Red Cap vs. Kindergarten Walk LAX and CHI

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottC4746

OBS Chief
We are going on SWC4 connecting to CZ5 in June. My DDP has finally agreed to do two overnight train trips, I think to shut me up. I've been reading about Red Caps. We are both able bodied people me late 40's other at 40 and will have nothing more than a roller bag that fits in an overhead space on a airplane.

Some people say every one able bodied or not is able to use the red cap service. We will be in a sleeper in both segments. What is the benefit of a Red Cap vs. the benefit of Kindergarten Walk at each station?

Are you going via sleeper?

If so, personally I prefer the walk. I am able bodied and I like having a little walk before being on the train for so long. I don't mind the walk and not being first on the train in a sleeper because my space (ie, room) is already reserved for me. I don't have to worry about a good or a bad seat like I do while traveling on the NEC.

The K/W is cheaper---Red Caps expect a tip.

I don't know about CHI, but in LAUS, the lone Red Cap and his cart had to make 4-5 trips from the TRAXX Lounge (we were boarding the CS) just to get the sleeper pax trackside. I believe there is another Red Cap at the Coach boarding area, They will give priority to the disabled but it's open for everyone. We could have walked it faster (not required that sleeper pax do the K/W as your ticket/res already has your car#/Room#) but even after checking 3 bags we had mucho carry-ons.. Plus the fact that the LAUS tunnel is below grade so one has a long ramp to climb to reach trackside. Again, it would be no problem for an able-bodied person, It's your choice..

I am able-bodied and walk. I have used red-caps in certain circumstances when not in a sleeper.

I concur. Its a long walk. Iam somewhat disabled and use red caps always. No hassle with bags ect. $ 5.00 is worth it.

After reading other posts on this thread and seeing that they have one Red Cap for the train, I am thinking I should do the Kindergarten Walk rather than Red Cap it and save the Red Cap for those that truely need it.

Agreed. I'd feel weird using a Red Cap since I'm perfectly capable of walking to the train, even when I have a suitcase, backpack, and purse. Chicago is a bit of a walk, but I've never thought of it as far.

I suppose I'll change my tune once I'm older (unless I'm one of those little, old ladies who is super-spry and knocks people out of the way with her cane), but for now, I'd feel pretty guilty since I don't need to use the service.

Gosh! There is hardly a train in this country which is longer than 12 cars, and people have difficulty walking even the length of such relatively short trains? I agree that someone who is physically disabled would need help. But any able bodied person should be able to walk 12 cars worth plus some from the door to the first car. What is happening to us if we cannot even do that?

Having a mobility issue and walking with a cane, I find that the red cap is the only way I can get to and from the stations. I wish there were other stations that had them. The walk the length of the train to board coach no matter what station can be a very painful experience. Believe me, if I could physically walk the distance from the station to my seat, I would.

Having a mobility issue and walking with a cane, I find that the red cap is the only way I can get to and from the stations. I wish there were other stations that had them. The walk the length of the train to board coach no matter what station can be a very painful experience. Believe me, if I could physically walk the distance from the station to my seat, I would.
Do stations have a wheelchair they could use to help you so you wouldn't have to walk? I'm honestly curious, since I don't really take notice when I board in Kalamazoo (which does not have Red Caps).

Do stations have a wheelchair they could use to help you so you wouldn't have to walk? I'm honestly curious, since I don't really take notice when I board in Kalamazoo (which does not have Red Caps).
Actually I am not sure, I just assumed that with no red cap, that I had to walk it. I will check that out though, thanks for the idea.

venture dealy departed partner aka the stiff/the corpse/

u takeing your beloved on one last train ride in a roomette

before she boards that great amtrak train in the sky :hi: :giggle: :giggle: :giggle: :giggle:

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back