Radio stations along Texas Eagle route

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I mostly listen to the non-commercial part of the FM band (88-92 mhz) on train trips. There are some in the 92-108 mhz segment as well. There are quite a few interesting local stations along the route. Not a fan of NPR since most of their programming is national, but sometimes there is some interesting local programming at night and on weekends.

I discovered "chicken scratch" music on a local Native American "Res Radio" station in the Yuma-Winterhaven" area on my last trip aboard the Eagle/Sunset ! KXCI 91.3 in Tucson is good too.

Last edited:
Even though the thread was about the Texas Eagle route I thought it would be interesting to list some of the radio stations along another western route - the Southwest Chief.

Of course beginning in Chicago with the high-powered AM's of 670, 720, 780, and 890, that would be identical to the Texas Chief. Even though the SW Chief doesn't go through St. Louis a passenger might be able to pick up AM 1120 as they pass through NW Missouri. Going across northern Missouri it's possible a good signal from AM 1040 Des Moines, Iowa, could be heard. Probably the best signal from Kansas City would be AM 610, followed westbound by AM 580 Topeka.

Going across SW Colorado it's possible AM 850 out of Denver could be listened to, and in New Mexico AM 770 from Albuquerque. There would be no high powered stations in Arizona, but AM 1160 Salt Lake City probably puts a grade A signal into northern Arizona. And at the end of the line in Los Angeles the two strongest signals would be AM 640 and AM 1070.

These stations all have a variety of talk programming including popular syndicated talk show hosts and interesting local hosts, along with news, sports, and weather reports.

Here is a list of US radio stations with 50,000 watt outputs:

https://is.gd/4h24HL
You might also try 820 in Ft Worth, TX; 1120 in St Louis, and 1200 in San Antonio.
I have picked up 770 in Albuquerque and 1160 in Salt Lake City, at night, from my home in Northern Calif. So, possibly you could hear those stations on the Texas Eagle.

By the way, I read on another forum that the T. Eagle departure time and arrival times, out of Chicago, will change. A 11:55 AM departure time and a 3:30 PM arrival time. Also, a 2+ hour stop in St. Louis for a train inspection. I don't know when the change will take place.

Richard

Last edited:
Back