Rare Buckingham Branch Detour a Possibility Today

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rafi

Conductor
Baltimore, MD (primary); Culpeper, VA; Washington,
Just a heads-up for anyone who's in the area, a disruption on the RF&P north of FBG may force a(nother-last was 5 years or so ago) detour of some RVR-WAS trains over the former C&O (now CSX-leased-to-Buckingham Branch) from Doswell (north of Ashland) to Gordonsville (between Culpeper and Charlottesville on the Cardinal route). After the last detour, folks at Amtrak vowed to never run this line again due to the track condition on the old C&O. BB was also not keen on it as it held their railroad up. In this case, it sounds like they may have no choice. From Gordonsville, the train(s) head north on the route of the Cardinal to Orange, where it joins the NS to head to Alexandria.

I would give my right arm to chase this move, but I can't. If anyone shoots pics, I'd love to see them. I'll post more on timings/direction as I hear it.

Rafi

Last edited by a moderator:
I rode the cresent last week along with the Cardinal. This line seqment was the the only part I missed riding on to do the entire Cardinal route from Chicago to New York Penn.

I rode the cresent last week along with the Cardinal. This line seqment was the the only part I missed riding on to do the entire Cardinal route from Chicago to New York Penn.
If I'm not mistaken, the Cardinal is the only train still using this segment between Orange and Gordonsville..... been pretty quiet out there since CSX got the RF&P and didn't need the old C&O trackage rights over the Southern to reach Washington.

If I'm not mistaken, the Cardinal is the only train still using this segment between Orange and Gordonsville..... been pretty quiet out there since CSX got the RF&P and didn't need the old C&O trackage rights over the Southern to reach Washington.
With the RF&P getting progressively congested with passenger, they might yet reconsider in a few years perhaps with a bit of incentive from the state and the feds to reinstate some of the traffic via Gordonsville.

Might be related.

There are substantial delays on Amtrak service between D.C. and Richmond because of a fatal accident on the tracks in Hanover County.

A CSX worker died after being hit by a freight train, Hanover County authorities say.

Most of the trains are running an hour or two behind because trains in both directions were diverted to longer routes.

The Auto Train out of Lorton is also delayed until the tracks are clear.

D.C. Amtrak spokeswoman Tracy Connell says some passengers had to switch to buses for a portion of their trip.

One train had to let passengers off in Fredericksburg and bus them to Richmond delaying their arrival by five hours.

Trains running between Miami and New York were routed around the accident scene.

Sheriff's Capt. Michael Trice says the incident was reported at 10:19 a.m. Thursday. An investigation was under way, and the victim's name was not immediately released.

Folks,

I took a gamble and dove headlong into today's drama in Virginia on a wing and a prayer. I rode 91 south to rvr via the rare buckingham branch sub, and barely (and I mean BARELY) made a special connection to a combined (and very late) 80/90. Were waiting to depart rvr now. A full trip report (with pictures) will be posted to my blog (see my sig) and to the forum. have I got a tale for you.

Rafi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back