Rail Pass Rules

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello I'm new to cross country rail travel... I'd like to do it, but the limited segments has me bummed out. Are 8 segments in 15 days realistic? Can segments be added? And segments all have to be planned & reserved ahead of time? Leaves nothing to impulse which is how I like to travel.

Ideally, it would be nice to have the freedom to jump on and off at will... something like a 'wanderer's pass'...

I just finished traveling on a 30 day rail pass.

I traveled 14 segments between 4/11 and 5/4 - 12 segment rail pass adventure including an extra trip to Chicago in that time frame

I had to take a train to Chicago and I did short trips but it can be done.

I plan to travel on a 15 day pass next year just for fun.

Probably the EB to SEA stay overnight for 2.

Take a couple of days off and then an overnight in SAV via the CL and SM.

I'll have to buy tix to CHI for one of those trips

Or I could milk it out and use AGR points or buy all the tix to CHI and take another LD train.

I think this is the right place to ask my question about the USA Rail Pass.

I do understand the rules about what a segment is and the maximum times you can travel city pairs and everything between those on the same line.

However one thing is not clear to me is the amount of days the pass is valid.

I even understand that you can/must use the pass within about half a year after reservation like stated here :

Pass are valid for travel for 180 days and all travel must be completed within 180 days of reserving the pass within the specific pass validity limits.
USA Rail Passes @ Amtrak.com

But the validity limits of days is not explained anywhere, unless i missed it completely. I do not think my lack of english skills as non native english speaker has anything to do with it.

So that is why i ask if anyone here on the board could explain it to me. Maybe someone who already has used such a railpass before.

What is the specific validity Amtrak is talking about?

I.E. when taking a 45 day / 18 segment rail pass would the pass be valid for either :

1) 45 consequent days.. ie starting august 1, 2012 12.00 am until september 15, 2012 11.59pm, or

2) 45 travel days, i.e. whereas you travel on august 1, 2012 a segment, marked as 1 'travel' day, and 5 days later you take another segment which counts for another 'day'.

and finishing your card on lets say the 18th segment on November 1st on 'travel' day 30

another example would be the 'Empire Builder' where you would board on travel day 1,

Seattle, WA, around Spokane, WA travel day 2 would start, Grand Forks, ND travel day 3, arriving Chicago, IL on the 3rd travel day.

Hi,

Given that the USA and UK are often described as "Two countries seperated by a common language" (!!!), my understanding is that from the first day of use, that is the start date of the 15, 30, 45 day pass, and all travel on the pass must finish on the 15th, 30th or 45th day after that, whether you have used up all your "segments" by then, or not... (So it is consecutive days.)

Ed :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
If it is consecutive days, that would really be a bummer :/ I cannot find it on the amtrak pages anywhere though.

Basically you have to cramp all those segments within the maximum allowed days... not very attractive option then!

And yes it was "consecutive" i was looking for, how on earth did i end up writing "consequent" days :blink:

Here in the netherlands we've been thaught the Queens English, but we can understand american-english as well as canadian-english ;)

i found the anwser on my question at AmtrakAgentSupport.com, so caravanman is correct!

it is indeed consecutive days.

Too bad the amtrak page about the pass isn't that clear,

especially since they use the term consecutive days only when talking about the california rail pass, but not on the USA one.

*edit : typo

If it is consecutive days, that would really be a bummer :/ I cannot find it on the amtrak pages anywhere though.

Basically you have to cramp all those segments within the maximum allowed days... not very attractive option then!

And yes it was "consecutive" i was looking for, how on earth did i end up writing "consequent" days
blink.gif

Here in the netherlands we've been thaught the Queens English, but we can understand american-english as well as canadian-english
wink.gif
Here in the U.S. we spell thaught, with one less letter...taught :D

But for the sole purpose of making things still more confusing, there's taut, which has the same pronunciation but has several definitions, non of which are 'have teached' lol.

If you think that's fun, try You're, Your, and Yore. The fun never ends with the English language.

As for Amtrak. It's not good for bouncing around from place to place. Greyhound is a low-class form of travel but it works if you're tough. Megabus is a alternate to Greyhound but has fewer stops. A Road America rental is popular with Europeans, but the fuel is expensive (6-8 miles per gallon) and parking is a hassle. Just renting a car is good and if you're going to stay here a month or more, buying a used car might be the practical choice, then sell it at a used car dealership after your vacation here but be sure to buy that car in a state that allows a month or more after purchase before registration is required, which can be VERY expensive. In other words, you drive on the temporary registration (under $100.00) and sell the car back before the temporary registration expires. So research the length of time the temporary registration is valid. Not all states are the same.

Overall, it's often best and more fun to use all forms of transportation. For instance, there are super cheap "shuttle buses" between cities that are near each other..there's Greyhound for longer trips...Amtrak for a long straight trip, as in across the great plains...rent a car to go to a smaller town, drop it off at the nearest large city, then onto Greyhound for the next adventure. I travel A LOT for work and I research all options for every trip and it's cheaper and more interesting to do it this way.

P.S. the language of Holland, in written form, looks weird to me.

P.S.S. If you're young, you'll love Austin Texas (stay at Drifter Jacks) and everybody is surprised by how much they love Chicago in summer (take walks down Michigan Ave and the lakefront.

P.S.S.S. Staying at Hostiles are fun and super cheap.

I have stayed in HI Hostels in several cities served by Amtrak (Sacramento, Chicago Toronto ON and Vancouver BC). I didn't find any of them to be hostile.

I have been on several 30 day rail passes. The most recent one began and ended at Albany Oregon. The farthest Amtrak station from where we started was Kissemmee Florida.

We spent several days with my dad in Melbourne FL. We spent 24 hours in Albuquerque. We spent 2 days near Barstow with our son and DIL. We spent some time in Yosemite (getting off in Fresno and renting a car).

Here in the U.S. we spell thaught, with one less letter...taught :D

If you think that's fun, try You're, Your, and Yore. The fun never ends with the English language.

P.S. the language of Holland, in written form, looks weird to me.
Whoops yet another typo that slipped trough. Yeah the Brits (and thus so should I) write it the same, without the h, i'll blame that on an automatism ;) Same goes for their, they're etc, etc. Dutch isn't any different in that respect. i.e. "haar" (hers, a single hair, hair, fur, trichome, or even a patch of wooded land (sandy soil) in between lower lands)...
Written and spoken Dutch (the language from the Netherlands [calling the Netherlands, Holland might upset some Dutch not living in Holland.. it's like saying Texas to the whole of USA ;) I don't mind, since i'm actually from Holland :p ] ), has the same roots as English, but in the course of time changed differently. Most rules (grammar) apply to both English and Dutch, albeit the word order can differ a bit. A lot of words are quite the same, due to loanwords, or as mentioned same roots. Photo vs Foto, physiotherapy vs fysiotherapie, I could go on and on..

As for Amtrak. It's not good for bouncing around from place to place. Greyhound is a low-class form of travel but it works if you're tough. Megabus is a alternate to Greyhound but has fewer stops. A Road America rental is popular with Europeans, but the fuel is expensive (6-8 miles per gallon) and parking is a hassle. Just renting a car is good and if you're going to stay here a month or more, buying a used car might be the practical choice, then sell it at a used car dealership after your vacation here but be sure to buy that car in a state that allows a month or more after purchase before registration is required, which can be VERY expensive. In other words, you drive on the temporary registration (under $100.00) and sell the car back before the temporary registration expires. So research the length of time the temporary registration is valid. Not all states are the same.
Hmm don't know the Road America rentals, is that like an RV or something? must be with the same kind of gas usage as a humvee :eek: don't know the current cost of a gallon fuel, but most likely not as insane as here. the average national retail price is currently (april 28,2014) set at 1.823 per liter fuel. Euro to USD rate 1.38339, 1 US Gallon = 3.78541 liter, making 1 gallon of fuel $ 9.545!

I'd rather use Amtrak service from city to city, or long-haul then bus operations like Greyhound or Megabus. Don't get me wrong, I often take a (city or intercity) bus and it's more then okay, but for long distance it's definately not my preffered mode of transportation. I've noticed that around 300 miles (+/- 4/5 hours) is the maximum to endure in a bus ;) i.e. City trip to Paris or something simular. I've had a few trips by bus for over 800/900 miles to sunny beaches in Spain or mountains in France for skiing, but comfort, speed and dense network of trains overhere, makes it a much better option, in my opinion. Looking to places I want to visit in the States, almost 80% to 90% is covered by Amtrak.

I certainly agree with you that a car would be a better option, especially when travelling to parts where there isn't Amtrak service (for me, that would be South Dakota, and parts of Tennessee). However, since i'm currently planning to do this trip on my own, it has to be without cars, simply because I do not have a drivers license. If plans might change and someone with drivers license is comming along, that would definately be the way to go! Plans do change occasionally, as you can see this post originally is from 2012, now 2 years later still no trip :( due to life and taxes :p

Is temporarily car registration open for non US residents? If so, that beats car rental for sure. Now to find someone that will want to travel 90 days like that :eek:

Overall, it's often best and more fun to use all forms of transportation. For instance, there are super cheap "shuttle buses" between cities that are near each other..there's Greyhound for longer trips...Amtrak for a long straight trip, as in across the great plains...rent a car to go to a smaller town, drop it off at the nearest large city, then onto Greyhound for the next adventure. I travel A LOT for work and I research all options for every trip and it's cheaper and more interesting to do it this way.
I totally agree! Planes, trains and automobiles ;) As far as planning goes, I made an itinerary based on several places I want to visit (friends, points of interest, have to see tourist traps, etc) and the Amtrak schedule. There are only a few places I cannot visit by train due to no service, or time constraints. The most important factor to keep in mind is the maximum allowed time on a tourist visa / ESTA, which is 90 days. So a few days city X with local transport, a few days on the train, a few days city Y. Bus to other city, plane to tourist trap in SD, etc.

P.S.S. If you're young, you'll love Austin Texas (stay at Drifter Jacks) and everybody is surprised by how much they love Chicago in summer (take walks down Michigan Ave and the lakefront.
Final construction was buildyear 1977, so I wouldn't qualify myself as "young" anymore, but young at heart :p Austin is on-route between Texarkana and San Antonio, both places are on the schedule, so that certainly might be a nice inbetween! Chicago is definately on the to-do list!

P.S.S.S. Staying at Hostiles are fun and super cheap.
I have stayed in HI Hostels in several cities served by Amtrak (Sacramento, Chicago Toronto ON and Vancouver BC). I didn't find any of them to be hostile
LOL Tom, good one ;) Anyhow, I wouldn't mind hostels, as I don't think you'll find many hostile people there. Only problem I see might be noise. I'm not a light sleeper, but it takes a long while for me to fall asleep, not to mention i'm a night-owl (current time almost 2am ;) , so that might be a problem for the roomies...

With the odd hours of Amtrak coming or going into a city it's a plus if they're near a station, or reachable by public transport / taxi-cab.

I have been on several 30 day rail passes.
How you like them? is it worth the money, how much travel / "traindays" can you actually fit in them, without compromising too much of actual visit time to a city you want to see?

According to the schedule / itinerary I currently have made, and the pricing of sleepers (roomette) and chairs on other (shorter) routes it doesn't differ much. The rail pass times out either while staying in a city, while still having segments, or too less segments to cover in the amount of time.

90 days schedule making is hard if you want too see and do so much, without being a tourist and looking back... " oh this picture was taken on thuesday, so that must have been Chicago! "

Luckily there is such a thing as internet with boards like this, to expand your view, pick a few brains of others who have done the same. Gather all that info, to make a perfect plan!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back