Random Questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

P40Power

OBS Chief
1) Are some trains still "Run-Thru" at Chicago like the City of New Orleans-Empire Builder and the Capital Limited-Southwest Chief? Gunn was looking to get rid of this set up and I agree with his thinking.

2) Does the Cresent run a local coach NYP-ATL that gets set off at ATL still?

3) How many sleepers does the Silver Star and Meteor generally run with? Two or three?

4) Sometime in the mid 90s, was ALL food service cut from Northeast Direct trains? I remember reading in a 96-97 Northeast timetable "Due to customer demand, food service has been restored to Northeast Direct trains"?

5)Would anyone happen to know if F40PH #332 is still around or if its cut up?

6) Whats the speed limit on the Northeast Corridor just north of Balitmores North B&P tunnels? On Train Simulator its 30 and 45 for a while and this seems AWFULY slow for the corridor on relitively straight track! (The speed limit in the tunnels is higher!!)

Thanks alot!

1) The Capitol Limited #29 becomes the Southwest Chief #3 the same day. The Southwest Chief #4 becomes #30 the same day (pending #4 is on-time, if not #8 or #6 will become #30). The Texas Eagle and City of New Orleans share the same equipment and each become each others same day train.

2) Last I knew it was not running a local coach, but just a NYP-ATL baggage car.

3) Sivler Meteor runs with 3 Sleeping Cars.

4) Couldn't tell ya.

5) According to a recent F-40 roster on Trainorders, #332 was not to be seen at Beech Grove and was not leased to another railroad. It could, however, be elsewhere on Amtrak property.

6) I think it is because the track in that area is so poorly mantained (wooden ties) and is through some pretty high-density areas. These are the stretches of track Gunn is trying to speed up on the Corridor.

3) Silver Star runs with 3 Sleepers in the Winter, 2 in the summer. In the Summer, I think the 3rd sleeper goes to the Lake Shore Limited. As Amfleet said the Silver Meteor started running with 3 year round about 1 or 2 years ago.

Curious about the Northeast Direct Thing as well, bad enough to have Keystone trains without food service, let alone NEC Trains. <_<

Amfleet said:
1) The Capitol Limited #29 becomes the Southwest Chief #3 the same day. The Southwest Chief #4 becomes #30 the same day (pending #4 is on-time, if not #8 or #6 will become #30). The Texas Eagle and City of New Orleans share the same equipment and each become each others same day train.
Wow, they get the Capitol Limited ready in two hours? (westbound)

Oh so the Texas and the City now share equipment. That does make sense now that both of their consists have been cut down quite a bit, I mean now they got passengers riding in the transition dorm (though I recall that half of the transition car was intended for revenue use). A few years ago I remember the Empire Builder being run-thru with the City. I was just wondering about 332 because its my favorite F40PH because I have a beautiful Spectrum model of it (gotta love those flashing strobe lights on the layout at night!!). 332 is out of service on my railroad right now because it needs a new front truck but it should be back in service soon! Anyways that slow running north of baltimore really bugs me on Train Simulator and I can imagine it does the same to crews and passengers in real life! It just seems to go on FOREVER on the game until a stretch of 90 or so comes up. I remember back in 96 or 97 reading that Amtrak leased a VRE commuter coach to handle local service between WAS and ATL, man imagine riding that far in a commuter coach <_< , ha Id imagine it would be alot like riding in a Horizon car!

All train types (except for mail and freight trains) operate at 30 MPH through the B&P tunnels according to the Northeast Corridor Employee timetable (effective 4/29/01).

Well as I thought, the train simulator is inaccurate in that area. In both sets of tunnels in the game 110MPH is allowed! Also, to be realistic as well, only one train at a time could pass through the tunnels. Alot of time when I have AI services going, there are meets in the tunnels.

P40Power said:
Well as I thought, the train simulator is inaccurate in that area. In both sets of tunnels in the game 110MPH is allowed! Also, to be realistic as well, only one train at a time could pass through the tunnels. Alot of time when I have AI services going, there are meets in the tunnels.
P-40 Power,

If you go to www.train-sim.com, you can sign up for a free account and download a newer version of the Northeast Corridor. It is called NEC4 I believe. Much better than the one Micorosoft did and the speeds are much more prototypical. Check out some of the other Amtrak stuff too.

As for the Eagle and the City, I beleive they got the one Sleeper back since the Builder is now going solo with its own equipment.

Amfleet said:
P40Power said:
Well as I thought, the train simulator is inaccurate in that area.  In both sets of tunnels in the game 110MPH is allowed!  Also, to be realistic as well, only one train at a time could pass through the tunnels.  Alot of time when I have AI services going, there are meets in the tunnels.
P-40 Power,

If you go to www.train-sim.com, you can sign up for a free account and download a newer version of the Northeast Corridor. It is called NEC4 I believe. Much better than the one Micorosoft did and the speeds are much more prototypical. Check out some of the other Amtrak stuff too.

As for the Eagle and the City, I beleive they got the one Sleeper back since the Builder is now going solo with its own equipment.
Thanks I will check that out. :)

I have not seen any NYC-ATl coach or sleeper in several years unless perhaps at peak holiday times.

It is easy for me to observe that, since any NY-ATL equipment can be spotted from MARTA during the day as it sits in the the yards, away from the station. If I am on MARTA between those specific stations on Saturday or Sunday I always watch for any set out equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back