Regional Service NY - Washington DC

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

opaque

Train Attendant
I've just taken a look at the Amtrak pages for the regional service for Boston - Springfield/Providence - New York - Washington, DC - Newport News. And it says this:

'The trains that run the Regional line have been redesigned to make your onboard experience the best ever. You'll find comfortable seating with electrical outlets for your laptop computer and extra storage space for your luggage. Cafe Cars offer appetizing sandwiches, snacks and beverages.'

Can someone tell me the difference in the trains/service between the regional and the Acela service. I know it's a bit slower which is fine but just got to wondering what the other differences are.

I've just taken a look at the Amtrak pages for the regional service for Boston - Springfield/Providence - New York - Washington, DC - Newport News. And it says this:
Can someone tell me the difference in the trains/service between the regional and the Acela service. I know it's a bit slower which is fine but just got to wondering what the other differences are.
Well first of all, the Acela is much more expensive. I'm relatively sure that the seats both in Business and First class are a bit mroe comfortable than the equivalents on the Regional, and the windows are of course larger on Acela. However, most consider the Regional's cafe car car that features regular tables to be much nicer than the Acela's "bistro" with small stools and tables.

'The trains that run the Regional line have been redesigned to make your onboard experience the best ever. You'll find comfortable seating with electrical outlets for your laptop computer and extra storage space for your luggage. Cafe Cars offer appetizing sandwiches, snacks and beverages.'
Actually, this isn't entirely accurate. If you travel in BC on a Regional, you are sure to have electrical outlets, but AFAIK, only about 40% of the coaches are refurbished with electrical outlets.

Other differences include a different menu in the cafe on Acela, Acela's First Class car, food cart service on Acela in Business Class on certain trains, the special waiting area for Acela Business Class passengers in NYP, smoother ride thanks to the tilt, newer seats, tables at some seats on Acela, and more AGR points when riding Acela between selected city pairs.

The other item of note is the Acela trains were built in the last decade while the regionals probably 20+ years ago. Acela is business, you'll rarely find passengers under 21 riding the Acela while regionals will be people who are less pressed for an on time arrival or need shorter travel times.

The Acela's are brightly lit and resemble an airline interior although they have far larger seats and leg room than coach airlines do.

Mike

Actually, this isn't entirely accurate. If you travel in BC on a Regional, you are sure to have electrical outlets, but AFAIK, only about 40% of the coaches are refurbished with electrical outlets.
My first thought here was "wow, I think I've had an outlet at least 75% of the time on the NEC, am I beating the odds that much?!".

My second thought was "wait, southbound PHL to WAS I almost always take the Carolinian instead of a Regional--is that affecting the odds?".

Does the Carolinian have dedicated trainsets of refurbished coaches which don't intermingle with the NEC Regional pool? Or have I just been extremely lucky?

I know in riding the Crescent it's hit-or-miss about getting a refurbished coach, and I'd say 40% is close to my experience there.

The Acela's are brightly lit and resemble an airline interior although they have far larger seats and leg room than coach airlines do.
I heard that the Acela trains are the same bodies as the Eurostar trains we have over here.

I was assuming that they'd be older and slower but they still sound good. All I need is a decent seat for 3 and a half hours, whether I can use my laptop or not isn't so important.

Thanks for the replies.

My first thought here was "wow, I think I've had an outlet at least 75% of the time on the NEC, am I beating the odds that much?!".

My second thought was "wait, southbound PHL to WAS I almost always take the Carolinian instead of a Regional--is that affecting the odds?".

Does the Carolinian have dedicated trainsets of refurbished coaches which don't intermingle with the NEC Regional pool? Or have I just been extremely lucky?

I know in riding the Crescent it's hit-or-miss about getting a refurbished coach, and I'd say 40% is close to my experience there.
Well I guess I'll have to take back what I said earlier--from my few experiences on the NEC, it seemed that there were not many refurbished coaches, but from what you say it appears that I hit a few mostly unrefurbished trains.

Very few trains have a dedicated pool of cars that they pull from, and even then there is some amount of rotation. Unless a train has specialized equipment (like the Talgos or Auto Train's lounges) there will always be some rotation with the cars. Now that's not to say that they don't just turn some sets around and don't change a thing for certain trains. For example on the Vermonter you will see basically the same trainsets running through the Green Mountains day in day out unless something catastrophic happens. Now they will change out a coach or a cafe every now and then, but they stay together for the most part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back