Are you certain that coach passengers are permitted here?
All passengers are permitted in the Sightseer Lounge, which is the regular observation car on all the western long-distance trains. The Coast Starlight has a second lounge car in addition to its Sightseer Lounge, the Pacific Parlour Car, which is for sleeper passengers only.

I don't want to jinx myself or anyone else, but they seem to be very reliable with through checking.

You should be fine in coach with those, without need to check anything. There are overhead racks which are fairly roomy. The only reason to check the suitcase would be if you know you won't need it mid-route at all and you'd like to not be encumbered by it in Chicago during your layover.

Does anyone have any views on how the Southwest Chief, the Texas Eagle and the Sunset Limited rank in terms of how enjoyable the scenery on the journey is?

Does anyone have any views on how the Southwest Chief, the Texas Eagle and the Sunset Limited rank in terms of how enjoyable the scenery on the journey is?
I'm a definite fan of desert scenery, but even if I weren't I'd recommend the Southwest Chief ride. Nearly the entire middle day is very scenic, I think, with southwestern mountain passes, open deserts, and bright-orange mesas. Real John Wayne country. :)

The west Texas portion of the Sunset route is similar, but probably less impressive. I quite like it, but but I imagine many folks won't.

The eastern end of the Sunset route is flat country, mostly forested, with some hints of bayou country as you get nearer New Orleans. I think the Texas Eagle east of San Antonio ranks at the bottom of the "enjoyable scenery" list, at least for all of the western trains. Spending a whole day trudging across central Texas just doesn't do it for me.

I'm a definite fan of desert scenery, but even if I weren't I'd recommend the Southwest Chief ride. Nearly the entire middle day is very scenic, I think, with southwestern mountain passes, open deserts, and bright-orange mesas. Real John Wayne country. :)
The west Texas portion of the Sunset route is similar, but probably less impressive. I quite like it, but but I imagine many folks won't.
I was quite into the idea of going via New Orleans and seeing the city, and also, it would allow me to go to Florida and then go greyhound to New Orleans (Weber's law...) But ultimately, the best desert scenery has it for me; that's something I've never experienced before, and I would sacrifice that part for a more enjoyable three day ride.

I was quite into the idea of going via New Orleans and seeing the city, and also, it would allow me to go to Florida and then go greyhound to New Orleans (Weber's law...) But ultimately, the best desert scenery has it for me; that's something I've never experienced before, and I would sacrifice that part for a more enjoyable three day ride.
If I were planning such a trip, I'd probably end up on the Sunset, even though the views aren't quite as dramatic. As I said, I like the scenery, and the train has a very good on-board feel ... it's the least-busy of the western trains, and when I've ridden the crews have been excellent. There's also the crossing of the Mississippi on the Huey Long bridge, which is one of the more amazing sights in American passenger railroading.

And New Orleans is such a great place to spend a couple of days, even post-Katrina ... you just can't go wrong with that.

I'm a definite fan of desert scenery, but even if I weren't I'd recommend the Southwest Chief ride. Nearly the entire middle day is very scenic, I think, with southwestern mountain passes, open deserts, and bright-orange mesas. Real John Wayne country. :) ...
I would agree. My wife and I took the SW Chief to LA and back from Chicago in June, 2007, and that entire middle day was very enjoyable. I shot three hours of video and tons of digital pics during the vacation, and the lion's share was on the train!

So it seems I'm faced with a very difficult decision of the Sunset Limited vs. the Southwest Chief...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back