Questions - Upcoming LD Trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

manchacrr

Lead Service Attendant
In January, I will be taking a cross-America trip on Amtrak and VIA Rail. My questions are as follows:

1. Does Amtrak serve dinner to coach passengers departing Chicago on the eastbound Cardinal?

2. I will be arriving into CHI on the CONO in a sleeper. Will I be able to use the Metropolitan Lounge even if I am departing that afternoon in coach on the Cardinal and will I be able to board the Cardinal from the lounge or return to the normal waiting room?

3. What is the usual procedure for the customs check on the Maple Leaf at Niagara Falls and on the Cascades at Vancouver? I will be in coach on the Maple Leaf from NYP-TWO and in business class on the Cascades from VAC-SEA.

4. Is there an area for baggage storage at Toronto and Vancouver? I will be traveling in a sleeper on the Canadian.

5. What is the typical winter consist for the Canadian?

6. What is the business class seating arrangement on the Cascades?

7. Where is the bag storage at King Street Station in Seattle and does the station have taxi service nearby?

My trip is as follows:

Jan. 2 = City of New Orleans: HMD-CHI - Roomette

Jan. 3 = Cardinal: CHI-NYP - Coach

Jan. 6 = Maple Leaf: NYP-TWO - Coach

Jan. 7 = Canadian: TWO-VAC - Cabin for 1

Jan. 11 = Cascades: VAC-SEA - Business Class

Jan. 12 = Empire Builder: SEA-CHI - Roomette

Jan. 14 = City of New Orleans: CHI-HMD - Roomette

In January, I will be taking a cross-America trip on Amtrak and VIA Rail. My questions are as follows:

1. Does Amtrak serve dinner to coach passengers departing Chicago on the eastbound Cardinal?

2. I will be arriving into CHI on the CONO in a sleeper. Will I be able to use the Metropolitan Lounge even if I am departing that afternoon in coach on the Cardinal and will I be able to board the Cardinal from the lounge or return to the normal waiting room?

3. What is the usual procedure for the customs check on the Maple Leaf at Niagara Falls and on the Cascades at Vancouver? I will be in coach on the Maple Leaf from NYP-TWO and in business class on the Cascades from VAC-SEA.

4. Is there an area for baggage storage at Toronto and Vancouver? I will be traveling in a sleeper on the Canadian.

7. Where is the bag storage at King Street Station in Seattle and does the station have taxi service nearby?

My trip is as follows:

6. Business class seating on the Amtrak Cascades is 1-2, while coach is 2-2.

7. Unless baggage storage has moved with progress on Keng Street Station remodeling, the clerk at the baggage check station next to the baggage carousel can store bags. Taxis are located out the front door and to the left. This will change as exterior remodeling progresses.

My trip is as follows:

1. Probably yes, but you pay menu prices since you are in coach.

2. Not sure if the lounge in CHI can be used as an arrivals lounge, but since you are departing that afternoon on the Cardinal in coach, when you are waiting for that train, you will not be able to use the lounge as a departure lounge. I don't recall the hours but since CONO arrives at 9:00 AM, they might not be open that early.

First Class Chicago Lounge: a couple of years ago I arrived on train 58 in sleeper and was connecting to the Eagle to St. Louis for a day trip in coach. The 1st class lounge was open when I arrived and we were allowed to store luggage there and wait for the departure of train 21.

Yes, but it's expensive and not that great. I recall eating pot roast the last time I was on that train, but only because it was free, because I was in the sleeper. Since you're in coach, you'd do much better getting something to eat in Chicago before boarding, or buying food to bring on board.

Last edited by a moderator:
2. Not sure if the lounge in CHI can be used as an arrivals lounge, but since you are departing that afternoon on the Cardinal in coach, when you are waiting for that train, you will not be able to use the lounge as a departure lounge. I don't recall the hours but since CONO arrives at 9:00 AM, they might not be open that early.

My understanding is that it can be used as an arrivals lounge and since you are arriving in a sleeper, you have access to the lounge. Check with the lounge attendant about the procedure for boarding coach.

2) Yes, you can use the Metropolitan Lounge since you are arriving on a sleeper, and yes, you can board the Cardinal from there. This past August I along with my uncle and his granddaughter rode to Chicago on the CONO in a sleeper and later that same day went to Los Angeles on the SWC in coach, though not by choice (we had been scheduled for the CZ but it had been cancelled the day before and our only other option was coach to LA), and we boarded the SWC from the Metropolitan Lounge. We greased the palms of a redcap quite handsomely :lol: and he got us out of the lounge and onto the platform early so we could board before everyone else, except for a group of Boy Scouts. All that to say yes, you can board the Cardinal from the Metropolitan Lounge.

I think you can wait for the Cardinal in the metropolitan lounge, but I do not think they will allow you to board from there (based on the announcements that I have heard).

:hi: As has been said, you will be able to use the Metro Lounge in CHI wen you arrive, the tip about using a Red Cap is excellent :excl: , you wont have to take the Kindergarden Walk out the door and down the platform and thru the gates, the RedCap (which you arrange @ the Check-in desk in the lounge, best $5 tip ever!))will take you on a golf cart to Trainside,and you can day check your baggage in the Lounge (please remember to tip the attendant a couple of dollars!)!)and spend your layover checking out Chicago and Union Station!

As was said, the food on the Cardinal isnt worth the list price, eat before you board or in the cafe car and take food/snacks with you! Also consider going Business Class from NYP-TWO, its definitely worth it for the 2X1 seating and Customs and Immigration check the BC Car first!

(remember @ the border the train turns into a VIA Train from an Amtrak Train, the crew and the snacks change, Train remains Amtrak Equipment! Youll have to pay for your refreshments but they have better stuff, including Coke! :cool: and for sure the attendants are more friendly than the New York people! ^_^ )Nice trip!!!

My trip is as follows:

Now THAT is an awesome and very epic trip! You'll have a lot of fun, and the Canadian is absolutely Top Notch in every respect.

Alright.. I think I can offer some insight into some of these other questions.

#4 Yes, there are bag check opportunities at both stations. Look for the red glass light (about the size of a pumpkin) in the main entrance area of Toronto and beneath it you will find the red cap. There they will be more than happy to take your bag(s) and will make sure to place them into your compartment prior to your boarding the train. All you have to do is show them your ticket and give a small tip; service with a smile! (Trivia time! The location of the Red Cap in Toronto Union Station is also the same location used in the movie Silver Streek where in the final climactic scene the two locomotives run through the track bumpers at the end of the platform (in the movie it is depicted as Chicago, but they filmed in Toronto) and crash through the Head House and into the concourse. Also, the cars used in the movie are the same ones you'll be traveling on.)

In Vancouver, the same is true. I held my bags with the Red Cap (beneath the same red glass globe light) before taking my Cascades connection to Seattle. The only difference is you have to pick your bag(s) up in person to go through the Customs pre-clearance. They cannot put the luggage on the train for you.

Something of an additional plus, you should enjoy the First Class lounge in Toronto. They do it better than Amtrak, IMHO. And you'll be able to enjoy early boarding to your train.

#5 The winter consist in 2008 (when I last rode) was as follows:

F40PH

F40PH

Baggage

Coach

Coach

Sightseer Lounge (dome)

Diner

Chateau Sleeper

Chateau Sleeper

Chateau Sleeper

Chateau Sleeper

Manor Sleeper (added @ Jasper)

Manor Sleeper (added @ Jasper)

Park Car (dome)

I think you can wait for the Cardinal in the metropolitan lounge, but I do not think they will allow you to board from there (based on the announcements that I have heard).
I can't see how they would know, once you're in the lounge (courtesy of your stub from the previous leg) nobody looks at your ticket until you get to the train (in my experience, at least).

Not so, Penny - I have boarded The Cardinal several times into coach from the lounge (came in with a sleeper ticket). As Ryan said, once you are in the lounge they could care less if you board coach or a sleeper. Everyone from the lounge broads together. And, the coach people were always ready for us when we got there well in front of the masses from the coach boarding area.

The only time the lounge folks make you go board from the coach area is if your train doesn't have a sleeper.

Not so, Penny - I have boarded The Cardinal several times into coach from the lounge (came in with a sleeper ticket). As Ryan said, once you are in the lounge they could care less if you board coach or a sleeper. Everyone from the lounge broads together. And, the coach people were always ready for us when we got there well in front of the masses from the coach boarding area.

The only time the lounge folks make you go board from the coach area is if your train doesn't have a sleeper.
Oops. Sorry. Thanks Tom for correcting me.

Tom,

Overall you are correct, they generally allow coach to board out of the lounge if you can get into the lounge in the first place. The one exception is the Lake Shore Limited. Since they try to board the sleeper pax about 45 minute to 1 hour early for the wine & cheese, the coach attendants are not ready for coach passengers to board. The coach passengers are kept in the lounge longer and then unfortunately sent out to the regular gate for boarding.

As was said, the food on the Cardinal isnt worth the list price, eat before you board or in the cafe car and take food/snacks with you! Also consider going Business Class from NYP-TWO, its definitely worth it for the 2X1 seating and Customs and Immigration check the BC Car first!

(remember @ the border the train turns into a VIA Train from an Amtrak Train, the crew and the snacks change, Train remains Amtrak Equipment! Youll have to pay for your refreshments but they have better stuff, including Coke! :cool: and for sure the attendants are more friendly than the New York people! ^_^ )Nice trip!!!
I just called Amtrak and upgraded to a roomette on the Cardinal and business class on the Maple Leaf!! :cool: :D :)

I just called Amtrak and upgraded to a roomette on the Cardinal and business class on the Maple Leaf!! :cool: :D :)
Hope that you got a half decent sleeper fare on the Cardinal. Roomettes on the Cardinal are few and tend to sell for as low as $100 and as high as $479.00, a result of the one sleeper car and few available roomettes.

Hope that you got a half decent sleeper fare on the Cardinal. Roomettes on the Cardinal are few and tend to sell for as low as $100 and as high as $479.00, a result of the one sleeper car and few available roomettes.
I paid $199 for the roomette on the Cardinal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back