Remember when people has class LOL

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The mixing up to me looks tacky.
"Tacky" It has been a long time since I heard that word. Love it. It was one of my cousin's favorite words for a dressing style that was either inappropriate or looked like close your eyes and grab things out of the drawers and closet and put them on without looking.

I do think of it from time to time when I see such things as something so low in the back that the bra band is higher than the back of the top. There are many others walking around here in SF that fit the word, but I mention that because I just saw one of those cases.

Actually one thing has 'improved' in recent years...there was a trend in the nineties for women to wear sneakers with otherwise dress clothes to and from work, changing into their heels at work. Now I see little of that. They wear their dress shoes while commuting.
Improved? I assume you mean that simply from a personal aesthetic point of view?
Yes, that is exactly what I mean...if you are going to dress casual, do so. If formal, do that. The mixing up to me looks tacky.

I didn't realize my comment would be such a 'touchy', hot button issue.

My apologies to anyone that I offended by it...
But its not mixing it up for style - its a functional issue. Again, I would like to see you walk to work for a mile in high heels. You really won't care what you look like while you are commuting after spending an entire day in high heels. I mean, some people on this board say never to even wear high heels on amtrak, yet you want women to commute - while walking and on public transit - in them?

If you see women at the office, going about their day and going to meetings, in sneakers and their business attire, then fine, call them tacky. But not female commuters. That is just mean.

Actually one thing has 'improved' in recent years...there was a trend in the nineties for women to wear sneakers with otherwise dress clothes to and from work, changing into their heels at work. Now I see little of that. They wear their dress shoes while commuting.
Improved? I assume you mean that simply from a personal aesthetic point of view?
Yes, that is exactly what I mean...if you are going to dress casual, do so. If formal, do that. The mixing up to me looks tacky.

But its not mixing it up for style - its a functional issue. Again, I would like to see you walk to work for a mile in high heels. You really won't care what you look like while you are commuting after spending an entire day in high heels. I mean, some people on this board say never to even wear high heels on amtrak, yet you want women to commute - while walking and on public transit - in them?

If you see women at the office, going about their day and going to meetings, in sneakers and their business attire, then fine, call them tacky. But not female commuters. That is just mean.
Agree, agree. I wonder if it's tacky if a man wearing a 3 piece suit takes off his coat & tie while commuting?

Precisely. It seems to be no different than men (or women) wearing some sort of boots for snow (or perhaps rain) and then changing shoes at work.

One trip on the Sunset Limited, I was seated next to a gentleman who warned me he liked to pray a lot, and might speak in tongues. I would have preferred the lady in the short-shorts. Fortunately it was just a short trip for me, and I spent most of the time in the lounge.

I miss those days. When I was growing up any trip required you to dress nicely. Not that the trip was a 3 piece suit affair, but nice and neat ruled the day. Today I see people board transportation, be it plane, train, or ship in little more (or less) than swimwear.
Hey! They're not slobs. They're just wearing ath-leisure!

Agree, agree. I wonder if it's tacky if a man wearing a 3 piece suit takes off his coat & tie while commuting?
Then I'm tacky and proud of it. My normal is to keep a tie in my desk, just in case. Otherwise, I do not wear one. My normal travel, IF I need a tie on the other end is to have it in pocket or around my neck and not tied and tie it just before I get to where I am going. Occasionally I do tie it before leaving as my normal commute train is the Ankle Express.

This makes me wonder, how did people dress back then on Greyhound or Traailways? It's always been the cheapest way to go. I mean i the 1950s when I was not born yet, I still think people today dress worse then when I was a kid.
Back then?

By Train, Plane, Bus, or whatever....everyone dressed up to go out "in public". Look at street scenes in any old photo or movie. People going shopping in department stores, going to the doctor, traveling, whatever, it was a more 'genteel' world back then. Exercise type clothes were changed into and out of at the gym, not worn while traveling.

Nowadays, the only place you see well dressed travelers, are weekdays on Northeast Corridor trains or commuter trains ridden mostly by business, and not leisure travelers...
Even in the "First Class" front of the plane - most of the pax are wearing sweats or running shorts or --
Yes, to an extent. I typically fly casually, even in FC and change upon arrival for any same day meetings. Usually, I schedule a travel day, with nothing scheduled, then do my thing the next day, and fly home following whatever business I had there-So, usually in jeans and a T-shirt/polo outbound, and business casual, or maybe a sport coat and slacks on return. Sitting in FC, you sometimes get to meet some really interesting people. The funny thing is, the more dressy the person, typically, the less important! The real big spenders who actually PAY for FC, (i.e. not upgraded though their rewards program) tend to dress more casually than the every day Joe like me, who scored an upgrade. (which, thankfully I do almost all the time. Makes flying a LOT more enjoyable!)

Edit to add: I NEVER fly in shorts or flip flops. Has nothing to do with style though, and everything to do with dressing for a potential emergency. Be it on a train, or plane, it's long pants and shoes, at the least. If there is ever an incident, and I need to get out, I don't really want to be doing it with flash burns, while running on sharp metal and glass barefoot! (8 years as a USAF aircrewman-always be prepared to evacuate-Those planes and trains are built by the lowest bidder!)
Do you wear a life vest on a cruise ship too, just in case?

This makes me wonder, how did people dress back then on Greyhound or Traailways? It's always been the cheapest way to go. I mean i the 1950s when I was not born yet, I still think people today dress worse then when I was a kid.
Back then?

By Train, Plane, Bus, or whatever....everyone dressed up to go out "in public". Look at street scenes in any old photo or movie. People going shopping in department stores, going to the doctor, traveling, whatever, it was a more 'genteel' world back then. Exercise type clothes were changed into and out of at the gym, not worn while traveling.

Nowadays, the only place you see well dressed travelers, are weekdays on Northeast Corridor trains or commuter trains ridden mostly by business, and not leisure travelers...
Even in the "First Class" front of the plane - most of the pax are wearing sweats or running shorts or --
Yes, to an extent. I typically fly casually, even in FC and change upon arrival for any same day meetings. Usually, I schedule a travel day, with nothing scheduled, then do my thing the next day, and fly home following whatever business I had there-So, usually in jeans and a T-shirt/polo outbound, and business casual, or maybe a sport coat and slacks on return. Sitting in FC, you sometimes get to meet some really interesting people. The funny thing is, the more dressy the person, typically, the less important! The real big spenders who actually PAY for FC, (i.e. not upgraded though their rewards program) tend to dress more casually than the every day Joe like me, who scored an upgrade. (which, thankfully I do almost all the time. Makes flying a LOT more enjoyable!)

Edit to add: I NEVER fly in shorts or flip flops. Has nothing to do with style though, and everything to do with dressing for a potential emergency. Be it on a train, or plane, it's long pants and shoes, at the least. If there is ever an incident, and I need to get out, I don't really want to be doing it with flash burns, while running on sharp metal and glass barefoot! (8 years as a USAF aircrewman-always be prepared to evacuate-Those planes and trains are built by the lowest bidder!)
I don't -- wear a life vest on a Cruise Ship. But I learn where they are. And I do wear long trousers (jeans) mostly for the warmth (not, obviously, on surface transport in the tropics) - and comfy sneakers however I travel. And I read the emergency escape instruction brochure. Mostly out of curiosity and boredom - why not?

As far as what the other pax are wearing - couldn't care less - unless they are so extremely underdressed as to be provocative or offensive. Which I've rarely seen.

We're all together in the same boat for the length of the ride - I'm not going to worry it.

Back then?

Wouldn't be caught dead on a cruise ship. But, I wear one when paddling one of my kayaks. Is it overkill to wear shoes and pants? Maybe. But, after a decade flying every day, you see some things. In 9 years, I had 4 ground evacuations due to fire/smoke, 2 Rapid Decompressions, lost 2 engines over the Atlantic and were seriously preparing for a ditching in the event we lost a 3rd, had a 4 engine rollback in the mountains at 300 feet, 2 hard landings, 3 small arms fire damage, etc etc etc. So, yeah, may be overkill, but I also know most injuries/fatalities are a result of not getting out of the plane. I simply believe in having a plan!

But, after a decade flying every day, you see some things. In 9 years, I had 4 ground evacuations due to fire/smoke, 2 Rapid Decompressions, lost 2 engines over the Atlantic and were seriously preparing for a ditching in the event we lost a 3rd, had a 4 engine rollback in the mountains at 300 feet, 2 hard landings, 3 small arms fire damage, etc etc etc. So, yeah, may be overkill, but I also know most injuries/fatalities are a result of not getting out of the plane. I simply believe in having a plan!
WOW - remind me not to stand next to you in a lightning storm.
laugh.gif

Wouldn't be caught dead on a cruise ship. But, I wear one when paddling one of my kayaks. Is it overkill to wear shoes and pants? Maybe. But, after a decade flying every day, you see some things. In 9 years, I had 4 ground evacuations due to fire/smoke, 2 Rapid Decompressions, lost 2 engines over the Atlantic and were seriously preparing for a ditching in the event we lost a 3rd, had a 4 engine rollback in the mountains at 300 feet, 2 hard landings, 3 small arms fire damage, etc etc etc. So, yeah, may be overkill, but I also know most injuries/fatalities are a result of not getting out of the plane. I simply believe in having a plan!
You encountered so many problems in 9 years? I didn't even know you were a pilot. Which airline do you fly for, what plane?

I also firmly believe in having a good plan. I always get so confused without one.

You encountered so many problems in 9 years? I didn't even know you were a pilot. Which airline do you fly for, what plane?

I also firmly believe in having a good plan. I always get so confused without one.
Swadian, read back, especially the ending line in parenthesis:

"I NEVER fly in shorts or flip flops. Has nothing to do with style though, and everything to do with dressing for a potential emergency. Be it on a train, or plane, it's long pants and shoes, at the least. If there is ever an incident, and I need to get out, I don't really want to be doing it with flash burns, while running on sharp metal and glass barefoot! (8 years as a USAF aircrewman-always be prepared to evacuate-Those planes and trains are built by the lowest bidder!)"

Last edited by a moderator:
Swadian Hardcore said:
1346194343[/url]' post='390235']
Shortline said:
1346183380[/url]' post='390163']Wouldn't be caught dead on a cruise ship. But, I wear one when paddling one of my kayaks. Is it overkill to wear shoes and pants? Maybe. But, after a decade flying every day, you see some things. In 9 years, I had 4 ground evacuations due to fire/smoke, 2 Rapid Decompressions, lost 2 engines over the Atlantic and were seriously preparing for a ditching in the event we lost a 3rd, had a 4 engine rollback in the mountains at 300 feet, 2 hard landings, 3 small arms fire damage, etc etc etc. So, yeah, may be overkill, but I also know most injuries/fatalities are a result of not getting out of the plane. I simply believe in having a plan!

While I do have a pilots license and fly a bit, all that occurred while I was a Loadmaster on C-130's in Alaska and Europe pushing beans, bodies and bullets out the back. 2500 flight hours, 64 countries. IFE's are fairly common on 30+ year old combat planes that were used hard. Many of the E models I flew had time in Vietnam, and we were still abusing them pretty hard in Bosnia, Yugoslavia and Kosovo.

"I NEVER fly in shorts or flip flops. Has nothing to do with style though, and everything to do with dressing for a potential emergency. Be it on a train, or plane, it's long pants and shoes, at the least. If there is ever an incident, and I need to get out, I don't really want to be doing it with flash burns, while running on sharp metal and glass barefoot! (8 years as a USAF aircrewman-always be prepared to evacuate-Those planes and trains are built by the lowest bidder!)"
When I posted what you quoted, I had already read your previous post. I do not understand what you are talking about. My post was directed solely at Shortline and was solely asking what he flies.

While I do have a pilots license and fly a bit, all that occurred while I was a Loadmaster on C-130's in Alaska and Europe pushing beans, bodies and bullets out the back. 2500 flight hours, 64 countries. IFE's are fairly common on 30+ year old combat planes that were used hard. Many of the E models I flew had time in Vietnam, and we were still abusing them pretty hard in Bosnia, Yugoslavia and Kosovo.
Thanks for the reply. I thought that you still fly everyday. Looks like you don't. Misunderstood your post.

When I posted what you quoted, I had already read your previous post. I do not understand what you are talking about. My post was directed solely at Shortline and was solely asking what he flies.

Thanks for the reply. I thought that you still fly everyday. Looks like you don't. Misunderstood your post.
I guess I just didn't understand how you could have read this:

(8 years as a USAF aircrewman)

and somehow thought that he was a commercial airline pilot. Sorry if I offended you.

Oh - and if you don't want replies to posts in the general thread, then pm the OP please.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah, that explains this.

But, I wear one when paddling one of my kayaks. Is it overkill to wear shoes and pants? Maybe. But, after a decade flying every day, you see some things. In 9 years, I had 4 ground evacuations due to fire/smoke, 2 Rapid Decompressions, lost 2 engines over the Atlantic and were seriously preparing for a ditching in the event we lost a 3rd, had a 4 engine rollback in the mountains at 300 feet, 2 hard landings, 3 small arms fire damage, etc etc etc. So, yeah, may be overkill, but I also know most injuries/fatalities are a result of not getting out of the plane. I simply believe in having a plan!
Those things were/are actually some fairly tough birds. Really low on the amenities, however. Had two flights in one, both in-country while being a member of an all expenses paid tour group in that lovely southeast asian vacation land. Being a passenger in one is sort of like being in a tin can that is being bounced around while people are throwing rocks at it. Did miss all your experiences including the small arms fire experience, but can't say that I feel deprived by having done so. Supposedly they are capable of taking off on only two engines.

Ah, that explains this.

But, I wear one when paddling one of my kayaks. Is it overkill to wear shoes and pants? Maybe. But, after a decade flying every day, you see some things. In 9 years, I had 4 ground evacuations due to fire/smoke, 2 Rapid Decompressions, lost 2 engines over the Atlantic and were seriously preparing for a ditching in the event we lost a 3rd, had a 4 engine rollback in the mountains at 300 feet, 2 hard landings, 3 small arms fire damage, etc etc etc. So, yeah, may be overkill, but I also know most injuries/fatalities are a result of not getting out of the plane. I simply believe in having a plan!
Those things were/are actually some fairly tough birds. Really low on the amenities, however. Had two flights in one, both in-country while being a member of an all expenses paid tour group in that lovely southeast asian vacation land. Being a passenger in one is sort of like being in a tin can that is being bounced around while people are throwing rocks at it. Did miss all your experiences including the small arms fire experience, but can't say that I feel deprived by having done so. Supposedly they are capable of taking off on only two engines.
Maybe with JATO... :cool:

5898047957_0a12fcbe9a.jpg

Otherwise it's going to take a REALLY long runway. :)

Ah, that explains this.

Maybe with JATO... :cool:

5898047957_0a12fcbe9a.jpg

Otherwise it's going to take a REALLY long runway. :)
Nice photo!

Love seeing the HF wire antenna running between forward fuselage and top of the vertical stabilizer ... not to mention the JATO units flaming!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back