raton pass route

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That section used to be the main Santa Fe main line, but now the BNSF trans-con runs thru Amarillo, TX. So BNSF technically abandoned that portion, as the only train running on it is the SWC. There was a dispute that it would not be maintained any longer, but an agreement was reached.
I'm probably the only person on this forum who wishes Amtrak would run the SWC through Amarillo. But, watching the constant string of BNSF freights rounding the curve thru Canyon, I can only imagine the amount of time Amtrak wold be sitting on the siding, waiting for yet another freight to go barreling through!
Are you kidding? I have been pro transcon for many years now! Glad to have you on board here!

That section used to be the main Santa Fe main line, but now the BNSF trans-con runs thru Amarillo, TX. So BNSF technically abandoned that portion, as the only train running on it is the SWC. There was a dispute that it would not be maintained any longer, but an agreement was reached.
I'm probably the only person on this forum who wishes Amtrak would run the SWC through Amarillo. But, watching the constant string of BNSF freights rounding the curve thru Canyon, I can only imagine the amount of time Amtrak wold be sitting on the siding, waiting for yet another freight to go barreling through!
Are you kidding? I have been pro transcon for many years now! Glad to have you on board here!
What's going to happen to ABQ if the SWC runs on the transcon?

The train would come in through Belen then up into ABQ. It would have to back in or back out to the only small wye located just south of the yard, but it's an industrial spur. No telling if the owners would be willing to let Amtrak back in and out. Of course, lots of $$$ to upgrade the rails, ties & frogs there to be safe for people may make their mind up, but it's not in great shape. IIRC, located near a bunch of gas tanks.

As mentioned before, Abo Canyon near Belen is a very tense political hot spot.

It's an incredible railfanning area because of all the passing traffic, though there aren't a lot of real good places to watch (The most scenic are now quite strictly off limits).

Update - looks like Abo Canyon is almost DONE getting their 2nd track. Grading and bridges should be done, and all they have left to do is the track and electronics.

By the way. For all those who are curious about the ownership status of the Raton Pass route. NMDOT has put out documents in preparation of their state rail plan showing that they ARE the owners of the line north to Trinidad. All BNSF has is trackage rights now. A link to the powerpoint: Track ownership in NM (page 5).

The 'Transcon' is double track and there are not many three track(sidings)sections so Amtrak would not be sitting on any sidings. It might find itself sandwiched in between two stack trains or trailer trains. But those trains are quite fast. Once Abo Canyon is finished this summer there is only the large fill over the UP through Vaughn,NM that is still single track and it's only a short section.

The 'Transcon' is double track and there are not many three track(sidings)sections so Amtrak would not be sitting on any sidings. It might find itself sandwiched in between two stack trains or trailer trains. But those trains are quite fast. Once Abo Canyon is finished this summer there is only the large fill over the UP through Vaughn,NM that is still single track and it's only a short section.
And Pecos River bridge.

And Pecos River bridge.
At Fort Sumner, NM. You are correct, I thought they had finished that one but I guess not. It is also quite short, but both are potential bottle necks when you have 100 trains a day passing through.

By the way. For all those who are curious about the ownership status of the Raton Pass route. NMDOT has put out documents in preparation of their state rail plan showing that they ARE the owners of the line north to Trinidad. All BNSF has is trackage rights now. A link to the powerpoint: Track ownership in NM (page 5).
While they may have claimed that trackage in this presentation, I would not take it as final proof that the deal has been completed. It may have, I just have not heard anything about NM actually paying for it. This could just reflect what they have committed to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back