Refunds Question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SharonLPK

Service Attendant
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't tickets 100% refundable (meaning, money back, not credit) if reservations are cancelled before tickets have been printed/issued? Our station has no ticket machines, which means that the tickets are printed and mailed out, so we kind of have no control on when our tickets would be printed -- it wouldn't be more than 2 weeks before, would it?

We are contemplating taking the train for an event near the end of July, vs. driving or flying. I would like to make reservations now to get [hopefully] lower-bucket fares. But, lots of factors will ultimately decide if all of us are travelling, which is why there might be a cancellation or 2.

I suppose the worst case scenario is 100% credit, how long is the credit good for?

Thanks in advance :)

There is really know way to know just when Amtrak will print and mail the ticket. It could be done two weeks before departure, but it could also be done long before that. It really a gamble.

The voucher is good for one year from date of issue. However, if it looks like you're not going to use it within that one year's time, you can mail it back to Amtrak prior to its expiration date, and Amtrak will reissue a new voucher good for yet another year. But don't let it expire, you must mail it back prior to expiration and I would highly recommend mailing it certified mail, return receipt requested.

My understanding is that tickets are printed within a week or so of ordering. I just ordered some tickets for the gathering in October, and Amtrak had them to me about a week and a half after they were ordered. However, I believe the way around this is that you can call Amtrak and speak with an agent and tell them you'd like to pick up the tickets at some other station. Then, as long as you're going to be at a station that's staffed (or has a Quiktrak) between now and the date of departure, you can just pick them up then and have the ability to cancel for a full refund until that time. I'm not sure if you can also just call them back like a month before and have them mail the tickets at that time. I've never heard of anyone doing that, but I can't see why it wouldn't be possible.

No, there is no set rule beyond that Amtrak will mail the ticket at least two weeks before departure. Superliner Diner once took a trip that had him gone for almost two weeks. The trip was booked on several different reservations. For one of the last legs of his trip, Amtrak mailed the ticket out to him the day before he was to leave home. If that had been his only trip, things would have been just fine. But since he was leaving almost two weeks before that travel date, those tickets arrived at his home after he was already gone.

And I've never heard of Amtrak holding them until you call them up and ask for them to be mailed. I suppose that if you booked things by telling Amtrak that you would pick up the tickets, but then called up and changed your mind that they might mail them out to you. But I also suspect that they would then charge you the $12 fee to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back