Railroad Maps/Terminology resources

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lamar

Train Attendant
As a relatively new rail fan, I am eager to learn about railroad routings and terminology regarding rail travel. Can anyone recommend any books or online resources to educate a newbie?

Search these forums for the topic, "Railroad 101" and IIRC, George Harris gave up the name of a book that explains the railroads for a novice.

As a relatively new rail fan, I am eager to learn about railroad routings and terminology regarding rail travel. Can anyone recommend any books or online resources to educate a newbie?
If you want to understand Amtrak's route structure, the printed Amtrak timetable is good, and you can get it for free if you're willing to wait a few weeks for it to come in the mail. Call Amtrak, or go to amtrakvacations.com, or (allegedly but I've never figured out where it is) go to amtrak.com to order it. If you call Amtrak, you might also ask for the brochure titled ``Amtrak America'' while you're there.

If you're interested in commuter railroads, they typically have websites that explain their route structure pretty well. If you tell us what cities you might be interested in, we probably could point you in the right direction.

seems like a good topic to ask ive seen in a few topics that u can get wall size route maps where can u get those??
Legitimately, I don't know, but I found where they can be ordered, if you qualify, on the website:

greatamericanstations.org

Explore the site. By clicking on a station in one state I found a link to the marketing materials. The wall-size route maps are on there.

I didn't read the qualifying terms but would suggest that they be read before attempting to order anything. IIRC, a consumer is given a number to call to obtain the same information, but at least the site will give both the consumer phone number and a name for the item you want that can be found quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back