RailFanning (Amtrak) Ideas in SoCal?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rrdude

Engineer
Seems like I'll leave the not-so-wintry climes of the East Coast, and be out in SoCal (Orange County specifically) doing a couple of shoots with the crew of Bar Rescue for about 10 days. However, I've got some weekend time on my hands, and was looking for ideas to hop on Amtrak. I'm thinking of the Coast Starlight to SBA, (coach, since the PPC are now gone........) then two nights in SBA, and the Pacific Surfliner BC back to OC. Anyone spent much time riding in SoCal? I've been 'tween LAX and San Diego lots, and will likely go again, as it is drop-dead pretty. All suggestions welcome! Thanks.

The Oceanside sections of the route are Surf-Ventura and San Juan Capistrano-Delmar. For railfanning, Los Angeles-Fullerton has the Pacific Surfliner, Southwest Chief, Metrolink, and BNSF. Ventura-Los Angeles would also have a good variety, with the heaviest Metrolink traffic south of Glendale. That would be UP instead of BNSF and the Coast Starlight instead of Southwest Chief. Oceanside may also be interesting with the Pacific Surfliner, Metrolink, and Coaster.

If you could ride the starlight to San Louis Obispo you get some great views of the pacific. If you ride to San Francisco area you also get the ride over Cuesta Pass. I prefer riding on the train than being on the outside taking pictures and of.

a possible circle trip might be Coast Starlight to Emy. Then San Joaquins with bus back to Los Angeles.

What about any good hotels in the SoCal/LAX area that have "railfan" rooms, that is, windows looking at mainlines, yards, and the such? Thanx.

Back