Rail Pass - Upgrade Surcharge Process?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zethya

Train Attendant
How can I view the "Sleeping Car Surcharge" for a USA Rail Pass Segment?
In other words, is the Surcharge the Difference between the listed "Premium" Fare and the "Saver" Fare, or the "Value" Fare, or the "Flexible" Fare, or ?

How can I view the "Sleeping Car Surcharge" for a USA Rail Pass Segment?
In other words, is the Surcharge the Difference between the listed "Premium" Fare and the "Saver" Fare, or the "Value" Fare, or the "Flexible" Fare, or ?
To find the upgrade cost, go to Amtrak.com and price the segment using accommodation type you'd like under the Premium column. Roomette, Bedroom, etc. Add that to your cart.

On the left side you'll see the Itinerary summary. There will be two lines something like this:

1 Adult $121.00

1 Superliner Roomette $348.00

Total $469.00

Your Rail Pass covers the Adult railfare component, so the upgrade cost would be $348 in this example.

^ I thought that's how it worked, but I wasn't sure. So basically the difference between whatever the quoted coach fare for that day is(regardless if it's the lowest priced bucket, or the price tier above it), and the upgrade price shown for the sleeper would be it. Good to see I was right, when it came to understanding this.

It is my understanding that the rail fare attached to the price of a Roomette is always the low bucket Value fare.
Correct. That's why one should add the itinerary to the cart and view the railfare there as the coach fares on the matrix may be for higher buckets.

Does Amsnag return, by default, the sleeper upgrade charge as a separate amount? In other words, I believe when Amsnag says the sleeper is $100, that is the upgrade charge and the rail fare is in addition to it.

Correct, and stated so on AmSnag:

"2 Accommodation charge. For total fare add low bucket coach fare for each passenger to accomodation charge "

Last edited by a moderator:
Back