Railtown 1897 - A simple day trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobnjulie

Lead Service Attendant
I know a lot of folks are fans of the California State Railroad Museum. The last time we were there, they mentioned their sister museum... Railtown 1897. It is a gem.

It took us about 3 hours from our coastal town to drive up there. They offer a train ride - about an hour going up on the Sierra Railway and back. Our train was pulled by a steam engine - the #3 - aka - The Cannonball - from Petticoat Junction. A nice ride.

Our favorite part was a tour of a working roundhouse. I believe they said it is one of last working roundhouses open to the public - but I couldn't really pay close attention since it was really cool in there so don't quote me :)

They had an unusual steam engine, a steam engine that had all the important working parts labeled. My favorite was a steam engine that was awaiting restoration - completely fascination to see what was underneath!

My husband's favorite part of the tour was the machine shop with all the pulleys overhead - where the grease monkeys would work. Really incredible.

They also had some movie memorabilia since a lot of movies were shot there and in the area.

We also took a 15 minute side trip through the town of Sonora to Columbia Historic State Park. This is a working town from the Gold Rush days. It was also very interesting.

Here are a link to some pictures.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/97163322@N02/sets/72157647041040191/

I will be at the CSRM in late October for my annual "fix" at their extra-special exhibit of steel wheels on steel rails. I have been a member for several years and

up until this one, used to squeeze in two trips per year - California Zephyr with a trip home by air (ugh).

Now that you have mentioned it, I am perplexed as to why I haven't taken that excursion to Railtown! Damn. Must be a senior moment (again).

Anyway, appreciate the info and link . . .

Railtown is pretty cool, indeed. I've stopped in there for a trip or two several times, as I spent about two and a half years of my life in that area while attending school at Columbia College.

Nice shot of Papeete, the end-to-end hand pump fire engine, at Columbia State park. I was a volunteer firefighter for Columbia Fire Protection District during my stay in the area and had the privilege of pumping on that engine during our annual Fire Muster every May.

Lots of rail history in that whole area. Logging railroads reigned king, but so did mining railroads. The Sierra Railroad is still a functioning short-line railroad servicing the Sierra Pacific sawmill just east of Sonora in Standard, Ca.

Kind of depressing seeing Parrots Ferry bridge so fully, which means that New Melonies Reservoir is nearly empty.

Back