QuikTrak and smartphones

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jdcnosse

Lead Service Attendant
Has anyone with a smartphone tried pulling their email confirmation up on their phone and then having the QuikTrak scan that instead of a piece of paper?

I tried to on my Android phone but gmail wouldn't load the barcode image :( Luckily KAL does have one staff member working, so I was able to get my tickets that way...

Only 40ish minutes until I'm on a train again! Even if it is just KAL to CHI for the day :)

I have tried to scan the bar code using my iphone 3 times with no luck. Immediately after trying, I have scanned the paper copy and it goes right thru. I have a plastic protector on my phone face that might be causing distortion or reflection.

The machines will not pick up the bar code, I have watched many try! I tried with my XOOM to see if screen size made any difference and it did not.

I'm also heading to CHI today only I'm on the Pere Marqutte!

The Quik Trak's use a older, laser scanner which just reflects off a smartphone screen. Newer scanners are optical - essentially a video camera that processes the image and decodes the barcode. The scanners being used on the Downeaster (iPhones) will read the QR codes being used for Amtrak E-Ticket confirmations. This will be the system rolled-out nationwide.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have also repeatedly tried to scan the barcode on my iPhone at the QT with no success.

Maybe this is why my local QT has been broken recently; too many folks trying in vain to get it to scan a tiny video screen it can't even see. :lol:

Having used the actual scanners intended to work on phones I must say it wasn't as simple as I had hoped. Maybe it's because I didn't have an app that would force the image to display in a way that the scanner could easily read. Instead the phone variously re-sized and/or re-oriented the image in ways the scanner was apparently not expecting. The TSA guys didn't know how my phone worked and I didn't know how their scanner worked so we just sort of screwed with it for a few minutes until something beeped and I was on my way.

Awe well it was worth a try. Currently stuck on 365 no more than 10-20 miles from CUS because of a dead Norfolk Southern train and the 351 in front of us lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back