Rails and Roads: My Gastronomic Encounter

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amtrak Cajun

OBS Chief
Hey everyone, Anthony here, and I have quite a report for you. Grab a snack, sit back and enjoy my telling of my trip to New Orleans and back via Amtrak and Greyhound, with a special encounter on Amtrak.

RAILS:

It all started after I read the 2 Joe's Gastronomic Adventure #2. They said they would be heading to New Orleans for a food fest. Well, I did some checking and found that I could ride to New Orleans on the same Friday that they were due to ride through. I booked my ticket online with Amtrak, and I shortly received my shiny E ticket on my phone.

I left my apartment here at 4 pm for the 15 minute bus ride to the bus terminal, which encompasses our city buses, Greyhound, and Amtrak. I arrived at 4:15pm and waited inside, and while waiting I kept track of #2's progress.

I saw the status go from 5:45, to 6pm, to 6:30. then 6:45, then 7pm, and finally 7:06. I knew I had a long wait ahead of me, but knowing who was on board, and the fact that I got to ride Amtrak again, I wouldn't let the delay dampen my spirits. Also, due to the fact that the Double Days promotion had just come out, I signed up for that, and I knew I would be getting 100 points for this ride.

At about 6:45pm, I decided to wait outside since there was a nice breeze blowing, and at 7:06, what should appear but the SL with P-42 142 leading, and P-40 804 *or was it 801* trailing. Regardless, the train was finally here!!! The conductor looked at my phone, but didnt scan it, he just asked me my last name, and said Anthony? I replied in the affirmative, and he welcomed me aboard, and told me to board in the last car. I climbed aboard, sat in the bulkhead seat for a minute, waiting for the seat check. The conductor walked by and smiled and said, you are good to go, no seat checks needed.

I walked into the lounge car, and seated at the very first table to the right were Joe Hess, and Joe G. We chatted for a bit about the delay, when I realized that I was very hungry. They had kindly made a dinner reservation for me, but seeing as how the train was so late, I didnt get the chance to partake in the dinner. I made my way down to the lounge car. I was greeted by the attendant, whose name I cant remember at the moment, as Im still trying to recover from tiredness.. The convo went something like this.

Me: Hi, what kind of subs do you have?

her: *lists subs*

Me: ummm..ok.

Her: *sharply* I dont have time to stand here while you decide what you want!!

Me: *shocked look* ummm ok, then I'll have the Italian sub please thanks.

Her: Cash or Credit?

Me: *hands her debit card*

Her: *sigh* Look, Im going to have the assistant run this up to the diner because our credit scanner isnt working here. I'll keep your card until its ran and have the assistant bring it back to you.

Me: Im sorry, and thats fine.

Her: No need to be sorry, Im just done dealing with this issue for the past two days.

Evidently, she was dealing with this issue for 2 days, and Im sorry, but as far as Im concerned at that point in time, it is your job to "stand there until I decide what I want". I was tired from waiting for the train and I was feeling a bit of fatigue so I wasnt as sharp and alert as normal, and besides, I am a paying customer after all. I realize that she may be tired and frustrated, but you dont need to get snippy with me. I take my sandwich and head back upstairs and rejoin the 2 Joe's. They graciously bought me 2 beers. I offered to give them the cash I had on hand, but they refused. I told them the next time we meet up, I owe them a couple of rounds. Maybe at the Gathering.

We roll on to make our stop at New Iberia, and the 2 Joe's and I are having a fun time in the lounge car. We are making jokes, and discussing The Gathering and such. Well, hilarity is about to ensue, read on to find out how.

We are rolling through the darkness, and I notice that there is a conductor, or some crew member just sitting there glaring at everyone. I ask him if he is ok, and if he is happy to be heading to New Orleans. In retrospect, I shouldnt have said a damn word to him. He starts going on about wars, and mob stuff, and catching criminals in Alabama. I dont know if he was loaded or what, but he just wouldnt shut up! Joe H was like "Man, you really flipped the switch there Ant!". I apologized to the 2 Joe's and they were like, "Its ok, we just wont let you live it down for about.....3 years!" :D

We made our stop at Schriever, and then continued on towards New Orleans. We stopped just off of the H.P.L bridge, There was evidently a freight train parked on the bridge, so we had to wait for them to clear it. We pulled in head first into the station, which I found weird. Im used to backing in to NOL. We arrived at about 10:30pm or so. not too bad. I still had plenty of time to make my connection.

We detrained, and I walked out to the cab area with the 2 Joes, and there we shook hands, said our goodbyes, and they went off to their hotel, I turned around and headed back into the station to wait for my bus.

Roads:

This is the part of the trip that really wore me out. I was waiting for a 12:15am Express bus out of New Orleans. I boarded the bus around 12:05, and we departed shortly thereafter. The ride to Baton Rouge was pretty uneventful. I arrived at Baton Rouge at 2am. I had a 2 hour layover here. The reason that I had to change buses was for the simple fact that certain buses dont stop in Lafayette, namely the Express buses. They go straight from Baton Rouge to Beaumont, TX, and then into Houston. It was the longest 2 hours of my life. Im kinda glad that I had the money in my wallet to get me a danish and a root beer. That held me up.

The bus I was to transfer to was a local schedule originating in Orlando. This bus was also destined for Houston, but making stops at Lafayette, Lake Charles, Port Arthur, Beaumont, and Houston. This driver hauled some serious ass on I-10. He had to slow down on the Atchafalaya basin bridge *all vehicles do*, but once I felt the tires hit the end of the bridge, I felt him floor it to get back up to speed. I was due into Lafayette at 5:20, We arrived in Lafayette, at 5:40am.

I then waited for the city buses to start running at 6:15am, I arrived back at my apartment at 6:30am. I was exhausted. I had breakfast, and then promptly crashed out.

Final thoughts:

I definitely enjoyed the trip on Amtrak. Meeting the two Joe's was a wonderful experience. They are two great guys, We pretty much had a mini Gathering on the train. Thanks for the beers and the fun times Joe H and Joe G, I wont forget it anytime soon. I had an absolute blast. I hope you guys enjoy New Orleans and all it has to offer. I also hope that you guys have a safe rest of the trip.

2. Greyhound did a good job of getting me home safely. Although I will choose to get a hotel next time instead of riding the bus, as the two hour layover in Baton Rouge pretty much killed me.

3. As far as for the cafe attendant, Im gonna let that one slide, seeing as how she was having issues. She really was quite nice. I dont want you guys to get the wrong idea there. I get pretty indecisive when Im tired. The rest of the trip was epic though.

So ends this trip report, and I cant wait for my next adventure, wherever that may lead me.

Thank you all for taking the time to read my novel. :)

:hi: Nice Trip Report!, talk about Dedication just to Ride a Train!! :eek: I just rode the day before between TPL and AUS with the 2 Joes, Amtrak will let anyone Ride! :giggle:

I'm surprised about what a Hassle it was to get from NOL to Lafayette, Greyhound used to be a Major Player out of NOL, especially on IH10- And Lafayette isnt a Burg, Im Surprised they Don't Stop the Express Buses there! :eek:

Glad you enjoyed my trip report.

Well, you can catch an express bus out of here, its just that not ALL of them stop here.

Also Jim, you got mentioned a few times as well :D

You know whats funny, I total'd up my wait time for the buses, and the trips themselves. Check this out.

Wait time in New Orleans between train and bus: 1 hour 30 min.

Trip time from NOL to Baton Rouge: 2 hours

Wait time in Baton Rouge: 2 hours

Ride from Baton Rouge to LFT: 1 hour.

Total wait time. 3:30

Total bus ride time: 3 hours.

I told my mom earlier on the phone that next time I take this trip, Im booking a hotel no matter what, and taking Amtrak both ways. The fatigue of waiting in terminals was a bit much. Also, its hard to sleep on a bus, especially on I-10, its a bit of a rough ride.

In fact, I forgot to add this to my story, my seatmate made the hilarious comment as we were approaching the LFT station, he was like, "Wow, nice roads you have here in Louisiana", I laughed. I told him about how our soil is soft and he was like Yeah, makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back