Rails west in Jun-Jul 23

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willbridge

50+ Year Amtrak Rider
AU Supporting Member
Not meant to confuse anyone, I made a second trip west from Denver to Portland this June/July. The previous April trip was for the memorial service for my father. The June/July trip was booked prior to that, hoping to visit him for one more time. I'll provide a few notes and pictures here.

First, some remarkable facts: no unexpected delays occurred, and the weather was good at all points. Expected delays on Trains 5/6 were within the recent typical range. Recent years have included fires, derailments, floods and slides.

Almost every train had sold-out segments. That resulted in troublesome seating issues and airline-type misbehavior in some cases.

Itinerary for 2023 Summer

Sat 17 Jun 2023 - Dep Denver Union Station @ 0805
ATK 05 - coach - Lower Level confirmed
Sun 18 Jun 2023 - Arr Sacramento @ 1413
-----------------------------------------------------------
In the late afternoon, the new cafe in the Sacramento Station is still open. It will fail if it doesn't stay open for more realistic hours. Enjoy nice food there while you can. Passengers making the Trains 5 > 14 connection banded together to watch luggage while taking turns walking around.

A rare sight:
P1060010.JPG

Sun 18 Jun 2023 - Dep Sacramento @ 2349
ATK 14 - coach - confirmed
Mon 19 Jun 2023 - Arr Portland Union Station @ 1540
===========================================================

Stay with family

Thu 22 Jun 2023 to campus for 55th year reunion.

Lewis & Clark College
615 S Palatine Hill Rd
Portland OR 97219
Sun 25 Jun 2023 - Dep Portland Union Station @ 1200
ATK 504 - coach - confirmed
Sun 25 Jun 2023 - Arr Seattle King Street Stn @ 1525

Olympia Lacey Station volunteer at this outstanding community effort.
P1060018.JPG
Cascades train was the usual post-pandemic Horizon fleet without enough capacity.

Belltown Inn
2301 3rd Avenue
Seattle WA 98121

Was hard to reach due to parade breaking and contradictory traffic policing. Under normal circumstances it has good transit access through downtown for King Street Station. My favorite B&B on Capitol Hill is not in business.
Mon 26 Jun 2023 - Dep Seattle King Street Stn @ 0950
ATK 11 - Lower Level coach confirmed
Mon 26 Jun 2023 - Arr Portland Union Station @ 1350
P1060019.JPG
I was able to retain my seat through the PDX stop. My Seattle extension was a last-minute add-on.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Mon 26 Jun 2023 - Dep Portland Union Station @ 1422
Tue 27 Jun 2023 - Arr Oakland Jack London Square @ 0854

Busy KFS, no Greyhound, no Trailways.
P1060022.JPG

Waterfront Inn
10 Washington Street
Oakland CA 94607

Jack himself:
P1060036.JPG

Was pleased to find my favorite Oakland restaurants still in business in the produce district. Pricier, like everything. Within sight of the Western Pacific station, the Buttercup and the Oakland Grill.

Ferried into SF and hunted for the new subway segment of the T-Line. Typical California Balkanization - - - other's system maps were outdated. Some did show the T-Line extension in half-tone as under construction. People doing passenger counts in BART elevators had never heard of the new subway segment. Luckily, I had a native guide with me, and I knew the surface layout and so we eventually entered the beautiful new world under Chinatown. Everything was up to date, including the bi-lingual Muni customer service rep answering questions in Chinese.

The Murdoch media forget to tell Chinatown that San Francisco is dying. We crowded into one of the many bustling bakeries for tea and pastries. At the other end of the long table an Anglo guy our age looked and talked politics like it was SF 1964 (I was there.). A younger Chinese man listened politely. Outside, Rte 30-Stockton trolleys pushed through busy intersections, as they had in my father's young days visiting.

A new world beneath central SF:
P1060027.JPG

P1060028.JPG
Next day we rode the ferry to Vallejo for brunch and an hour each way of waves and spray. Vallejo is a blue-collar shipyard town struggling to find new purposes. The 9:50 a.m. trip from the SF Ferry Building had about a half-dozen passengers. We spoke with a medical student who gets a lot of studying done on her reverse commute from SF.

We joined a handful of visitors to the Naval & Historical Museum. Mare Island, adjacent to Vallejo, was the first U.S. Naval base on the Pacific. It still does some contract work for the Navy.

Someone should tell Vallejo's Momo's Cafe that waffle batter, not pancake batter, is needed for their generous offering. The place was busy, however.

P1060029.JPG

Peak direction ridership is stronger. The onboard bar is open in the afternoon.
P1060031.JPG

And then home. Between Reno and Salt Lake City I shared seats with a fellow Army veteran of the same era as mine. I did have breakfast in the dining car on Train 6 and enjoyed the omelet and conversation. Yes, I shaved first and threw some water on my sleepy coach face. For a change, I tipped the coach attendant, who did everything right. Sad that is unusual.
Sun 2 Jul 2023 - Dep Oakland Jack London Square @ 0736
ATK 710 - coach confirmed
Sun 2 Jul 2023 - Arr Emeryville @ 0744
Sun 2 Jul 2023 - Dep Emeryville @ 0910
ATK 06 - Lower Level coach confirmned
Mon 3 Jul 2023 - Arr Denver Union Station @ 1838

Last edited:
Mon 26 Jun 2023 - Dep Portland Union Station @ 1422
Tue 27 Jun 2023 - Arr Oakland Jack London Square @ 0854

Ah, too bad we didn't have a chance to meet! I could have maybe done the Albany-Eugene segment!
Ferried into SF and hunted for the new subway segment of the T-Line. Typical California Balkanization - - - other's system maps were outdated. Some did show the T-Line extension in half-tone as under construction. People doing passenger counts in BART elevators had never heard of the new subway segment. Luckily, I had a native guide with me, and I knew the surface layout and so we eventually entered the beautiful new world under Chinatown. Everything was up to date, including the bi-lingual Muni customer service rep answering questions in Chinese.
I noticed the same disjunction when I was in the area in March, at Balboa Park, there was really no sense that the BART and MUNI were connected, they were just two lines that happened to be in the same area, like two cats staring at each other across a hallway.

The Murdoch media forget to tell Chinatown that San Francisco is dying. We crowded into one of the many bustling bakeries for tea and pastries.

I also am a little confused how San Francisco dying/being in a doom loop can be repeated as so much of a truism when it takes about 5 minutes on the ground in San Francisco to confirm that yes, there are people and businesses. It certainly has its problem right now, but the disconnection between the narrative of San Francisco and the obvious evidence on the ground is pretty jarring.

Back