ready to book chi to reno

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tahoejeff

Train Attendant
i haven't been on amtrak in over 10 years. this weekend, i'm going to book a january ski trip on the zephyr, from chicago to reno. it's looking like there won't be any valid discounts for january (the codes mentioned on this forum seem to expire at the end of the year). any other way to reduce my fare? i don't have AAA.

i remember there were a few plug outlets in the coach cars. are they in the same place on each coach? i don't want to have to search for one during the hectic boarding process, but i would prefer a seat with an outlet for a battery charger.

is there still no way to reserve specific seats in a car like on an airplane? i'm always paranoid that i won't be able to find two seats next to each other. a 43 hour ride separated from my wife would suck. the one train where we were not able to sit by each other, the car attendant eventually found a way to seat us together.

i see each passenger is allowed 2 carryons. has there been any storage added by each seat, like in a plane, or is the only storage under your seat? is there still storage available for a small suitcase at the bottom of the steps?

i plan to bring my scanner. what are the frequencies i can expect to hear the crew on?

is the reno train station fully functional now? i know they were putting the tracks in a trench over the last year or two.

i'll probably come up with more questions, but that's enough for now.

you won't have access to an at-seat electrical outlet, I guarantee that. You may be able to use one of the two open plugs in the observation/lounge car, but must monitor your electrical items, and cords cannot extend across aisles. That's also the place you'll likely be using your scanner, even with the required headphones or earpieces, as reception is subject to a great deal of interference in the coaches.

Starting from Chicago, you're certain to be seated next to your wife, so that won't be an issue. And there is plenty of onboard luggage storage space, in addition to the checked luggage car for anything you don't need to access during the trip.

When I was married, 43 hours sitting away from my wife would have been heaven! :lol: I have found with the luggage area in the lower level of coach to be sufficient with the luggage I bring. Pack the stuff you will need on the top of the carryon luggage though. Sometimes its hard to "rummage" while the train is moving at a high speed. Also, take some odd colored electrical tape or anything and mark you bag with it. When you go down to find your luggage, it can get moved around a little with other passengers boarding and de-training....and since all luggage is black....well....you get the picture! :) I travel "lite", when I went from LNK to EMY (San Fran) I only packed a carryon along with a small bag that carried my camera etc. That smaller bag is always kept in the luggage area above the seat in coach. I have also kept my carryon above the seat in coach on one trip as well. Personally, I like keeping that piece of luggage in the lower level since there's undies etc packed in it and there's a little more privacy in the lower level when you need to access it.

thanks TA. i thought i had remembered a few outlets in coach seating.

quote: the luggage area above the seat in coach.

so there IS storage above the seats...i just can't remember. i've looked all over the amtrak site, but can't find a picture from inside a coach car.

thanks TA. i thought i had remembered a few outlets in coach seating.quote: the luggage area above the seat in coach.

so there IS storage above the seats...i just can't remember. i've looked all over the amtrak site, but can't find a picture from inside a coach car.
ok, so i forgot to log in. i'm new here.

Yes, its similar to that on a bus or airplane, except its quite a bit taller and deeper, and is 'open' in that there aren't doors you have to worry about getting shut. Most small-to-medium sized suitcases will fit up there with no problem.

Jeff,

Welcome
ciao.gif

There is still no pre-assigned seating on Amtrak. You may however find that the attendant assigns you a seat prior to boarding out of Chicago.

As for codes, Amtrak hasn't released discount codes that are valid for next year and probably won't till very late December or early January. And you must consider that as the train sells out, prices will rise. For example if you're looking at $100 per seat one way right now, by the time we get to January the price could easily climb to $150 or even higher if you are traveling on a busy day. So waiting for a discount code could cost you as even with a 25% code (the maximum that Amtrak ever offers), that $150 ticket would still cost $112.50.

Granted it's always a gamble as to how many price bucket levels the prices will rise, but I'm not sure that I'd want to take that gamble.

Next, since you mentioned a ski trip, make sure that your carry-on's don't exceed the maximum weight and size restrictions that Amtrak has implimented. You can find those restrictions by clicking here. If you need more stuff than you can fit into those bags, then you will have to check some bags.

And yes, as noted by others, there is a luggage rack on the lower level for bigger suitcase, another rack above your head, and you can always stow a small bag under the seat in front of you.

The Reno station is now fully operational.

Finally you can find the needed frequencies for your scanner here courtesy of On Track On Line. They are arranged by route with landmarks to help you know when to change frequencies.

I have had NO problem with operating a scanner anywhere in the train, single-level or superliners (yes, use an earpiece). You will hear the engineer and the conductors just fine from anywhere in the train. You can usually hear the dispatcher, and you will probably hear other trains that are close by. You may indeed get better, longer-range reception in the observation/lounge because it's a little less shielded, but you WILL be able hear the stuff concerning your train from your coach seat. GPS reception is also a little better in the obs/lounge car, same reason, but GPS WILL work from a coach seat if held up to the window and not in heavy, tall forest (and of course it works MUCH better from the upper level than the lower. If in the clear, it may work ok sitting on the tray table of the window seat, as close to the window as possible. Even there, though, it may lose lock occasionally if the train makes a radical change in direction, as the GPS will need to acquire and lock to different satellites and re-compute all the math. I always take my scanner and GPS with me on the train and have been in ham radio since the mid-60s. I have taken several different hand-held scanners and several ham radio hand-helds (which also cover the rail frequencies) on various trains. Never had any "interference" problems in coach or anywhere else, with the possible exception of what's called "intermod" going through the center of large cities. That is caused by exceedingly strong paging and police/taxi/fire repeater transmitters very close to the path of the train, and will happen to your scanner in coach, or anywhere else, including in a private vehicle on the downtown roads, or on a bus, or walking through downtown. If you are having other "interference" problems in coach I think it's time for a new scanner.

p.s. - don't forget spare batteries (and a charger for rechargeable batteries).

GPS reception is also a little better in the obs/lounge car, same reason, but GPS WILL work from a coach seat if held up to the window and not in heavy, tall forest (and of course it works MUCH better from the upper level than the lower. If in the clear, it may work ok sitting on the tray table of the window seat, as close to the window as possible. Even there, though, it may lose lock occasionally if the train makes a radical change in direction, as the GPS will need to acquire and lock to different satellites and re-compute all the math. I always take my scanner and GPS with me on the train and have been in ham radio since the mid-60s.
I'm curious. Although GPS seems like a neat gadget, how does it help you. Don't employee timetables (or old public ones) and Mileposts give you the location?

I rarely have an accurate route MP listing. And nothing on a piece of paper will tell you how fast you are currently traveling or exactly how far you are from a particular point. If you have traveled along a route at least once and saved a number of specific locations in the GPS, you can check on the GPS to see how far it is to or from one of those spots and have a real good idea of where you are. Without listening on the scanner for the next signal location, which you may or may not recognize anyway.

I rarely have an accurate route MP listing. And nothing on a piece of paper will tell you how fast you are currently traveling or exactly how far you are from a particular point. If you have traveled along a route at least once and saved a number of specific locations in the GPS, you can check on the GPS to see how far it is to or from one of those spots and have a real good idea of where you are. Without listening on the scanner for the next signal location, which you may or may not recognize anyway.

Thanks - Sounds like something I have to have - after a digital SLR

quote: Thanks - Sounds like something I have to have - after a digital SLR

thanks everyone for the helpful advice. i do plan to bring my gps also, but might have to look for a new one, as my etrex legend has been acting up.

regarding the digital SLR, i am bringing my Canon digital rebel 300d, in a backpack type camera back with tripod. is theft much of a problem in coach? will i have to lug this around the train with me wherever i go?

it seems like it was a different world when i last rode amtrak in late 80's-early 90's.

regarding baggage, i've decided to leave my skis and boots at home this time, and pay for rentals. too much trouble lugging them around the chicago train station.

quote: Thanks - Sounds like something I have to have - after a digital SLR
thanks everyone for the helpful advice. i do plan to bring my gps also, but might have to look for a new one, as my etrex legend has been acting up.

regarding the digital SLR, i am bringing my Canon digital rebel 300d, in a backpack type camera back with tripod. is theft much of a problem in coach? will i have to lug this around the train with me wherever i go?

it seems like it was a different world when i last rode amtrak in late 80's-early 90's.

regarding baggage, i've decided to leave my skis and boots at home this time, and pay for rentals. too much trouble lugging them around the chicago train station.
That's a really nice camera! I have Canon Rebel (not 300d) and I'm pleased with it due to its functions such as shutter speed, interchangeable lens, etc.

Don't let the camera and/or tripod exposed to everyone most of the time. Try to "hide" in overhead luggage rack or under the seat with other stuff such as jacket, etc when you're out of seat. I'm concerning with the tripod and I would recommend to put it in large suitcase during the journey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back