Rail for Less: a fare checking site

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just checked it on both Firefox & Edge. The site is down as of Saturday March 16th
https://railforless.us/ appears to be working for me (today, Sat 3/16) on Chrome (with the exception I have been discussing above).
You might need to delete cookies and site data for the site. Amtrak.com wasn't working for me on Firefox, and that fixed it.

ETA: RFL just worked for me on Firefox, but it was slower than usual.

Just checked it on both Firefox & Edge. The site is down as of Saturday March 16th

I'm not seeing any issues in the logs. It's possible that you tried to use it during the five minutes of downtime I needed to update the Docker images.

EDIT: Just tried again for one specific date. One-way was selected and it couldn't find anything for the SWC.
Tried on the app with same paramaters and it returned the SWC with coach and rooms available

This seems to work:
1710634038909.png

Last edited:
Odd:
1710645644853.png
At any rate, this is a client-side display issue and not a fundamental flaw in the data we are getting from Amtrak (thankfully).

The route list is broken, however:
1710645678752.png
This makes me wonder if @tikkisean is accidently caching the routes from past searches (the Pacific Surfliner makes no sense for these station pairs, for example).

Odd:
View attachment 36206
At any rate, this is a client-side display issue and not a fundamental flaw in the data we are getting from Amtrak (thankfully).

The route list is broken, however:
View attachment 36207
This makes me wonder if @tikkisean is accidently caching the routes from past searches (the Pacific Surfliner makes no sense for these station pairs, for example).
The Pacific Surfliner is probably for the itinerary that requires taking a Surfliner train to an overnight bus to the California Zephyr. It shows up if you want to do LAX-CHI.
4D926E84-801F-4372-8AE5-CBDE3D3F9FA2.png

Why can’t Amtrak put fares at a glance on their website? Why is this so difficult? Airlines do it.
Airlines do it because they need to compete with other airlines, but Amtrak seems to think they have no competition. When it comes to my trips Amtrak is competing with driving and/or flying, and usually falling way behind. I miss the Boardman days when Amtrak acted like they did have competition and even advertised inside airport TSA bins reminding people they did not have to remove their belts and shoes to ride the train. In my view the 2010-2015 period was the apex of travel on Amtrak.

I just want to say I've used this site a number of times with Edge and I haven't really had a problem, other than those I've seemingly caused myself. Using the "back" button and/or clearing the cache seems to remedy most situations I've encountered.
Some returns are a little tedious if Amtrak offers multiple trains and mixed service for the route chosen, but then, so is the Amtrak website. Using different sorts in these instances can help, as well as displaying more returns per page. Maybe a sort by number of segments would help? I know I would like to see that.

Thanks so much, Mr. Technician, for your work on this site. I am grateful.

Hey all,

I thought I'd check up on this thread as I just pushed the first major update to the site since we launched v2 last month. I apologize for the issues some of you were facing--you're correct in pointing out we had a bug with single-day searches which should now be resolved. Amtrak has not shut us down, any issues you are facing are likely an edge case we hadn't considered so always reach out and let us know so we can fix it! On that note, feel free to let Riley and I know in this thread if you're still facing these issues or have any other questions/concerns with this new update.

Back