Rail pass - typical reservation costs

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there

I am planning a trip to the USA this June, or September and have considered the following routes, using a 15 day/8 segment pass:-

6 segments -

1. New York to Chicago - Cardinal

2. Chicago to Las Vegas - Californian Zephyr

3. Las Vegas to Los Angeles - Californian Zephyr

4. Los Angeles to New Orleans - Sunset Limited

5. New Orleans to Washington - Crescent

6. Washington to Miami

The pass costs $389 but I need to budget for the reservation fees (if any). I see that most rooms are taken during this period so recognise that I am likely to have to book a coach seat. Any idea on costs, or where I can locate some figures to help complete my budget?

Tried the AmSnag site to try to answer this question but it does not appear to work.

I do not intend to purchase the pass until I can complete my budget.

Per Amtrak's customer service line, the pass covers the bottom three buckets for coach travel. For travel in the top two buckets, you have to pay the difference between that price and the middle bucket. For sleepers, you do have to pay the accommodation charge, which is the same as the charge you'd pay for the room without the pass. (The pass covers your rail fare.)

I was able to secure a rail pass trip with $0 in reservation fees, but I also booked 6 months in advance. You may find that June is pricey indeed, and may want to wait until September. If you call a reservation agent and give them your prospective trains, they can get you a specific price without charging you.

Note that there is no rail service to Las Vegas, Nevada. There is service to Las Vegas, New Mexico, but you will find yourself sadly without showgirls and slots. Las Vegas, NM is also on the Southwest Chief, not the Zephyr. Also, the Zephyr does not stop in Los Angeles. You'd need to change trains in Sacramento or Emeryville, depending on how you want to make your way south through California- or you could take the Southwest Chief direct from Chicago-LA, but you don't get the spectacular scenery out of Denver.

You can take a bus from Los Angeles to Las Vegas, but it's a dead-end on the system. You'd have to take the bus back to LA to get back on a train. Each bus ride would use one segment.

Lastly, be aware that "segment" for a USA Rail Pass doesn't mean "travel from point A to point B." It roughly means "boarding"- every time you get on a train or bus, you use a segment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Note that there is no rail service to Las Vegas, Nevada. There is service to Las Vegas, New Mexico, but you will find yourself sadly without showgirls and slots. Las Vegas, NM is also on the Southwest Chief, not the Zephyr. Also, the Zephyr does not stop in Los Angeles. You'd need to change trains in Sacramento or Emeryville, depending on how you want to make your way south through California- or you could take the Southwest Chief direct from Chicago-LA, but you don't get the spectacular scenery out of Denver.

You can take a bus from Los Angeles to Las Vegas, but it's a dead-end on the system. You'd have to take the bus back to LA to get back on a train. Each bus ride would use one segment.
Amtrak provides connecting Thruway bus service to Las Vegas from the Zephyr, via Salt Lake City.

When coming from Chicago the scheduled arrival to Salt Lake City, UT is 11:05pm, with Thruway service via Greyhound Bus Lines departs for Las Vegas, NV at 8:30am and taking over 7 hours to complete. This doesn't seem to me to be a very desirable option for a trip of this nature.

If you so desire Las Vegas, NV being a "must see" on your trip, you may wish to consider the Southwest Chief in conjunction with the Commuter Services Thruway connections between Kingman, AZ and the Vegas airport.

Also, while you reconsider your Amtrak options, you want make sure your plans account for the Cardinal operating only 3 days of the week.

You should do your trip in reverse so as to take the Cardinal, eastbound. If you take this train westbound you'll risk missing the best part of the that trip. And the Cardinal has some of the best scenary in the Eastern USA.

So this might be my suggested routing.

New York to New Orleans on the Crescent.

New Orleans to LA on the Sunset Limited.

LA to Las Vegas on the Southwest Chief by way of bus connection at Kingman, Arizona.

Vegas to Chicago by way of Kingman again on the Southwest Chief.

Chicago to Washington on the Cardinal.

As others have said there is no direct train service to Las Vegas.

Thanks guys for your assistance. Will take your advice regarding Les Vegas. I can see that the main challenge when using this pass is running out of segments and therefore being unable to continue one's journey without having to pay for a normnal ticket or travelling by another mode of transport. How can I therefore purchase additional segments while on my journey?

Thanks guys for your assistance. Will take your advice regarding Les Vegas. I can see that the main challenge when using this pass is running out of segments and therefore being unable to continue one's journey without having to pay for a normnal ticket or travelling by another mode of transport. How can I therefore purchase additional segments while on my journey?
You can Buy the 30 Day Pass which has 12 Segments, or the 45 Day Pass with 18 Segments, Check out Amtrak.com for Info. You can't Add Segments, you would have to Buy Tickets for each leg and in the Summer they can be hard to come by and Pricey (High Bucket) on lots of the Trains and even Busses!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back